Calculating t from Rearranged Equation: z=a+b(e^k*t -1)

• Thread starter martine
  • Start date
In summary, to calculate t from the given equation z=a+b(e^(kt) -1), you need to group the exponent with parentheses and then use the fact that x=b^y -> log_b x=y. This means computing z/b and then taking the log of that value. However, rearranging the equation to solve for t may be difficult.
martine
How do I calculate t from the following equation?

z=a+b(e^k*t -1)

Guess this should be right to start with:

t=ln(z/b)

but what to do with the a and -1? and how do I calculate ln(z/b)? as lnz/lnb? I've tried thinking (didn't work *smirk*) and trial and error with simple numers (didn't work either)

thanks a lot!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
First, am I correct in presuming that you mean:

[tex]
z = a + b (e^{kt} - 1)
[/tex]

? If so, then you need to group the exponent with parentheses; the correct way to write it is z=a+b(e^(k*t) -1).

(Order of operations says you do exponentiation before multiplication)

Anyways, this is a chance to use stuff you've learned previously. :smile: It looks like you want to use the fact:

[tex]
x = b^y \rightarrow \log_b x = y
[/tex]

right? However, note that the exponentiation has to be by itself on one side of the equation. Do you know how to do that?

how do I calculate ln(z/b)?

Compute z/b then take the log, just like the expression states.

Yes, that equation of yours is what I meant. Should have read the faw on how to write equations in a forum.

I also understand the equation you wrote further down, but I guess I'm really to stupid to rearrange teh whole equation to t=...

1. What is the purpose of calculating t from the rearranged equation z=a+b(e^k*t -1)?

The purpose of calculating t from this equation is to determine the value of time (t) that corresponds to a given value of z. This can be useful in various scientific experiments and calculations.

2. How do you rearrange the equation to solve for t?

To solve for t, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. In this case, you would divide both sides by b and then use logarithms to isolate t. The final rearranged equation would be t = ln((z-a)/b+1)/k.

3. What do the variables in the equation represent?

The variable z represents the dependent variable, while t represents the independent variable (time). The variables a, b, and k are constants that are used to calculate the value of z at a given time.

4. Can this equation be applied to any type of data?

Yes, this equation can be applied to any type of data as long as it follows the general form of z=a+b(e^k*t -1). However, it is important to note that this equation is most commonly used in exponential growth or decay situations.

5. Are there any limitations to using this equation?

One limitation of this equation is that it assumes a constant value of k, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. Additionally, the data used in the equation should be continuous and not have any missing values.