Are the equations of relativity closed

Phy: In summary, the conversation discusses whether the equations of relativity, specifically Gab=Tab and Gab+Uab=Tab with DUab=0, can both provide the same geometrical interpretation of gravity. The question remains unclear as to what is meant by "provide the same interpretation" as the equations have different solutions.
eljose79
Are the equations of relativity "closed"

Are the equations of relativity "closed" i mean if we can add an extra term of 0 covariant derivative to them without alter thes olution i mean if we have the equations

Gab=Tab , will the equations

Gab+Uab=Tab with DUab=0 (covariant derivative)

can both equation provide the same geometrical interpretation of gravity?...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The cosmological constant is essentially just that.

Originally posted by eljose79
Are the equations of relativity "closed" i mean if we can add an extra term of 0 covariant derivative to them without alter thes olution i mean if we have the equations

Gab=Tab , will the equations

Gab+Uab=Tab with DUab=0 (covariant derivative)

can both equation provide the same geometrical interpretation of gravity?...

Can you rephrase this question? You write

".., will the equations (..) can both provide the same geometrical interpretation of gravity."

I don't know what this means. They clearly have different solutions.

Pmb

1. Are the equations of relativity closed?

The equations of relativity are considered to be closed because they are self-contained and do not require any external assumptions or constants. This means that all necessary information is contained within the equations themselves.

2. How do the equations of relativity work?

The equations of relativity, specifically the theory of general relativity, describe the relationship between space, time, and gravity. They are used to calculate the effects of gravity on the motion of objects in the universe.

3. Are the equations of relativity consistent with experimental evidence?

Yes, the equations of relativity have been extensively tested and have been found to be consistent with a wide range of experimental evidence, including the bending of light by massive objects and the measurements of time dilation and length contraction.

4. Are there any limitations to the equations of relativity?

While the equations of relativity have been successful in describing the behavior of gravity on large scales, they break down when trying to explain the behavior of subatomic particles. This is where the theories of quantum mechanics come into play.

5. What is the significance of the equations of relativity?

The equations of relativity have revolutionized our understanding of the universe and have been essential in predicting and explaining many observed phenomena, such as black holes and the expanding universe. They have also played a crucial role in the development of technologies such as GPS and satellite communications.