Is This PV Diagram Calculation Correct?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving plotting a P-V diagram and finding various values for a monatomic ideal gas. The solution presented includes calculations for internal energy, work, and heat exchange for each leg of the gas's expansion. The accuracy of the solution is confirmed by another member, and a question is raised about the term "isometric" which is clarified to mean "isochoric".
zaf
Hello forum members

I have a HW problem on ploting a P-V digram, I worked out a solution..can someone have a look at it and let me know if I am correct

the Question is as follows

2 moles of a monatomic ideal gas initially occupies a volum of 100 liters at a pressure of 100 KPa. The gas then expands iobarically to 200 liters (leg 1->2), followed by an isometric pressure increase to 300 KPa (leg 2-3), and ending in an isobaric expansion to 300 liters (leg 3->4).

Find change in U (internal energy) for each leg
Find W (work) for each leg
Find Q (heat exchange) for each leg

here is part of the solution

T1 = (100000 * .10) / (8.314 * 2) = 601 K
U1 = (3/2)*2*8.31*601 = 14982 J

T2 = (100000 * .20) / (8.31 * 2) = 1203 K
U2 = (3/2)*2*8.31*1203 = 29990 joules

Therefore
U for leg 1->2 is +15008.79 joules

W for leg 1-2 would be 10000 joules, which is P times change in volume

Am i correct so far...if that is so...then i can solve the rest

Zaf

Physics news on Phys.org
hmmm

Its a while since i did this, but i think that's correct. I got dU by using dU = nCdT = 2 * 12.47 * 602 = 15014 J which is close enough.

Your method for working out the work is correct i think, i also got 10,000 J

What is isometric? i know of isobaric (const pressure), isochoric (const volume), isothermic (const temp), but isometric I've not heard of..

I presume isometric means isochoric?

ar

Hello Zafar,

Your solution looks correct so far. The change in internal energy for leg 1-2 is +15008.79 joules. The work done by the gas for this leg would be 10000 joules, as you have calculated. To find the heat exchange for this leg, you would need to use the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy (ΔU) equals the heat exchange (Q) minus the work done (W). So for leg 1-2, the heat exchange would be 25008.79 joules (15008.79 + 10000). You can continue this approach for the remaining legs and solve the problem. Good job on your solution so far!

1. What is a PV diagram?

A PV diagram, also known as a pressure-volume diagram, is a graphical representation of the relationship between pressure and volume in a thermodynamic system. It is a useful tool for understanding the changes in state of a gas as it undergoes various processes.

2. How is a PV diagram created?

A PV diagram is created by plotting the pressure on the y-axis and the volume on the x-axis. The graph is typically divided into four quadrants, with the top left representing positive work done on the system and the bottom right representing positive work done by the system.

3. What does a PV diagram tell us?

A PV diagram can tell us about the work done on or by the system, the change in internal energy, and the heat transferred during a process. It can also help us determine the efficiency of a process and the direction of heat flow.

4. What are some common processes shown on a PV diagram?

Some common processes shown on a PV diagram include isobaric (constant pressure), isothermal (constant temperature), adiabatic (no heat transfer), and isochoric (constant volume) processes. Each process has a unique shape on the diagram.

5. How can a PV diagram be used in engineering?

A PV diagram is a useful tool in engineering as it allows for the analysis and optimization of thermodynamic systems and processes. It can also aid in the design of engines and other devices that utilize gas as a working fluid.