Quantum Mechanics Operator Commutation Relations

In summary: They're exactly the same, but that's not the point. The point is that spin isn't a function of x and p, and so the commutators for the spin operators must be added to the set of "fundamental" commutators.
rick1138
Does anyone know of any tables that show the commutation relations of all QM opeartors? Any information would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need a table, they can all be derived simply from

[tex][x,p]=i\hbar[/tex]

That's the beauty of physics and the thing that distinguishes it from Botany or stamp collecting.

You may need a couple more for relativistic quantum physics and spin, but since you didn't specify I am assuming you mean non-relativistic QM.

You may need a couple more for relativistic quantum physics and spin- Slyboy

Yes indeed. There are some important commutation relations involving rotations and boosts.

I was looking for non-relativistic, just wondered if such a thing existed. The matrical rep of the Serret-Frenet formulae is very neat because it makes them very easy to remember. Now that I've looked at all the classical QM relations together at once I see that, as Slyboy stated a table is not really necessary, because they are all so similar. Thanks everyone.

I can't resist adding-

But if you had been looking for relativistic commutation relations, one way to sum up the relations for generators of rotation J and generators of boost K are that they form the algebra SO(3,1), or equivalently SU(2) x SU(2).

Tell that to your friends to impress them. :approve:

Tell that to your friends to impress them.

but perhaps you should read a book on Lie algebras first, just in case any of them know what you are talking about. :biggrin:

I've read about 20 books on Lie Algebras and Superalgebras - I know more math than physics.

slyboy said:
You don't need a table, they can all be derived simply from

[tex][x,p]=i\hbar[/tex]

Well, you'd also need to know that [itex][x_i,x_j]=0[/itex] and [itex][p_i,p_j]=0[/itex].

You may need a couple more for relativistic quantum physics and spin, but since you didn't specify I am assuming you mean non-relativistic QM.

Yes, and you need the commutators for spin even in nonrelativistic QM, since spin is not derived from x and p.

Yes, and you need the commutators for spin even in nonrelativistic QM, since spin is not derived from x and p.

Yes, but you can derive the relations for orbital angular momentum and they are essentially the same.

slyboy said:
Yes, but you can derive the relations for orbital angular momentum and they are essentially the same.

They're exactly the same, but that's not the point. The point is that spin isn't a function of x and p, and so the commutators for the spin operators must be added to the set of "fundamental" commutators.

1. What are operator commutation relations in quantum mechanics?

Operator commutation relations are mathematical expressions that describe how two operators in quantum mechanics interact with each other. They indicate how the order in which the operators are applied affects the overall result of the operation.

2. Why are operator commutation relations important in quantum mechanics?

Operator commutation relations are important because they allow us to understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, such as the uncertainty principle. They also play a crucial role in determining the possible states and measurements of quantum systems.

3. How do operator commutation relations differ from classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, the order of operations does not affect the final result. However, in quantum mechanics, the order of operations is crucial and is described by the operator commutation relations. This is due to the probabilistic nature of quantum systems.

4. What does it mean for two operators to commute in quantum mechanics?

Two operators in quantum mechanics are said to commute if their commutator, a mathematical expression that measures the difference between applying the operators in different orders, is equal to zero. This means that the two operators can be applied in any order without affecting the overall result.

5. How are operator commutation relations used in practical applications of quantum mechanics?

Operator commutation relations are used in practical applications of quantum mechanics, such as quantum computing, to determine the possible states and measurements of quantum systems. They also help in the development of new quantum algorithms and technologies.