Logarithm and Exponent Question

In summary: Therefore, the answer should be p^(mn) = n. In summary, the equation m log p (n) = q can be written in exponential form as p^(mn) = n, according to the power rule and the given definition of the logarithm function.
zekea
I'm confused on this question.

The equation m log p (n) = q can be written in exponential form as..
The answer on the work sheet is p^(q/m)=n but shouldn't it be P^(qm) = n ? According to the power rule? My teacher explained this by writing down for me log p (n) = q / m but I'm confused here

Mathematics news on Phys.org
zekea said:
I'm confused on this question.

The equation m log p (n) = q can be written in exponential form as..
The answer on the work sheet is p^(q/m)=n but shouldn't it be P^(qm) = n ? According to the power rule? My teacher explained this by writing down for me log p (n) = q / m but I'm confused here

The definition of the logarithm function id the following:
If $b$ is any number such that $b>0$ and $b\neq 1$ and $x>0$ then,
$$y=\log_b x \ \ \text{ is equivalent to } \ \ b^y=x$$ We have the the equation $q=m\log_p n$.

Dividing both sides by $m$ we get $$\frac{q}{m}=\frac{m\log_p n}{m} \Rightarrow \frac{q}{m}=\log_p n$$

Therefore from the definition for $y=\frac{q}{m}$, $b=p$ and $x=n$ we get $$ p^{\frac{q}{m}}=n$$

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay this is what my teacher did but something is confusing me.

Based on Khans' video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb9V374iOas
Skip to 4:00
Basically according to the power rule you have Log a (c)^d = bd . He brought the d down to the other side.
So in exp form A^(bd) = C^d so shouldn't the answer be p^(mn) = n rather than P^(q/m) = n ?

Using that rule we have the following:
$$q=m\log_p n\Rightarrow q=\log_p n^m$$

Then from the definition we get $p^q=n^m$.

To solve for $n$ we do the following: $$n^m=p^q \Rightarrow \left (n^m\right )^{\frac{1}{m}}=\left (p^q\right )^{\frac{1}{m}} \Rightarrow n^{\frac{m}{m}}=p^{\frac{q}{m}} \Rightarrow n=p^{\frac{q}{m}}$$

zekea said:
Okay this is what my teacher did but something is confusing me.

Based on Khans' video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb9V374iOas
Skip to 4:00
Basically according to the power rule you have Log a (c)^d = bd . He brought the d down to the other side.
So in exp form A^(bd) = C^d so shouldn't the answer be p^(mn) = n rather than P^(q/m) = n ?

If I was given:

\(\displaystyle \log_a\left(c^d\right)=bd\)

I would first use the identity $\log_a\left(b^c\right)=c\cdot\log_a(b)$ to write:

\(\displaystyle d\cdot\log_a\left(c\right)=bd\)

Next, divide through by $d$:

\(\displaystyle \log_a\left(c\right)=b\)

Finally, convert from logarithmic to exponential form:

\(\displaystyle c=a^b\)

Related to Logarithm and Exponent Question

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse operation of an exponent. It is a mathematical function that tells us the power to which a base number must be raised to get a certain number.

2. What is an exponent?

An exponent is a mathematical notation that represents the number of times a base number is multiplied by itself. It is written as a superscript to the right of the base number.

3. How do I solve logarithm and exponent equations?

To solve logarithm and exponent equations, you need to use the properties of logarithms and exponents. These include the product rule, quotient rule, power rule, and change of base rule. You also need to understand how to use inverse operations to isolate the variable.

4. What are some real-life applications of logarithms and exponents?

Logarithms and exponents have various real-life applications, including finance, biology, physics, chemistry, and computer science. For example, they are used in calculating compound interest, measuring the acidity of a substance, modeling population growth, and analyzing data in computer algorithms.

5. Can logarithms and exponents be negative?

Yes, both logarithms and exponents can be negative. In logarithms, the base number and the number inside the logarithm cannot be negative, but the result (the power) can be negative. In exponents, the base number can be negative, but the exponent must be a positive or negative integer.