Locus of all points due to a charge

In summary: But there are several approaches. This is just one.I'm sorry for the confusion. My previous response was not meant for you. It was meant for the person asking the original question. I apologize for any inconvenience. In summary, the problem involves finding the locus of a point P(x,y,z) where the x-component of the electric field (E_x) is equal to a given value. The equation E=k\frac{q}{r^2}\vec{r} is used, with r being the distance between the two points and \vec{r} being the unit vector pointing from the source charge to the point P. To solve for x, the x-component of the unit vector is used, which is the x
tempneff

Homework Statement

A 100 nC point charge is located at A(-1, 1, 3) in free space. (a) Find the locus of all point P(x,y,z) at which [itex]E_x = \frac{V}{m}.[/itex] Find [itex]y_1[/itex] if P(-2,[itex]y_1,3[/itex]) lies on that locus.

Homework Equations

[itex]E=k\frac{q}{r^2}\vec{r}\hspace{10pt}E_X=E\cos\theta\hspace{10pt}\vec{R}=<(x_2-x_1),(y_2-y_1),(z_2-z_1)>\hspace{10pt}[/itex]
Cartesian to Spherical: [itex]r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}\hspace{10pt}\theta = cos^{-1}\frac{z}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}} \hspace{10pt} \phi = \cot^{-1}\frac{x}{y}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted the vector R to spherical coordinates because I figured that using the radius I could find the field where [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi = 0[/itex] then convert back to cartesian...It didn't work. I had a hint that I should use [itex]E=k\frac{q}{\vert{\vec{R}\vert^3}}\vec{R}[/itex] but I don't quite understand why. I believe this is just multiplying by 1, but I thought that while [itex]k\frac{q}{r^2}\vec{r}[/itex] already include the vector I could just plug in [itex]\vec{R}[/itex] for unit vector [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] then why would I have to divide by the magnitude again.

I am sure at this point that I am misunderstanding things so any clarification of these concepts it priceless. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Physics news on Phys.org
tempneff said:
[itex]E_x = \frac{V}{m}.[/itex]
There seems to be a number missing. How many Volts/metre?
I see no merit in switching to polar. Use ##E=k\frac{q}{r^2}\vec{r}##, replacing r with x, y, z. Given that you only want the x component, how will you replace ##\vec{r}##?
(In the equation you posted with R3, the R vector appears to be the full vector, not the unit vector. Hence the need to divide by the magnitude again.)

Right, that was supposed to be [itex]E_x=500\frac{V}{m}[/itex]

I'm not sure how I can replace [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] reflecting only the x direction. Also, if they are asking for a locus, do i have to come up with a item including x,y, and z rather than just x.

tempneff said:
I'm not sure how I can replace [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] reflecting only the x direction.
The complete vector (##\vec R##?) is <x, y, z>. The unit vector is the same divided by its magnitude. So what is the x component of that?
Also, if they are asking for a locus, do i have to come up with a item including x,y, and z
An equation involving x, y and z, yes.

The locus of all points due to a charge is the set of points where the electric field has a magnitude of V/m, as given in the problem. The equation for electric field is E = kq/r^2, where k is the Coulomb constant, q is the charge, and r is the distance from the charge.

In this problem, we are given a point charge of 100 nC located at (-1,1,3) and are asked to find the locus of points where E_x = V/m. This means that the electric field in the x-direction (E_x) at these points must equal V/m.

To find this locus, we can use the equation E_x = kq/r^2 * cos(theta), where theta is the angle between the direction of the electric field and the x-axis. We can rewrite this equation as E_x = kq/r^3 * x, where x is the distance in the x-direction from the charge.

Since we know that E_x = V/m and q = 100 nC, we can solve for r to find the locus of points. This gives us r^3 = kq/Vx, and substituting in the values gives us r = (kq/Vx)^(1/3).

To find y_1, we can use the given point P(-2,y_1,3) and plug in the values for r and x. This gives us r = (kq/V(-2))^(1/3) = (-kq/2V)^(1/3). Since we know that r = sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2), we can solve for y_1 by rearranging the equation to y_1 = sqrt(r^2-x^2-z^2) = sqrt((kq/2V)^(2/3) - 4).

Therefore, the locus of points where E_x = V/m is given by r = (kq/Vx)^(1/3), and the value of y_1 at P(-2,y_1,3) is given by y_1 = sqrt((kq/2V)^(2/3) - 4).

Note: The hint you were given to use the equation E = kq/r^3 * R is because we are finding the locus of points where E_x = V/m, which means that the

Related to Locus of all points due to a charge

What is the definition of "Locus of all points due to a charge"?

The locus of all points due to a charge is the set of points in space where the electric field created by the charge has a specific magnitude and direction.

How is the locus of all points due to a charge related to electric potential?

The locus of all points due to a charge is closely related to electric potential. In fact, electric potential is a scalar field that is derived from the electric field, which is the basis for the locus of all points due to a charge.

What is the mathematical expression for the locus of all points due to a charge?

The mathematical expression for the locus of all points due to a charge is given by Φ = kQ/r, where Φ is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance from the charge.

How does the locus of all points due to a charge change with different types of charges?

The locus of all points due to a charge will change depending on the type of charge. For example, a positive charge will have a locus of points that radiate outward, while a negative charge will have a locus of points that converge inward.

Can the locus of all points due to a charge be visualized?

Yes, the locus of all points due to a charge can be visualized using vector fields, which show the direction and magnitude of the electric field at different points in space. These vector fields can be represented graphically using arrows or lines.