Having a serious mental block

• Thread starter falcon0311
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block
In summary, if the car is to move up an 8.0% grade (8.0 m vertically for every 100 m horizontally), it needs to supply 35.9 kW of power.
falcon0311
1700kg automobile moving at a constant speed of 15 m/s, the motor supplies 16 kW of power to overcome friction, wind resistance, etc. What power must be supplied if the car is to move up an 8.0% grade (8.0 m vertically for every 100 m horizontally).

If power = force x velocity, can I somehow use gravity to help find power?

I'm mainly looking for a jumpstart as I seem to be having a lot of problems with energy problems. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the force that's resisting the car's motion?

cookiemonster

Power is also energy (or work) per unit time.

The force acting against it moving up the incline would be gravity (I'm going to assume the friction's the same as before). I've got the angle of the incline as 4.57 degrees or something like that. So the force of gravity acts against it as it moves up this small incline, the engine has to produce a little more power, right?

Correct.

cookiemonster

Think about what happens to the car's energy as it climbs at constant speed.

gnome said:
Think about what happens to the car's energy as it climbs at constant speed.

It loses kinetic energy and gains potential energy? I'm not sure what set of tracks you're trying to get me on.

For some reason I keep coming up with 35.9 kW. Does this seem right to anyone?

I take mg*sin(theta) and add that to the original force I got from taking 16000 W / 15 m/s = 1067 N + 1327 N = 2394 N * 15 m/s = 35.9 kW.

At constant speed kinetic energy is constant. Only potential energy changes.

I get the same result this way:

Looking at the ramp (or whatever) as a right triangle you have the horizontal leg 100 m, the vertical leg 8 m, so the sloped surface is √(10064) & sin[tex]\theta[/tex] = 8/√(10064).

The vertical component of velocity vy=15sin[tex]\theta[/tex]=15*8/√(10064) = 1.196m/s

Potential energy u = mgh
Rate of increase of potential energy:
u/t = mgh/t = mgvy = 1700*9.8*1.196=19.9kJ/s=19.9kW
this is the amount of power needed to increase height at that speed at that angle.
Add to the power needed to overcome friction, etc. which you already had:
16 + 19.9 =35.9kW

Thanks for the help!

1. What is a mental block?

A mental block is a temporary inability to remember or process information or to perform a task, often caused by stress, anxiety, or a lack of focus.

2. How do I know if I have a mental block?

Some signs of a mental block may include difficulty concentrating, forgetfulness, feeling overwhelmed, and struggling to complete tasks that were once easy.

3. What causes a mental block?

Mental blocks can be caused by a variety of factors, such as stress, anxiety, fatigue, fear of failure, lack of motivation, or distractions.

4. How can I overcome a mental block?

There are several strategies to overcome a mental block, such as taking a break and clearing your mind, using relaxation techniques, breaking down tasks into smaller, manageable steps, and seeking support from a therapist or counselor.

5. Can a mental block be prevented?

While it may not be possible to completely prevent a mental block, there are steps you can take to minimize its occurrence. These include practicing stress management techniques, maintaining a healthy lifestyle, setting achievable goals, and seeking help when needed.