Logarithms disinfectant spray problem

Take log and solve for n: n=5.In summary, to reduce the germs in a room to 10% of the original amount, the disinfectant spray must be used for 5 consecutive days, taking into account the 50% decrease and 25% increase in germs.
XJellieBX
Question:
A new disinfectant spray is expected to kill 50% of the known germs in a room, but for health reasons it can only be used once a day. Between spraying, the germs increase by 25%. How many consecutive days of spraying are required to reduce the germs in the room to 10% of the original amount?

Relevant equations:
A=Ao(1+i)^n

Attempt:
0.10Po=Po(0.50)^d + 0.25Po(0.50)^d
0.10=0.50^d + 0.25(0.50)^d
0.10=1.25(0.50)^d
0.08=0.50^d
log0.08=log0.50^d
log0.08=dlog0.50
d=[tex]\frac{log0.08}{log0.50}[/tex]
d=4

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? The answer is supposed to be 5 days.

Physics news on Phys.org
what do the variables of your relevant equation pertain to?

A is the final amount. Ao is the initial amount. i is the increase or decrease. and n is the number of periods.

i'm unable to follow your problem but when we solve for n, which i assume is the number of days

[tex]A=A_{0}(1+i)^{n}[/tex]

divide by A initial and then take the log of both sides and then solve for n

yea, i tried doing that. but the answer didn't come out right.

If A is the number of germs then after spraying A->0.5*A. After waiting a day that number increases by 25%. So that's multiplication by 1.25. Put the two together and from one day to the next A->0.5*A*1.25=0.625*A. So that's 0.1=(0.625)^n.

Related to Logarithms disinfectant spray problem

1. What is the "Logarithms disinfectant spray problem"?

The "Logarithms disinfectant spray problem" refers to a mathematical problem that involves using logarithms to determine the concentration of a disinfectant spray needed to effectively kill a certain number of bacteria. This problem is frequently used in scientific research and is often presented in textbooks and classroom settings.

2. How do logarithms help solve the disinfectant spray problem?

Logarithms help solve the disinfectant spray problem by allowing us to convert exponential equations into simpler, more manageable forms. In this problem, logarithms are used to find the concentration of the disinfectant spray by manipulating the equation to solve for the unknown variable.

3. What are the key steps to solving the logarithms disinfectant spray problem?

The key steps to solving the logarithms disinfectant spray problem are:1. Identify the known and unknown variables in the problem.2. Use the given information to set up an exponential equation.3. Take the logarithm of both sides of the equation.4. Use the properties of logarithms to simplify the equation.5. Solve for the unknown variable.

4. Why is the logarithms disinfectant spray problem important in scientific research?

The logarithms disinfectant spray problem is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to determine the most effective concentration of a disinfectant spray to kill a specific number of bacteria. This information is crucial in developing and testing new disinfectants and understanding their effectiveness in controlling the spread of diseases.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the logarithms disinfectant spray problem?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of the logarithms disinfectant spray problem. For example, scientists may use this problem to determine the appropriate concentration of disinfectant spray to use in hospitals, schools, and other public places to prevent the spread of bacteria and viruses. In addition, this problem can also be applied to other areas such as water treatment, food safety, and environmental sanitation.