Logarithm problem, differences

• Thread starter matxjos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithm
In summary, the conversation revolves around understanding the relationship between pH and hydronium concentration. The formula for pH is explained as well as how a difference in hydronium concentration can affect pH. There is also discussion about the use of logarithms in these calculations and some confusion about the concept of square root of 2. Ultimately, there is a disagreement about the accuracy of the solutions manual.
matxjos
I feel so dumb. I cannot figure out this relationship for the life of me.pH= -log[H+]

Imagine 2 concentrations. If the hydronium ([H+]) concentration differs by a factor of 2, it means the pH of the 2 solutions differs by -log √2

HOW?!
So basically, what they're saying is
(logx)(log√2)=log2x

HOW?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
where did you get the sqrt(2) from?

they actually differ by the log(2).

2 * 0.05 = 0.1 and in log form: log(2) + log(0.05) = log(0.1)

hence log(2) = log(0.1) - log(0.05)

jedishrfu said:
where did you get the sqrt(2) from?

they actually differ by the log(2).

2 * 0.05 = 0.1 and in log form: log(2) + log(0.05) = log(0.1)

hence log(2) = log(0.1) - log(0.05)

Okay...after more thought, I am convinced my solutions manual is wrong. I hate how many errors are in these things. Thanks jedishrfu.

Related to Logarithm problem, differences

What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse function of exponentiation. It is used to solve equations involving exponential functions and to represent very large or very small numbers in a more manageable form.

What is the difference between logarithms and exponents?

The main difference between logarithms and exponents is that logarithms undo the action of exponents. Exponents represent repeated multiplication, while logarithms represent repeated division.

How do you solve a logarithm problem?

To solve a logarithm problem, you can use the properties of logarithms such as the product, quotient, and power rules. You can also use a calculator or a logarithm table to find the answer.

What are the common applications of logarithms?

Logarithms are commonly used in a variety of scientific fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. They are used to model growth and decay, measure the loudness of sound, calculate pH in chemistry, and more.

What is the difference between natural logarithms and common logarithms?

Natural logarithms use the base e, which is an irrational number approximately equal to 2.71828. Common logarithms use the base 10. Natural logarithms are often used in calculus and mathematical modeling, while common logarithms are commonly used in everyday calculations.