Long desk with one end cut, falls from the other one

• Thread starter korec123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cut
In summary, the problem involves a desk with mass m1 and length L1, with one end angled at 45 degrees, placed on another desk with mass m2 and thickness d. The goal is to find the final velocity of the second desk, with no friction and using the information that the moment of inertia of a thin long rod with length l and mass m is 1/12ml^2. The attempt at a solution involves marking all the forces and using Newton's second law, but the use of moment of inertia is unclear. The poster has also provided a link to a duplicate post on a forum where they have posted a reply.
korec123

Homework Statement

Picture of problem : http://screenshot.sh/ouZAbUeL9Qzmj We have got a desk,mass m1, length L1 and thickness d, and L1>>d. One of it's ends is angled by 45 degree. At the beginning it is put on the other desk which thickness is also d and mass is m2. I have to find final velocity of the second desk, this one which is lying on the table. We skip friction. I also have information at the end of the task that Moment of inertia of thin long rod, length l, and mass m is 1/12ml^2.

Homework Equations

Io=1/12ml^2
F=ma.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really have any idea how to approach this task. What i could is just simply mark all the forces, just what i do every time when i do this kind of question (i mean, i have some mass and i have to find accelerate, whole basically based on 2nd Newton law's), but it didnt help. I ve only found that sin of the angle between first desk and the table is sin=d/L1-d. The biggest problem i think is that i don't know how to use info about moment of inertia in this question. If you can explain to me, how to approach this one and how to use moment of inertia i would be grateful. Thanks in advance,

PS. I am posting on advanced becouse nobody answered me on introductory.

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Long desk with one end cut, falls from the other one

1. What causes a long desk with one end cut to fall from the other end?

The most likely cause for a long desk with one end cut to fall from the other end is an imbalance in weight distribution. If the cut end is significantly heavier than the other end, it can cause the desk to topple over.

2. Can the falling of a long desk with one end cut be prevented?

Yes, there are several ways to prevent a long desk with one end cut from falling. One solution is to evenly distribute the weight on both ends of the desk. Another option is to secure the desk to the ground or a wall for added stability.

3. What factors can contribute to the imbalance of weight on a long desk with one end cut?

The weight of objects placed on the desk, such as books or a computer, can contribute to the imbalance. The dimensions and design of the desk can also play a role, as well as the type of material it is made of.

4. Are there any safety concerns to consider when using a long desk with one end cut?

Yes, there are potential safety concerns when using a long desk with one end cut. If the desk falls, it can cause injuries to anyone nearby or damage to surrounding objects. It is important to take precautions and properly balance the desk to avoid any accidents.

5. Is there a specific way to cut a long desk to minimize the risk of it falling?

There is no one specific way to cut a long desk to guarantee it will not fall, as it depends on various factors. However, ensuring that the cut end is not significantly heavier than the other end and properly securing the desk can help minimize the risk of it falling.