Separating Liquids with an Electromagnetic Field

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential use of electro-magnetic fields to separate two liquids with different magnetic properties, specifically petrol and water. It is mentioned that such a method may require a significant amount of energy and may not be feasible in all cases. The suggestion of using magnetohydrodynamics is brought up, as well as the use of a centrifuge, which relies on the difference in density rather than electro-magnetic properties. The conversation then shifts to discussing the possibility of making a quiet submarine, with one suggestion being to create a vacuum between two hulls with ultra-rigid materials to prevent sound propagation.
bishwa
can't an electro-magnetic field be used to separate two liquids?
For example: petrol and water(as they have different magnetic properties)

i'd be grateful if someone helps me with this.

Biology news on Phys.org
Things like this usually require more energy than is feasible. But, perhaps in some cases it is possible and is even done. You might check into magnetohydrodynamics for related discussions.

How about a centrifuge?
(BTW, those usually use magnetic fields to spin the motor.) But it's much easier because you rely on the difference in density instead of the difference in electro-magnetic properties.

centrifuge can ofcourse an easier solution but it cannot be used efficiently when the amount considered is very large.Ive been doing some studies on magnetohydrodynamics(thanks Ivan for that was the first time i'd heard about it).

I wonder how you could make a submarine really quiet? Hmmm.

Originally posted by bishwa
centrifuge can ofcourse an easier solution but it cannot be used efficiently when the amount considered is very large.
Are you looking for a better way to clean up major oil spills on the ocean?

ivan seeking said:
I wonder how you could make a submarine really quiet? Hmmm.
Seems off topic, but I'll bite.
How about if you make your sub with 2 hulls, a thick one outside for the pressure and armor, and an inside skin with a gap between the two. You create a vacuum between the two skins with any supports or transmissions made with an ultra-rigid material. That way the vacuum can't propogate any internal sounds and the ultra-rigid material doesn't vibrate. I'll leave it up to you to design this ultra-rigid, non vibratable material.

Originally posted by J-Man
Seems off topic...
Not at all. I dare say no more. :smile:

1. What is separating liquids with an electromagnetic field?

Separating liquids with an electromagnetic field is a process in which a strong electromagnetic field is applied to a mixture of liquids, causing them to separate based on their different electrical properties.

2. How does separating liquids with an electromagnetic field work?

The process works by applying a strong electromagnetic field to the mixture of liquids. This field exerts a force on the charged particles in the liquids, causing them to move in different directions and separate from one another based on their different electrical properties.

3. What are the benefits of using an electromagnetic field to separate liquids?

Using an electromagnetic field to separate liquids has several benefits. It is a fast and efficient process, requiring minimal equipment and energy. It also allows for precise control over the separation process and can be used to separate a wide range of liquid mixtures.

4. Are there any limitations to separating liquids with an electromagnetic field?

While separating liquids with an electromagnetic field is a highly effective method, it does have some limitations. It is most effective for separating mixtures of liquids that have significantly different electrical properties. It may also be less effective for separating liquids that have similar properties or for separating solids from liquids.

5. What are some real-world applications of separating liquids with an electromagnetic field?

Separating liquids with an electromagnetic field has many practical applications. It is commonly used in the chemical and pharmaceutical industries to separate mixtures of liquids, such as oil and water. It is also used in environmental remediation to separate contaminants from water. Additionally, it is used in research labs for various scientific experiments and processes.