Working on a large battery system

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem with a battery system that is floating in reference to ground and experiencing leakage issues. The individual is using a multimeter to troubleshoot the problem, but is encountering phantom readings that seem to move without interference. The concept of "ghost troubleshooting" is brought up, where experience and intuition are necessary to pinpoint the source of the problem. The conversation also mentions using a half split method and visual inspection to locate the problem. The idea of using an oscilloscope to detect RF oscillations is also suggested.
sheldon
You may think I am in the wrong area for this thread, but this is not about ghosts per say. I was working on a large battery system that is suppose to be floating in referance to ground. These batteries are gel cells and are haveing problems with leaks. These leaks are causing ground faults in the system. I was trying to troubleshoot the problem using a multimeter measuring the voltage from ground to the posts on the batteries. In theory the battery that has the least voltage or where the voltage flips from posative to negative is the location of the ground fault. I found several readings like this and thought I found my ground fault. I left and came back and the low or flipped point has moved without any interference from me. I was confused and thought there was more to this that meets the eye, so I conducted some research and found out that this has been labeled as ghost troubleshooting and no true procedure can accomplish pinpointing the problem and only experience can make it happen. Has anybody herd of this? I realize that ground is a general term as far as voltage potential zero. I would still think the ground fault would still be in the same location though? Any wizzards out there no the physics behind this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
sorry for the wizzard reply, can anybody help with this

Well, if you have floating ground, and you have ground faults, then it seems natural that you have floating faults, isn't it?

There are faults that cannot be easily found by meters, good understanding about how it works and what can go wrong is needed. For eg. audio amp can loose all of its power and get hot. You start measuring it, and it recovers immediately. As soon as you touch it with a meter, it heals. Actual cause occurs to be feedback induced oscillation at very high (radio) frequencies. You not only hardly detect it due to low amplitude, but you simply don't even think about it, its audio amp afterall. Meter merely shuts down the oscillation. Knowing this is part of 'experience'.
There is hardly any true procedure to pinpoint the source of a problem, other than 1) understand how it works, 2) understand what can go wrong, 3) eliminate all that can go wrong

So, without understanding schematic its hard to tell anything. The more experience you have, the less 'eliminate all' you'd have to exercise, you'd go directly to source of problem 'by intuition'.

how many batteries are there?

R they in series or parallel? beisides gnd is gnd but the best way to troubleshoot this is by using a half split method. that is mewasuring in the middle to find the fault, if its in the middle 1/2 split that till you find where the voltage drops. I am thinking a leaking battery, you should be able to visually see this to locate your battery problem, sir.
Let me know if this helps?
Dx :wink:

Originally posted by Dx
R they in series or parallel? beisides gnd is gnd but the best way to troubleshoot this is by using a half split method. that is mewasuring in the middle to find the fault, if its in the middle 1/2 split that till you find where the voltage drops. I am thinking a leaking battery, you should be able to visually see this to locate your battery problem, sir.
Let me know if this helps?
Dx :wink:

Yes I have already located the problems via careful inspection and cleaning. I am just trying to understand what caused the phantom readings. Your right about the how to troubleshoot the problem and it works to a point. Thanks for your help

I've worked with amps too

and when things get really weird put a good o'scope on it, or even near it. If it has RF oscillations you can find them.

weird

What is a large battery system?

A large battery system is a collection of multiple batteries connected together to provide a larger storage capacity and power output. These systems are typically used for energy storage and backup power applications.

What are the benefits of working on a large battery system?

Working on a large battery system can provide many benefits, such as:

• Increased energy storage capacity
  • Ability to handle larger power loads
  • More reliable and stable power supply
  • Reduced costs compared to using multiple smaller batteries
  • Flexibility to add or remove batteries as needed

What are some potential challenges of working on a large battery system?

Some challenges of working on a large battery system may include:

• Higher upfront costs for purchasing and installation
  • Maintenance and monitoring requirements for multiple batteries
  • Potential safety hazards due to high voltage and large battery banks
  • Need for proper ventilation and cooling systems to prevent overheating

What are the different types of large battery systems?

There are several types of large battery systems, including:

• Lead-acid batteries: These are the most common type of battery used in large systems and are known for their low cost and durability.
  • Lithium-ion batteries: These are becoming increasingly popular due to their high energy density and longer lifespan.
  • Fuel cell batteries: These use hydrogen fuel to produce electricity and are often used for backup power applications.
  • Flow batteries: These use electrolyte solutions to store and release energy and are best suited for long-term energy storage.

What are some important considerations when designing a large battery system?

When designing a large battery system, it is important to consider factors such as:

• The specific energy and power requirements for the intended application
  • The type and chemistry of the batteries to be used
  • The location and environment where the system will be installed
  • The expected lifespan and maintenance requirements of the system
  • The overall cost and budget for the project