Loglog Graph: Relation between N and E

In summary, the loglog-graph of $E$ in respect to $N$ represents the graph of $\log (E)$ in respect to $\log (N)$, and the function is linear.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

What does a loglog-graph represent?

For example if we have the following loglog-graph, which is the relation between $N$ and $E$ ?

View attachment 4871

Attachments

• DK6D6.png
    DK6D6.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 51
Physics news on Phys.org
Straight lines on a log-log plot correspond to power relationships of the form $y=a x^b$. The log-log plot can help you determine $a$ and $b$. See the link for info on how to do that.

Ackbach said:
Straight lines on a log-log plot correspond to power relationships of the form $y=a x^b$. The log-log plot can help you determine $a$ and $b$. See the link for info on how to do that.

So the loglog-graph of $E$ in respect to $N$ represents the graph of $\log (E)$ in respect to $\log (N)$, right?

Since the graphical representation of the function $\log{E (\log N)}$ is a straight line we conclude that the function is linear, so $\log E= a \log N+c \Rightarrow E=10^c N^a$.

Is it right so far?

The following table shows N and E(N).
View attachment 4872How can we use it to find $c$ and $a$ ? (Thinking)

Attachments

• gri.JPG
    gri.JPG
    3.6 KB · Views: 47
evinda said:
So the loglog-graph of $E$ in respect to $N$ represents the graph of $\log (E)$ in respect to $\log (N)$, right?

Since the graphical representation of the function $\log{E (\log N)}$ is a straight line we conclude that the function is linear, so $\log E= a \log N+c \Rightarrow E=10^c N^a$.

Is it right so far?

Yep!

The following table shows N and E(N). How can we use it to find $c$ and $a$ ? (Thinking)

That depends on whether the data you have is exactly on the graph, or only approximately on the graph. If exact, then just pick two points, get yourself a system of two equations in two unknowns, and solve. If inexact, then first you should fit a straight line to the data (typically least-squares fit), then just transform that line the way you just have, and you're done.

Ackbach said:
That depends on whether the data you have is exactly on the graph, or only approximately on the graph. If exact, then just pick two points, get yourself a system of two equations in two unknowns, and solve.

I took the last two data for $N$ and $E(N)$ and so I got the equations:

$$\log ( 164 \cdot 10^{-6})=a \log{(2 \cdot 10^2)}+c \\ \log{(41 \cdot 10^{-6})}= a \log{(4 \cdot 10^2)}+c$$

from which I got $a=-2, c=\log (656)-2$.

But according to log'('0.000164')''='a'*'log'('200')''+'c, log'('0.000041')''='a'*'log'('400')''+'c - Wolfram|Alpha the result is wrong.

So do you think that I might have a mistake at my calculations? Because I can't find one.. (Sweating)

evinda said:
I took the last two data for $N$ and $E(N)$ and so I got the equations:

$$\log ( 164 \cdot 10^{-6})=a \log{(2 \cdot 10^2)}+c \\ \log{(41 \cdot 10^{-6})}= a \log{(4 \cdot 10^2)}+c$$

from which I got $a=-2, c=\log (656)-2$.

But according to log'('0.000164')''='a'*'log'('200')''+'c, log'('0.000041')''='a'*'log'('400')''+'c - Wolfram|Alpha the result is wrong.

So do you think that I might have a mistake at my calculations? Because I can't find one.. (Sweating)

I'm confused. $\log(656)-2\approx 0.8169$, which is what W|A got.

Ackbach said:
I'm confused. $\log(656)-2\approx 0.8169$, which is what W|A got.

So is my result right although at [m] Wolfram [/m] it is $a \approx -2 $ while I got $a=-2$ ? (Thinking)

If W|A says it's approximately 2, I wouldn't worry about it. At that point, you probably don't have that many significant figures anyway, so worrying about that level of accuracy is counter-productive.

Related to Loglog Graph: Relation between N and E

1. What is a loglog graph?

A loglog graph is a type of graph where both the x-axis and y-axis have logarithmic scales. This means that the values on the axes increase in powers of 10, rather than in equal intervals.

2. How is a loglog graph useful in analyzing the relation between N and E?

A loglog graph is useful for visualizing the relationship between two variables that have a power-law or exponential relationship. In the case of N and E, a loglog graph can show the exponential growth of E as N increases.

3. How do I interpret the slope of a loglog graph?

The slope of a loglog graph represents the power of the relationship between the two variables. For example, a slope of 2 indicates a quadratic relationship, while a slope of 3 indicates a cubic relationship.

4. Can a loglog graph be used to determine the exact relationship between N and E?

While a loglog graph can show the general trend and power-law relationship between N and E, it cannot provide an exact mathematical equation for the relationship. Other statistical methods such as regression analysis may be used for more accurate determination of the relationship between N and E.

5. Can a loglog graph be used for non-exponential relationships?

Yes, a loglog graph can also be used to visualize and analyze non-exponential relationships, such as logarithmic or polynomial relationships. However, it is most commonly used for exponential relationships due to its ability to linearize the data.