Boolean Logic cannot deal with infinitely many objects

• Thread starter Organic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Cantor's Diagonalization method and its application to infinite combinations of 01 notations. The speaker presents examples of this method and explains how it contradicts Boolean Logic in dealing with infinite objects. They also mention the importance of understanding the fundamentals of mathematics before creating new concepts.
Again, we use the built-in induction of the ZF axiom on the power_level of 2^0, 2^1, 2^2, ...

Because of the uncertainty and redundancy poroperties, we cannot talk about ALL obejcts in a collection of infinitely many objects.

The most we can say is: power_value approaches(-->) aleph0.

Again:

Uncertainty and redundancy are essential properties of any rigorous argument dealing with infinitely many objects.

'Completeness'(ALL objects of some collection) and 'Infinitely many objects' are complementary concepts (exactly like waves and particles in Quantum Mechanics).

Therefore to say that |N|=aleph0 is as if we say:

1(='completeness') XOR 1(='infinitely many objects') is 1.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Cantor prove is fine

Sorry Organic there is no problem in Cantor prove that |P(N)|>|N|
and what you say is your prove, is not a regular mathematics prove at all.

But Still maybe you see something important!

I want to ask you why do you think it is worth today after Hibert recognize in 1900 with the cardinals in his first probelm (The 23 list) to look again on Cantor work is the way you want to direct it?

Hi Moshek,

I am not talking about some thechnical problem, but on the essential property that distinguishes between what we call potential and actual infinity.

In my opinion Cantor did not distinguished between them when he developed its mathematical system.

In my opinion, any Math system is first of all an information system.

If no input then no output and no any meaningful conclusion.

In the case of the cardinality of N, |N| approaches(-->) aleph0.

When |N|=aleph0 we have no information bacause no infinitely many objects can reach their limit.

|N|approaches(-->)aleph0 is what we call a potential infinity.

|N|=aleph0 is what we call an actual infinity.

In an actual infinity you cannot find any information of any kind.

Therefore Math language, which is first of all an information system, can deal only with a potential infinity.

Please look at this again: http://www.geocities.com/complementarytheory/RiemannsLimits.pdf

Organic

|N| is a fixed constant. How does it approach something?

nice

That is a very good question to Organic.

So let's wait to his answer!

by ZF axiom of infinity all we can say is:

Omega={0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,...}

because of the ,...} notations we cannot conclode that Oomega=Actual infinity.

More than thet, When Omega=Actual infinity then:

Omega=

There is no meaningful information when we force the word 'ALL'(=complete) on 'infinitely many objects'(=cannot be completed).

Basically we can distinguish between 3 states:

1) All, complete for finite information.

2) Infinitely many objects for potential infinity.

3) No information for actual infinity

Therefore, if we want that |N|=Actual infinity, then |N|=

Organic

Last edited:
Originally posted by Organic

because of the ,...} notations we cannot conclode that Oomega=Actual infinity.

are you trying to say that [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex] doesn't have [itex]\aleph_0[/itex] elements? that [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex] is potentially infinite, but actually finite?

When by writing aleph0 we mean that aleph0=actuacl infinity, if we want |N| to have a meaningful information, then |N| approaches(-->) aleph0(=actual infinity).

Again, when |N|=aleph0=actual infinity, then |N|=(no information of any kind)

Please look at this example:

http://www.geocities.com/complementarytheory/RiemannsLimits.pdf

Organic

I am afraid

I am really afraid that Organic
want to tell us such a thing.

Does Organic
is really a monkey
like he is looking ?

just because we can't actually count to infinity doesn't mean infinity doesn't exist...

moshek: that's not very nice of you

Hi Moshek,

When i am looking on your picture, i know that Moshek=Actual infinity.

Orgainc

I hope i didn't heart you
i really like the way you think
So i just want to triger you.

well i don't have any picture
like that you have,
but i want to tend to infinity
even more than Alef0

So really thank you Organic.

Dear Guybrush Threepwood,

Let us think about these 4 possible contents:

{} = Emptiness.

{1,2} = Finite or complete content.

{1,2,...} = Infinitely many objects(=cannot be completed).

{______} = Fullness = Actual infinity(=cannot be factorized to any form of information).

Orgainc

Hi Moshek,

Dont take it to your heart, i like your picture (i mean actual infinity).

Yours,

Organic

What are you trying to solved?

Dear Organic,

Set theory is a very beautiful theory in mathematics
about the infinity !

Close to the end of the 19 century
the lord Kelvin pointed to 2 problem in physics
that are unsolved and they were solved in 1905..

Which problems in mathematics
you are trying to solved?

:smile:

There are two basic forms of set's contents where the word 'many' is meaningless:

{} Eemptiness

{_} Fullness

These two basic forms Cannot be reached by finite or infinitely many objects.

Finite or infinitely many ojbects can only approach these two basic forms of set's contents.

Therefore 0 and oo (or -oo) are the limits( (0,oo) or (-oo,0) ) of any information system, including Math language.

And again, it is clearly shown here:

http://www.geocities.com/complementarytheory/RiemannsLimits.pdf

When these two unreachable and opposite limits are associated, new forms of information can be defined, explored by us, and used to help us be better participators in this universe.

Therefore concepts like complexity, uncertainty and redundancy, based on simple principles, have to be taken as natural basics of any axiomatic system.

By doing that, i think Math language can be developed to variety of unexpected areas, beyond our wildest dreams.

Last edited:
[itex]|\mathbb{N}|[/itex] is something. *shrug*

By doing that, i think Math language can be developed to variety of unexpected areas, beyond our wildest dreams.
i agree. i wonder where math will be a millenium from now...

|N| is the cardinal of infinitely many objects that approaching aleph0, where aleph0=actual infinity.

actually, |N|=aleph0 and nothing is approaching anything.

but if we let f be a map from N to P(N) such that f(n) is the set of elements in N less than n+1, then f(0), f(1), f(2), ... in some sense approaches N.

|N|=aleph0.

New Millenium for mathematics

Hurky - I did not understood the word that you wrote after |N|
can you explain it to me?

Phoenixthoth- To really discus how the new millennium will be for mathematics we must go back to Euclid and ask him some question!
About his "Elements".

Maybe this is what Organic is trying to do here.

Moshek :wink:

can you explain it to me?
sounds like a question clinton would ask. not as simple as one might think, actually.

i answer to you in the wrong place

Sory Phoenixthoth
Moshek

Hi phoenixthoth,

By using the word 'approaching' i don't mean 'closer to'.

'approaching' = 'closer to' only on a finite collection of objects.

When i use 'approaching' with infinitely many objects, then
'approaching aleph0' = 'cannot reach aleph0'.

Therefore (|N|=aleph0) = (|N|={____}=fullness) = No meaningful information's input.

Math language cannot deal with {}(=emptiness) XOR {___}(=fullness) contents.

Question 1: How many times we can reach 2 in {1,2}?

Answer 1: Infinitely many times.

Questions 2: How many time we can reach aleph0 by using {1,2,3,...}?

Answer 2: 0 times.

Last edited:
The problem with saying that "Math language cannot deal with {}(=emptiness) XOR {___}(=fullness) contents." is that you clearly know neither mathematics or "math language" and so have no business talking about what math language can or cannot deal with.

I will, however, concede that math language cannot, in fact, deal with nonsense.

Hi HallsofIvy,

Please show us how you can use the content of {}(=emptiness) or the content of {__}(=fullness) as an input, by Math language.

Last edited:
Organic: are you simply trying to say [itex]\aleph_0[/itex] is not a natural number?

Please show us how you can use the content of {}(=emptiness) or the content of {__}(=fullness) as an input, by Math language.

Like HallsofIvy said, math can't deal with nonsense.

|{}| = 0

Hi Hurkyl,

Any information system needs some input, and Math is a form of information system.

There are at least two concepts which are the limits of any information system, including math.

(emptiness,fullness) no input can be found beyond these limits.

Therefore Cantor's idea about aleph0 is nonsense, because he does not distinguish between actual and potential infinity.

Last edited:
Guybrush Threepwood,

Without the set notations '{' '}' you cannot do that.

I am talking about the emptiness(the content) itself and the fullness(the content) itself.

For example:

=?
_=?

Last edited:
Any information system needs some input, and Math is a form of information system.

There are at least two concepts which are the limits of any information system, including math.

(emptiness,fullness) no input can be found beyond these limits.

Therefore Cantor's idea about aleph0 is nonsense, because he doeas not distinguish between actual and potential infinity.

Just saying these things doesn't make it so.

You haven't provided a rigorous definition of anything. And you haven't demonstrated that you have any understanding of the mathematical terms that you use.

Guybrush Threepwood,

Without the set notations '{' '}' you cannot do that.

I am talking about the emptiness(the content) itself and the fullness(the content) itself.

I really don't understand your point. Mathematics works with symbols. {} is one of them. So is [itex]\aleph_0[/itex] or [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex]
If you want to define a new symbol please do so and say what it means. If you want to do mathematics without symbols I'm afraid that's not possible

A symbol is a tool, if you don't understend the meaning of the concept that you notate, then you can invent and use any notation that you want, but the meaning of it is beyond the notation.

Again i clime that when Cantor invented the aleph0 notation, he did it without distinguishing (sorry about my English) between actual and potential infinity.

I'll write this again:

because of the ,...} notations we cannot conclode that Omega=Actual infinity.

More than thet, When Omega=Actual infinity then:

Omega=

There is no meaningful information when we force the word 'ALL'(=complete) on 'infinitely many objects'(=cannot be completed).

Basically we can distinguish between 4 states:

0) Emptiness (no information).

1) All, complete, for finite information.

2) Infinitely many objects for potential infinity.

3) No information for actual infinity

Therefore, if we want that |N|=Actual infinity, then |N|=
and the same is about aleph0.

Organic

Last edited:
Again i clime that when Cantor invented the aleph0 notation, he did it without distinguishing (sorry about my English) between actual and potential infinity.

Distinguishing between "potential infinity" and "actual infinity" implies that infinity is some sort of process. It is not. Terms like [itex]\aleph_0[/itex] have a very well defined meaning already, one that does not need to be furthur distingished.

<h2>What is Boolean Logic?</h2><p>Boolean Logic is a type of mathematical logic that deals with binary values, true and false, and logical operations such as AND, OR, and NOT. It is commonly used in computer programming and digital electronics.</p><h2>Why can't Boolean Logic deal with infinitely many objects?</h2><p>Boolean Logic is based on the concept of binary values, which means it can only represent two states - true and false. It is not equipped to handle infinite values or continuous variables, making it unsuitable for dealing with infinitely many objects.</p><h2>What are the limitations of Boolean Logic?</h2><p>Boolean Logic is limited in its ability to handle complex or ambiguous situations. It cannot handle continuous variables, probabilities, or infinite values. It also does not account for uncertainty or degrees of truth.</p><h2>Is there a way to work around the limitations of Boolean Logic?</h2><p>Yes, there are other types of logic, such as fuzzy logic and probabilistic logic, that can handle more complex situations and infinite values. These types of logic are often used in artificial intelligence and machine learning.</p><h2>Why is Boolean Logic still used if it has limitations?</h2><p>Despite its limitations, Boolean Logic is still widely used in computer programming and digital electronics because it is simple, efficient, and well-suited for handling binary operations. It also serves as the foundation for other types of logic and can be combined with them to solve more complex problems.</p>

What is Boolean Logic?

Boolean Logic is a type of mathematical logic that deals with binary values, true and false, and logical operations such as AND, OR, and NOT. It is commonly used in computer programming and digital electronics.

Why can't Boolean Logic deal with infinitely many objects?

Boolean Logic is based on the concept of binary values, which means it can only represent two states - true and false. It is not equipped to handle infinite values or continuous variables, making it unsuitable for dealing with infinitely many objects.

What are the limitations of Boolean Logic?

Boolean Logic is limited in its ability to handle complex or ambiguous situations. It cannot handle continuous variables, probabilities, or infinite values. It also does not account for uncertainty or degrees of truth.

Is there a way to work around the limitations of Boolean Logic?

Yes, there are other types of logic, such as fuzzy logic and probabilistic logic, that can handle more complex situations and infinite values. These types of logic are often used in artificial intelligence and machine learning.

Why is Boolean Logic still used if it has limitations?

Despite its limitations, Boolean Logic is still widely used in computer programming and digital electronics because it is simple, efficient, and well-suited for handling binary operations. It also serves as the foundation for other types of logic and can be combined with them to solve more complex problems.