Logarithmic Derivative of 2^log2(x^2+1) with Base 2

In summary: This is not correct.##2^{log_2(x^2 + 1)} \cdot ln(2) = ln(2) \cdot (x^2 + 1)##and the ln(2) in the numerator and denominator cancel leaving ##x^2 + 1##.As HallsofIvy said, we've said this several times. Please write your work out in full, including the substitution 2^log2(x^2+1)=(x^2+1). You'll find the ln(2)'s cancel.The expression you have in the denominator is not ##log_2(x^2 + 1)##. It's ##ln(2
huzzi.123

Homework Statement

2^log2(x^2+1)

2 after the log function is actually the base.

Homework Equations

derivative of log(x)= 1/x
derivative of a^x = a^x lna

The Attempt at a Solution

= 2^log2(x^2+1) ln2 *d[log2(x^2+1)]/dx
= 2^log2(x^2+1) ln2 [2x/(x^2+1)ln2]

ln2 in the numerator cancels with that in denominator but at the back of the book the answer written is x^2+1 which I'm not getting.

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
huzzi.123 said:

Homework Statement

2^log2(x^2+1)

2 after the log function is actually the base.

Homework Equations

derivative of log(x)= 1/x
derivative of a^x = a^x lna

The Attempt at a Solution

= 2^log2(x^2+1) ln2 *d[log2(x^2+1)]/dx

ln2 in the numerator cancels with that in denominator but at the back of the book the answer written is x^2+1 which I'm not getting.

Regards

log2(x^2+1) represents the power you have to raise 2 to to get (x^2+1).

In your problem, since 2 is being raised to this power in the expression 2^log2(x^2+1), you must have that

2^log2(x^2+1)=(x^2+1)

The derivative of this is just 2x. If you check your final result and cancel identical terms in the numerator and denominator, you are indeed left with 2x. So you solved the problem correctly (aside from reducing to lowest terms). If the book answer is (x^2+1), the book must be wrong.

I'm not getting log2(x^2+1) in the denominator and thus can't cancel it.

I'm getting [2^log2(x^2+1) ln2 (2x)]/(x^2+1)ln2]

only ln2 can be cancelled.

huzzi.123 said:
I'm not getting log2(x^2+1) in the denominator and thus can't cancel it.

I'm getting [2^log2(x^2+1) ln2 (2x)]/(x^2+1)ln2]

only ln2 can be cancelled.
We already said that 2^log2(x^2+1)=(x^2+1), so it cancels with the (x^2+1) in the denominator.

huzzi.123 said:

Your notation is hard to read since you are using log2 to denote log2 in one place, and ln2 to denote ln(2) in another.

Also, what you wrote above might not be what you meant. I'm going to assume that this is what you meant:
$$ 2^{log_2(x^2 + 1)} \cdot ln(2) \cdot \frac{2x}{(x^2 + 1) \cdot ln(2)}$$

The quantity in brackets that you wrote actually means ##\frac{2x}{x^2 + 1} * ln(2)##. Again I'm assuming that you meant that last ln(2) bit to be in the denominator, since you talked about cancelling them.

As already mentioned, ##2^{log_2(x^2 + 1)} = x^2 + 1##. In what you ended up with, everything cancels except the 2x, which is what you want to have left.

Sorry for the confusion but that's how I could write.

So ln(2) in the denominator cancels with that in numerator. Also, when you apply the a^x formula it gives you;
2^log2(x^2+1) ln(2).

I should have this log term in the denominator to get it canceled but for I'm not getting it :/

huzzi.123 said:

So ln(2) in the denominator cancels with that in numerator. Also, when you apply the a^x formula it gives you;
2^log2(x^2+1) ln(2).

I should have this log term in the denominator to get it canceled but for I'm not getting it :/
How many times do we have to say that 2^log2(x^2+1)=(x^2+1)? Does it cancel then?

huzzi.123 said:

2^log2(x^2+1) ln(2).
What we've said several time is - don't leave it this way.

##2^{log_2(x^2 + 1)} = x^2 + 1##
There's a factor of x2 + 1 in the numerator and the same factor in the denominator.
huzzi.123 said:

Related to Logarithmic Derivative of 2^log2(x^2+1) with Base 2

1. What is a logarithmic derivative?

A logarithmic derivative is a mathematical concept used in calculus and other areas of mathematics. It is the derivative of the natural logarithm function, ln(x), and is denoted by the symbol d/dx[ln(x)]. It is also known as the logarithmic derivative operator.

2. What is the formula for the logarithmic derivative?

The formula for the logarithmic derivative is d/dx[ln(x)] = 1/x. This means that the logarithmic derivative of a function f(x) is equal to 1/x multiplied by the derivative of f(x).

3. What is the significance of the logarithmic derivative?

The logarithmic derivative allows us to simplify and manipulate complicated functions by transforming them into simpler forms. It is also useful in solving differential equations and in determining the growth rates of functions.

4. How is the logarithmic derivative used in real-world applications?

The logarithmic derivative has various applications in fields such as physics, economics, and biology. In physics, it is used to calculate the rate of change of a quantity with respect to time. In economics, it is used to model and analyze growth rates of economies. In biology, it is used to study the growth rates of populations and the spread of diseases.

5. Are there any other types of logarithmic derivatives?

Yes, there are other types of logarithmic derivatives such as the higher-order logarithmic derivatives, which are the derivatives of the logarithmic derivatives. There is also the partial logarithmic derivative, which is used in multivariable calculus to find the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding the other variables constant.