Troubleshooting the Integral of dx/(x-sqrt(x+2)) in Calculus 2

• Thread starter mathrocks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, two methods were provided to solve this integral: using u-substitution and rationalizing the integrand. Both methods can be used to break the integral into simpler forms and solve for the final answer.
mathrocks
This one integral has been given me some problems.

integral of dx/(x-sqrt(x+2))

please keep in mind I am only in calc 2.

Physics news on Phys.org
mathrocks said:
This one integral has been given me some problems.

integral of dx/(x-sqrt(x+2))

please keep in mind I am only in calc 2.

You can do a u-substitution with u=(x+2)1/2. Then du=(1/2)(x+2)-1/2.

Now, you'll find that you don't have the du/dx in your integral, so you'll have to supply it yourself by multiplying the numerator and denominator of the integrand by 2(x+2)1/2 and separating factors accordingly.

That will turn your integrand into a rational function of u which will be much easier to integrate.

Well first thing i always do is when i have any function given like this is to rationalize it ..meaning multiply all of this with (x+sqrt(x+2))/(x+sqrt(x+2))
You will get then this sqrt up...
(x+sqrt(x+2)) / ((x^2)-x-2)
then you have (x+sqrt(x+2)) / (x-2)(x+1)
Then you can simply separate this integral into two.. int_x / ((x-2)(x+1))dx + int_sqrt(x+2) / ((x-2)(x+1))dx
from there by substitution you can easily sole both of them
:wink:

What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve. It is used to solve problems in calculus, physics, and engineering.

Why is integration important?

Integration is important because it allows us to find the total value of a quantity that is continuously changing over time or space. It is also used to solve many real-world problems in fields such as economics, biology, and statistics.

What are the different methods of integration?

The most common methods of integration are the definite integral, indefinite integral, and numerical integration. The definite integral is used to find the exact area under a curve, while the indefinite integral is used to find the antiderivative of a function. Numerical integration uses numerical techniques to approximate the area under a curve.

How is integration related to differentiation?

Integration and differentiation are inverse operations of each other. Integration finds the total value of a quantity, while differentiation finds the rate of change of that quantity. They are fundamental concepts in calculus and are used together to solve many problems in science and engineering.

What are some applications of integration in science?

Integration is used in many areas of science, including physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. Some examples of its applications include finding the velocity and acceleration of a moving object, determining the concentration of a chemical in a solution, and calculating the area under a population growth curve in biology.