Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

logging in

karush

Jan 31, 2012
I have to repeatedly log in
often losing everything I just created for post

why can't we log in
using our chrome account
like other sites

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
When you log in, do you check the "Remember Me?" box? I never get logged out, except when I manually log out for testing purposes. I don't know what you mean by logging in using your "Chrome Account." I can't speak for everyone on staff here, but I would prefer people log in using their MHB account.

karush

Jan 31, 2012
"Remember me" works on the pull down
but still kicks you out.
happens mostly when trying to submit posts

Overleaf lets you log in Using gmail (via chtome) account
you never get kicked out.

I always have both open at UHW
MHB is a pain log in wise
I gave up and just create and edit posts outside then paste in
when you spend an hour preparing a post
and then mhb says you not logged in (and you just did)
and your post is gone doesn't feel to good
i've never had this problem with other math forums
but mhb is best for help

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
From what I have just read, this may be a cookie issue...try clearing all your cookies and see if the issue persists. :)

karush

Jan 31, 2012
the same problem exists at UHW computers
I have to constantly log in to MHB
lose posts too many times

Dropbox is another site I log in
it never kicks me out even if I close the browser
I have to personally log out

I don't think this is cookie problem its a site problem

I also have the same problem at the library

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
...I don't think this is cookie problem its a site problem...
It this were a "site problem," I would think more people would be reporting this. As I said, I have never been logged out unless I purposefully log myself out. (Emo)

I go for months sometimes not having to log in. (Bandit)

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Same here. It's rare that I have to log in.

Still, your locations sound as public locations that probably have some privacy protection in place?
Perhaps cookies are not saved at all or something like that?
MHB probably has a timeout for a session, which is normally irrelevant since the browser keeps cookies.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Same here. It's rare that I have to log in.

Still, your locations sound as public locations that probably have some privacy protection in place?
Perhaps cookies are not saved at all or something like that?
MHB probably has a timeout for a session, which is normally irrelevant since the browser keeps cookies.
Yes, our session timeout is set at 25 minutes. :D

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Yes, our session timeout is set at 25 minutes. :D
I think that means that if there's no actual interaction with MHB for 25 minutes, the session is terminated.
So that would happen if we take more than 25 minutes to type a response after clicking the reply button, without previewing in between.
And that would also happen if MHB is left in the background for more than 25 minutes.
Does that sound about correct karush ?

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I think that means that if there's no actual interaction with MHB for 25 minutes, the session is terminated.
Yes, and the user no longer shows up in any of the queries to get "active" users, such as in the "What's Going On?" block, online status in the postbits, and user profiles, to name a few off the top of my head.

So that would happen if we take more than 25 minutes to type a response after clicking the reply button, without previewing in between.
And that would also happen if MHB is left in the background for more than 25 minutes.
To be honest, I never post like that. I kind of already have what I'm going to post organized in my mind, then I "power through" it from beginning to end, with several previews along the way, particularly if there are any TikZ images or Desmos graphs, as well as $\LaTeX$. Even so, I frequently find there's a typo I need to edit once I've submitted. :eek:

I do however leave MHB in the background for longer than 25 minutes at times, just never in mid post...but I never have to log back in when I do so.

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
I do however leave MHB in the background for longer than 25 minutes at times, just never in mid post...but I never have to log back in when I do so.
Sometimes I discover mid post that I missed something and have to think about it some more.
If I continue later and try to post, it can be tricky to avoid losing what I typed.
Because even though the browser will automatically log in again, the session did expire.
Typically I have to refresh, which means I'll lose what I typed if I'm not careful.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Sometimes I discover mid post that I missed something and have to think about it some more.
If I continue later and try to post, it can be tricky to avoid losing what I typed.
Because even though the browser will automatically log in again, the session did expire.
Typically I have to refresh, which means I'll lose what I typed if I'm not careful.
The forum software is supposed to auto-save post content every 60 seconds, but I don't know just how reliable that is in cases of session expiry. :D

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Another option would be to code for the user's browser to save post content in the same way data in the $\LaTeX$ Live Preview element is saved (this will persist until the browser's cache is cleared) and have it removed only when the post is submitted...I have thought about that in the past, but decided against it since the forum software already does an auto-save every 60 seconds. :D

karush

Jan 31, 2012
i have had to log in as much as 10 times every hour at UH computers.

this happen mostly when submitting a post the popup say "you must be logged in"
then my entire post is gone and was not saved

other sites that I log into no such problem

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
i have had to log in as much as 10 times every hour at UH computers.

this happen mostly when submitting a post the popup say "you must be logged in"
then my entire post is gone and was not saved

other sites that I log into no such problem
That is indeed pretty bad.
Sounds like your browser terminates the session after about 5 minutes, which makes sense from a privacy perspective in a public location.
I think that means we would need to keep the session alive within that time.
Perhaps we could 'ping' MHB every minute or so while we're still typing. Or perhaps we could autosave to MHB itself instead of locally, which may be blocked. That would have the same effect.
Other sites like gmail and dropbox would effectively already do that.

When you say that 'other math sites' do not have this problem, does that include other vBulletin forums, such as MHF, or different sites, such as math stack exchange?

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
That sounds frustrating, karush. I am sorry that this has been a recurring problem and thank you for letting us know.

From everything you've told us, I think this is something to do with your university's system or when you are typing out posts you are typing for 25 minutes or more before previewing/submitting. If it's the former, then we'll have to be creative but for now I think the best thing to do would be to increase the session timeout to 1 hour and see if that helps. If you have to log in 10 times per hour though I am not that hopeful about this solution.

I think we should also focus on testing alternative ways of logging into the site, like Google integration, and saving posts in one's browser as MarkFL described. These might help losing posts and the time needed to log back in.

Lastly, I'll see if we can look at user session info directly in our logs and find out what's going on. I'm not sure if these exist and if they do we certainly don't look at them, but maybe that can be useful in figuring out what's going on.

karush

Jan 31, 2012
yes it seems to happen mostly at the UH West computers The Manoa computer seem ok

I know when I login with overleaf I stay in all day
but its log in with gmail account

I was wondering if MHB could do that

I used to go MHF didn't have log in problems
but their LaTEX input was very poor.

MHB has a very good LaTEX plus the live review which is really cool