Logic equivalence and implication, question

In summary, the formula $(W\lor E\to D)\land(E\land\neg W)\to\neg D$ gives the same truth table as $(W\land E\to D)\land(E\land\neg W).
sadsadsadsa
Hey guys I am having a bit of a difficult time with this question, if some one could help me out it would be appreciated, thanks.

Consider the following argument. "If the weather is fine, and the train is early, then the dog will sit on the tuckerbox. The train will be early, (but) also there will be rain. So the dog will not sit on the tuckerbox."Let W mean "the weather will be fine", E mean "the train will come early" and D mean "the dog will sit on the tuckerbox".

I get a formula like this: (W v E -> D) ^ (E ^ ~W) -> ~D. Am i right? I don't know how to do the rest. When i try working out the second question i get BDFH, i think I am right for that one but the first question I am still not sure.

(1) (2)
View attachment 4371View attachment 4372

Attachments

• q1.png
    q1.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 64
  • q2.png
    q2.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does the "comparison table" mean "truth table"?

sadsadsadsa said:
I get a formula like this: (W v E -> D) ^ (E ^ ~W) -> ~D. Am i right?
It should say $W\land E$, not $W\lor E$.

sadsadsadsa said:
When i try working out the second question i get BDFH
Isn't it the answer to the first question, i.e., rows where D is T?

sadsadsadsa said:
the first question I am still not sure.
Do you know how to construct truth tables? If yes, then what exactly is your difficulty? If no, then you should be asking for references describing how to do it.

You can construct a truth table using the mathematics software system SageMath if you go here, enter the following code:
Code:
import sage.logic.propcalc as propcalc
f = propcalc.formula("(W & E -> D) & (E & ~W) -> ~D")
f.truthtable()
and press "Evaluate".

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Does the "comparison table" mean "truth table"?

It should say $W\land E$, not $W\lor E$.

Isn't it the answer to the first question, i.e., rows where D is T?

Do you know how to construct truth tables? If yes, then what exactly is your difficulty? If no, then you should be asking for references describing how to do it.

You can construct a truth table using the mathematics software system SageMath if you go here, enter the following code:
Code:
import sage.logic.propcalc as propcalc
f = propcalc.formula("(W & E -> D) & (E & ~W) -> ~D")
f.truthtable()
and press "Evaluate".

This is wrong, i found the compound proposition equation for the first premisis, second premisis, and conclusion but somehow i keep getting the wrong answer. The second question which asked
In which rows of the last column does T appear?

the answer was B,D,F,H just like I said, but the first question is still not right.

Last edited:
sadsadsadsa said:
This is wrong, i found the compound proposition equation for the first premisis, second premisis, and conclusion but somehow i keep getting the wrong answer.
The first premise is, "If the weather is fine and the train is early, then the dog will sit on the tuckerbox". The formula should therefore be $W\land E\to D$, not $W\lor E\to D$. Do you agree?

The truth table for $(W\land E\to D)\land(E\land\neg W)\to\neg D$ has a single F in the last column, namely, for $E=D=T$ and $W=F$. It has T in all other rows. The formula $(W\lor E\to D)\land(E\land\neg W)\to\neg D$ has the same truth table. Which formula gives you T in rows 2, 4, 6, 8 (B, D, F, H)?

Evgeny.Makarov said:
The first premise is, "If the weather is fine and the train is early, then the dog will sit on the tuckerbox". The formula should therefore be $W\land E\to D$, not $W\lor E\to D$. Do you agree?

The truth table for $(W\land E\to D)\land(E\land\neg W)\to\neg D$ has a single F in the last column, namely, for $E=D=T$ and $W=F$. It has T in all other rows. The formula $(W\lor E\to D)\land(E\land\neg W)\to\neg D$ has the same truth table. Which formula gives you T in rows 2, 4, 6, 8 (B, D, F, H)?

I get the same formula as you, but i know for sure B,D,F,H is the answer for the second question and should be the last column, i do not know what formula gives this. what do you get for the second last column as the answer, because so far i keep getting it wrong.

Here is the whole question I just don't know that one question:

View attachment 4375

Attachments

• Optimized-111111-small-min.jpg
    Optimized-111111-small-min.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
In the standard truth table, the column for the last variable (D in this case) has T precisely in even rows when rows are counted from 1. You can see the complete truth table generated by Sage as described in post #2. Other than that, I don't understand how you are constructing your truth table and even whether "comparison table" is the same as "truth table"; you have not responded to my question about that.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
In the standard truth table, the column for the last variable (D in this case) has T precisely in even rows when rows are counted from 1. You can see the complete truth table generated by Sage as described in post #2. Other than that, I don't understand how you are constructing your truth table and even whether "comparison table" is the same as "truth table"; you have not responded to my question about that.

I constructed my truth table just like you suggested, all I cannot understand is what the answer is for the second last column. I don't understand isn't my comparison table just a truth table for my formula, what am i doing wrong? What do you get for the second last column because whatever I'm putting as my answer I am doing something wrong. CAN ANYONE HELP ME?

Last edited:
The term "comparison table" is not standard in propositional logic. Perhaps it is important to figure out exactly what it means and what columns are last and second last (in general, not for this specific argument). Only you can do this by reviewing your textbook or lecture notes. If you find the definition, post it here and we will try to figure out the apparent answer to question 15 (B, D, F, H). So far all I can do it show the truth table for the formula that corresponds to this argument.
Code:
W      E      D      value
False  False  False  True   
False  False  True   True   
False  True   False  True   
False  True   True   False  
True   False  False  True   
True   False  True   True   
True   True   False  True   
True   True   True   True
It is also possible that question 15 is mistaken and is asking about the second last column after all.

Related to Logic equivalence and implication, question

1. What is logic equivalence?

Logic equivalence refers to the relationship between two logical statements or expressions that have the same truth value in all possible scenarios. In other words, if two statements are logically equivalent, they will always have the same truth value, regardless of the inputs or conditions.

2. How is logic equivalence different from logical implication?

While logic equivalence means that two statements have the same truth value, logical implication refers to the relationship between two statements where one statement (the antecedent) logically leads to the other statement (the consequent). In other words, if the antecedent is true, the consequent must also be true, but the opposite is not necessarily true.

3. What is the symbol used for logical equivalence?

The symbol used for logical equivalence is ≡ (triple bar). This symbol means "if and only if" and is used to denote that two statements are logically equivalent.

4. How can I prove logic equivalence?

To prove that two statements are logically equivalent, you can use truth tables or logical equivalency laws. Truth tables involve listing out all possible combinations of inputs and determining the truth value of the statements for each combination. If the truth values are always the same, the statements are logically equivalent. Logical equivalency laws are a set of rules that can be used to transform one statement into another, and if the two statements are equivalent, they will have the same truth value.

5. Why is logic equivalence important?

Logic equivalence is important in mathematics, computer science, and other fields because it allows us to simplify and manipulate logical statements without changing their truth value. This makes it easier to analyze and understand complex systems and logical arguments. Additionally, logic equivalence is the foundation for many logical proof techniques, such as proof by contradiction.