How Fast Will the Mass Be Just Before It Hits the Ground?

• Thread starter benp
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a 4.0 kg mass connected to an 8.0 kg wheel through a massless string and frictionless pulley. The wheel has a radius of 0.5 m and a moment of inertia of 2.0 kg*m^2. The mass is released from a height of 2.0 m and the question asks for its speed just before it hits the ground. The hint is to apply the conservation of mechanical energy. The person asking for help has been working on the problem for a day but has not been able to come up with the correct answer, despite using the conservation of mechanical energy. They have asked for assistance on the forums.
benp
Here is the problem, I've been trying for a day but can't seem to come up with the right answer.

A 4.0 kg mass is connected by a massless string over a massless and frictionless pulley to the center of an 8.0 kg wheel. Assume that the wheel has a radius of .5 m and a moment of inertia of 2.0 kg*m^2. The mass is released from rest at a height of 2.0 m above the ground. What will its speed be just before it strikes the ground? (Hint: Apply conservation of mechanical energy.)

Well, any help would be appreciated. I've tried cons. of mech. energy, but I come up with a wrong answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi benp,

Can you please post what you've done so far, so we can find where the mistake is?

Welcome to the forums.

I'd love to but the stuff's in my car (which my sister's using right now). Ugh...if you only knew how long I've been working on this. It's getting late here now (almost 2am) but if you could help any I would apprecaite it very much.

1. What type of problem do you need help with?

As a scientist, I work on a broad range of topics and can help with various types of problems. However, my expertise lies in the fields of biology, chemistry, physics, and environmental science. Please provide more information about your specific problem so I can determine if I am the right person to assist you.

2. How long will it take for you to solve my problem?

The time it takes for me to solve a problem depends on a variety of factors, such as the complexity of the problem, the availability of resources, and the amount of research needed. I will work diligently to find a solution as quickly as possible without compromising the accuracy and quality of my work.

3. Can you provide a step-by-step solution to my problem?

Yes, as a scientist, I am trained to approach problems systematically and provide step-by-step solutions. However, the complexity of the problem and the amount of information available may affect the level of detail in my solution. Rest assured, I will do my best to explain my thought process and provide a clear solution.

4. Do I need to have a background in science to understand your solution?

My goal as a scientist is to make complex concepts accessible to everyone. I will do my best to explain my solution in simple terms, but some basic understanding of science may be helpful. If you have any specific questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

5. Will my problem remain confidential?

Yes, as a scientist, I adhere to ethical standards, which include maintaining confidentiality. Your problem and any information provided will remain private and will not be shared with anyone without your consent.