Lifter device testing in a vacuum

In summary, this article discusses recent experiments that suggest that dielectric (electromagnetic) thrusters could be used to achieve artificial gravity. However, due to the strong ionized air flow around these thrusters, the results have been negative thus far.
Zantra
http://www.tdimension.com/news.html

I believe TEN had mentioned that these things wouldn't work in a vacuum due to ionized air flow. Well here's a lab who did sucessful testing in a vacuum. I'm sure there's a reason this cannot be harnessed, but maybe someone would fill in the blanks for me? Is it a matter of directionality or something else I'm not thinking of?

Here's the paper that was published on it- it's in PDF format.

http://www.tdimension.com/documents/AIAA 2001 Manuscript.pdf

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No comments so far? I would recommend reading the paper on this subject, so it becomes clearer

Originally posted by Zantra
No comments so far? I would recommend reading the paper on this subject, so it becomes clearer

Zantra: I would recommend you read it (the 2nd site you referenced). Then tell me why you think it has anything to do with the first one about dielectric thrusters (lifters).[?]

Creator

Last edited:
Originally posted by Creator
Zantra: I would recommend you read it (the 2nd site you referenced). Then tell me why you think it has anything to do with the first one about dielectric thrusters (lifters).[?]

Creator

It doesn't? OK my mistake. It was the paper referenced by the same site. Unfortunately I had some difficulty understanding the paper to the fullest extent.

Someone clear this up for me?

Do you know the LEVITRON ?

www.levitron.com/physics.html

Maybe the LIFTERs works on a similar principle, but electrostatic, and needing no spin to maintain the equilibrium of forces.

I've cross referenced this, and as far as I can tell, it's a haox. Only two experiments of this type were properly documented, of which one was peer-reviewed. Both were negative. The latests one even detected a relationship between the pressure of the gas around the lifter drive and it's thrust, suggesting strongly it was an ion wind effect. The other experiments that do confirm it could not be reproduced, and hence were probably due to the use of an inadequate vacuum.

Quick link:
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.08/pwr_antigravity_pr.html

Last edited:

1. What is a lifter device and how does it work?

A lifter device, also known as an ionocraft or ion propulsion engine, is a type of propulsion system that uses high voltage electricity to create thrust. It works by creating a corona discharge between two electrodes, which ionizes surrounding air molecules and creates an ionic wind that propels the device forward.

2. Why is testing a lifter device in a vacuum important?

Testing a lifter device in a vacuum is important because it eliminates the effects of air resistance and allows for a more accurate measurement of its thrust capabilities. In a vacuum, there is no air to interfere with the ionic wind produced by the device, allowing for a more controlled and precise experiment.

3. How is a lifter device tested in a vacuum?

A lifter device can be tested in a vacuum by placing it inside a vacuum chamber and evacuating the air to create a low-pressure environment. The device is then powered on and its thrust is measured using a force sensor or a balance. The test can be repeated multiple times at different voltage levels to gather data on the device's performance.

4. What are the benefits of using a lifter device in space?

Using a lifter device in space has several benefits. It does not require any traditional fuel, making it a clean and efficient propulsion system. It also produces very little noise and vibration, making it ideal for use in delicate scientific missions. Additionally, the lack of air resistance in space allows for greater thrust and maneuverability compared to traditional propulsion systems.

5. What are the potential applications of lifter devices?

Lifter devices have a wide range of potential applications. They can be used for propulsion in space exploration missions, as well as in the aviation industry for small-scale drones or aircraft. They can also be used for air purification systems, as the ionic wind produced can help remove particles from the air. Additionally, lifter devices have the potential to be used as a clean and efficient energy source in the future.