Logorithm/Exponential bacteria growth? Quick yes or no question.

In summary, the conversation discusses the growth of bacteria over time and trying to find the time it takes for the bacteria to reach a certain mass. The initial attempt at solving the problem using linear growth led to an estimate of around 9 hours, but the correct approach is to use exponential growth. The formula M=Ae^{rt} is used to find the initial amount of bacteria and the growth rate, which can be solved using two equations and two unknowns. The conversation also mentions the confusion about the relationship between time and mass in exponential growth.
Matriculator
Is this question equals to "after 9 hours"? I'm saying this because with each 2 hours, it's growing by a factor of 6 right? So it should normally be "after 9 hours" that the bacteria would have that mass?! I just want to know if it's right or not. I know of another way to solve it but it gives me a different answer. It this isn't right, I'll use that. Thank you.

Attachments

• hkh.PNG
    hkh.PNG
    6.7 KB · Views: 457
Physics news on Phys.org
Matriculator said:
Is this question equals to "after 9 hours"? I'm saying this because with each 2 hours, it's growing by a factor of 6 right? So it should normally be "after 9 hours" that the bacteria would have that mass?! I just want to know if it's right or not. I know of another way to solve it but it gives me a different answer. It this isn't right, I'll use that. Thank you.

No.
Exponential growth isn't linear growth, and that's what you're doing. Thriving populations do not grow at a linear scale.

Mentallic said:
No.
Exponential growth isn't linear growth, and that's what you're doing. Thriving populations do not grow at a linear scale.

Thank you. By re-doing it using g=e^rt, I got around 11. I think that about right, right?

"Around 11 hours"? You can be more accurate than that. How many minutes or even seconds?

Matriculator said:
Thank you. By re-doing it using g=e^rt, I got around 11. I think that about right, right?
If your estimate when mistakenly modelling it as linear growth was 9 hours to reach a particular mass, then modelling it as an exponential growth should give an answer less than 9 hours, I'd expect. So an answer of 11 hours sounds way off.

Why don't you show the steps in your working? (Unless maybe you are not wanting to present others in your class with a fully worked answer?)

NascentOxygen said:
If your estimate when mistakenly modelling it as linear growth was 9 hours to reach a particular mass, then modelling it as an exponential growth should give an answer less than 9 hours, I'd expect. So an answer of 11 hours sounds way off.

Why don't you show the steps in your working? (Unless maybe you are not wanting to present others in your class with a fully worked answer?)

Now I'm really confused. Redoing it I got 14.04 or something of the sort. Which was done by doing Ln(11)-Ln(17)=Answer. I took the answer and divided it by 2(because of the 2 hour difference). After doing that I took the Ln of 23 and divided it by the answer that I got for Ln(23). I'd made a mistake but I got somewhere around "14.04 hours". I thought that since the mass was increasing so would the time(the "after how many hours").

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:
"Around 11 hours"? You can be more accurate than that. How many minutes or even seconds?

I got a decimal number. 14.04, which I guess would be 14 hours and 2.4 minutes.

Matriculator said:
Now I'm really confused. Redoing it I got 14.04 or something of the sort. Which was done by doing Ln(11)-Ln(17)=Answer. I took the answer and divided it by 2(because of the 2 hour difference). After doing that I took the Ln of 23 and divided it by the answer that I got for Ln(23). I'd made a mistake but I got somewhere around "14.04 hours". I thought that since the mass was increasing so would the time(after how many hours).

Well that solution is a mess... Too many logical errors to count.

Let's start again from the beginning, shall we? The formula you want to use is

[tex]M=Ae^{rt}[/tex] where M is the mass of bacteria at time t, A is the initial amount of bacteria and r is the growth rate.
We don't know A or r, so we want to find them.

The first piece of info we are given is that after 5 hours, we have 11 grams of bacteria, so we will plug those values into the formula to obtain:

[tex]11 = Ae^{5r}[/tex]

Using the second piece of info, we get

[tex]17 = Ae^{7r}[/tex]

These are two equations in two unknowns, so it's possible to solve for A and r. Can you do this yourself?

p.s.
Matriculator said:
I thought that since the mass was increasing so would the time(the "after how many hours").
Since it took 2 hours to grow 6 grams more from 11 to 17g, it should take less than 2 hours to grow 6g more from 17 to 23g because of exponential growth (it grows faster as time goes on).

Mentallic said:
Well that solution is a mess... Too many logical errors to count.

Let's start again from the beginning, shall we? The formula you want to use is

[tex]M=Ae^{rt}[/tex] where M is the mass of bacteria at time t, A is the initial amount of bacteria and r is the growth rate.
We don't know A or r, so we want to find them.

The first piece of info we are given is that after 5 hours, we have 11 grams of bacteria, so we will plug those values into the formula to obtain:

[tex]11 = Ae^{5r}[/tex]

Using the second piece of info, we get

[tex]17 = Ae^{7r}[/tex]

These are two equations in two unknowns, so it's possible to solve for A and r. Can you do this yourself?

p.s.
Since it took 2 hours to grow 6 grams more from 11 to 17g, it should take less than 2 hours to grow 6g more from 17 to 23g because of exponential growth (it grows faster as time goes on).

I'm at school right now, I've class in a few minutes. But I'm going to print this out and try. Thank you.

Related to Logorithm/Exponential bacteria growth? Quick yes or no question.

1. Is logarithmic/exponential bacteria growth a natural process?

Yes.

2. Can logarithmic/exponential bacteria growth be observed in real-world situations?

Yes.

3. Does logarithmic/exponential bacteria growth follow a specific pattern?

Yes.

4. Is there a limit to logarithmic/exponential bacteria growth?

No.

5. Can the growth rate of bacteria be accurately predicted using logarithmic/exponential functions?

Yes.