LOG Base: 10, e, or Other - What Does it Mean?

• Thread starter tony873004
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Base Log
In summary, the symbol "log" can have different meanings depending on the context and discipline. In computer science, base 2 is preferred, while in high school and calculus exams, base 10 is commonly used. Mathematicians tend to assume base e as it is the natural base, while engineers and astronomers may prefer base 10. Ultimately, the choice of base is determined by the purpose or application of the logarithm. To avoid ambiguity, it is important to specify the base being used. However, naming conventions and preferences may vary across different cultures and historical contexts. To determine the base being used in a particular program or calculator, one can test different values for the base and see which one produces the expected result. Alternatively, one can
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If I see a formula that contains LOG, but does not specify as base, how do I know what base they're referring to? Programming languages assume LOG means base e. My calculator assumes LOG means base 10. I've seen math teachers assume it meant base e. If its base anything other than 10 or e, the base is always specified as a subscript. We've got LN to unambiguously describe base e. Why the ambiguity with LOG?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The symbol "log" means the logarithim to the preferred base of the person writing is, or that preferred in the dicipline of study.
In computer science base 2 is preferred though that is sometimes denoted lg.
In garbage subjects like high school, calculator, and ap calculus exams base 10 is prefered.
The base b (often b=10 or 2 or 16) is used when logarithims are being used as a computational aid, though this is seldom done anymore.
In resonable discourse the base e is used because that base is natural.
As to how to know which base is being used at the beginning of a work it should be noted. One might guess based on above criteria. One might look for a give away like log(e)=1 or log'(1)=1. Sometimes it does not much matter.

Mathematicians seem to assume base e, since they have no other need for any other base. However, engineers and astronomers sometimes like base 10.

Base 10 is most useful for doing arithmetic. Base e is preferred for mathematical analysis.

You could always just run a test to determine which base your LOG on the machine uses. Either LOG(b)=1 or LOG(b)<>1; because b^1 = b. You could just test using the different expected values for b, the base, being either 10 or 2.1828...

Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be any real consistency on this issue.

For software and computer languages, you pretty much have to check the documentation to be sure what base LOG is using. For example, in Excel, LOG10 is used for logarithms base 10 and LN is base e, however, in .NET programming languages, Math.Log is base e and Math.Log10 is base 10.

Whenever I use a calculator or computer program I'm not familiar with, I always enter logs like this:

log(x) / log(base)

where x is the value I want the log of, and base is the base I want to use. It no longer matters what base is implied by the log() operator. Checking documentation is too time-consuming.

- Warren

Why isn't every song written in the key of C? After all, every other major scale is isomorphic to it.

From the perspective of a piano student looking at a keyboard, this is a totally legitimate question. Why would you ever write anything in a key like F#, with more sharps than there are black keys?

The reason, the student later learns, is that the world leaves little place for absolute standards. The piano isn't the only instrument. Other instruments have other considerations. Each instrument has its own preferred key. Each singer has their own limits on range. Similarly, every group who make use of logs have their own purpose. Mathematicians have a simple definition for log_e. Scientists can estimate log_10's very easily. Computer scientists like log_2, because it tells you how many bits it takes to store an integer. Even allowing for the convention that ln = log_e, whose to decide between log = log_10 and log = log_2?

Naming conventions are a cultural phenomenon. And, like any human creation, it's going to have historical facets. Yeah, there are ambiguities and inconsistencies, but that is how the world is ;-)

Last edited:
chroot said:
Whenever I use a calculator or computer program I'm not familiar with, I always enter logs like this:

log(x) / log(base)

where x is the value I want the log of, and base is the base I want to use. It no longer matters what base is implied by the log() operator. Checking documentation is too time-consuming.

- Warren

That's what i do too ..
and I'm used to use the base 10 for the log .. unless it's another constant i change te base
e.g.. log5 6 = 1/ log6 5

Excellent analogy, Tac-Tics. I'm going to have to remember that one!

Related to LOG Base: 10, e, or Other - What Does it Mean?

What is the definition of a logarithm?

A logarithm is a mathematical function that represents the relationship between a base number and its exponent. It is the inverse of an exponent, meaning it tells us what power the base number needs to be raised to in order to get a given number.

What is the difference between LOG base 10 and LOG base e?

LOG base 10 is a logarithm with a base of 10, meaning that the base number is 10. LOG base e is a logarithm with a base of e, which is a mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.718. Both types of logarithms are used in different areas of mathematics and science.

Why is the LOG base 10 commonly used in science?

LOG base 10 is commonly used in science because it is a convenient base for representing numbers in a way that is easily understandable and comparable. It is also related to the concept of pH, which is used to measure the acidity or basicity of a substance.

What does it mean when the base of a logarithm is a number other than 10 or e?

When the base of a logarithm is a number other than 10 or e, it means that the relationship between the base number and its exponent is different. For example, a LOG base 2 would tell us what power 2 needs to be raised to in order to get a given number, while a LOG base 3 would tell us the same for 3 as the base number.

How is the LOG function used in real-life applications?

The LOG function is used in many real-life applications, such as calculating earthquake magnitudes, measuring sound intensity, and analyzing data in fields such as economics and biology. It is also used in computer programming and engineering to solve complex problems and improve efficiency in calculations.