Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Locus of a point in Space

Perlita

Nov 7, 2013
Hello everyone,
Here's an exercise I have to solve:
Given an orthonormal basis (O;i,j,k) and two lines m and n whose respective parametric equations are:
x = 2+t x = 4-3t'
y = 3-2t (t belongs to R) and y = 5-8t' (t' belongs to R)
z = 5-t z = 7-t'

1)Show that Lines m and n are non-coplanar.(easy)
2) Show that point A(2,3,5) belongs to line m.

Let B be a point on line n.
Find the locus of point I, midpoint of segment AB, while B moves along line n.

3) Let M be a point of line m, and B be a point of line n.
Find the locus of the midpoint of segment MB while M and B move along lines m and n respectively.
The answers I gave:
2)By substitution in the equation of line m, we see that A belongs to m.
point A = (2,3,5) corresponds to t=0
point B has the form (4,5,7) + (-3,-8,-1)t'

I = (3,4,6) + (-3/2,-4,-1/2)t'
The result shows that the locus of points halfway between a given point and a line is a line.

3)point M = (2,3,5) + (+1,-2,-1)t
point B = (4,5,7) + (-3,-8,-1)t'

Midpoint of MB: (3,4,6) + (1/2,-1,-1/2)t + (-3/2,-4,-1/2)t'
The result shows that the locus of the midpoint of MB is a plane (but how to explain clearly to the teacher that it's a plane??)

Well, I hope that I answered correctly on the two parts.And my second question is:
why this difference between parts 2 and 3? why the locus in part 3 is not a line as well (as in part 2)? I mean that in the two parts we're finding the locus of a midpoint...
-
Thanks for helping.

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Re: locus of a point in Space

Hello everyone,
Here's an exercise I have to solve:
Given an orthonormal basis (O;i,j,k) and two lines m and n whose respective parametric equations are:
x = 2+t x = 4-3t'
y = 3-2t (t belongs to R) and y = 5-8t' (t' belongs to R)
z = 5-t z = 7-t'

1)Show that Lines m and n are non-coplanar.(easy)
2) Show that point A(2,3,5) belongs to line m.

Let B be a point on line n.
Find the locus of point I, midpoint of segment AB, while B moves along line n.

3) Let M be a point of line m, and B be a point of line n.
Find the locus of the midpoint of segment MB while M and B move along lines m and n respectively.
The answers I gave:
2)By substitution in the equation of line m, we see that A belongs to m.
point A = (2,3,5) corresponds to t=0
point B has the form (4,5,7) + (-3,-8,-1)t'

I = (3,4,6) + (-3/2,-4,-1/2)t'
The result shows that the locus of points halfway between a given point and a line is a line.

3)point M = (2,3,5) + (+1,-2,-1)t
point B = (4,5,7) + (-3,-8,-1)t'

Midpoint of MB: (3,4,6) + (1/2,-1,-1/2)t + (-3/2,-4,-1/2)t'
The result shows that the locus of the midpoint of MB is a plane (but how to explain clearly to the teacher that it's a plane??)

Well, I hope that I answered correctly on the two parts.And my second question is:
why this difference between parts 2 and 3? why the locus in part 3 is not a line as well (as in part 2)? I mean that in the two parts we're finding the locus of a midpoint...
-
Thanks for helping.
Welcome to MHB, Perlita! :)

Your answers to parts 2 and 3 look fine.
To complete part 3, you need that the vectors (1/2,-1,-1/2) and (-3/2,-4,-1/2) are independent. I presume you already did something similar for part 1?

As for the difference, well, algebraically the mid-point in part 3 has 2 degrees of freedom, since there are 2 variables t and t'.

To understand geometrically, consider for instance the lines that are the x-axis and a line parallel to the y-axis, say at z=2.
If we fix one point on the one line, and drag the other point along the other line, the mid-point describes indeed a line.
If we then move the point on the first line, all those points are translated in another direction.
Can you "see" it?

Perlita

Nov 7, 2013

Welcome to MHB, Perlita! :)

Your answers to parts 2 and 3 look fine.
To complete part 3, you need that the vectors (1/2,-1,-1/2) and (-3/2,-4,-1/2) are independent. I presume you already did something similar for part 1?

As for the difference, well, algebraically the mid-point in part 3 has 2 degrees of freedom, since there are 2 variables t and t'.

To understand geometrically, consider for instance the lines that are the x-axis and a line parallel to the y-axis, say at z=2.
If we fix one point on the one line, and drag the other point along the other line, the mid-point describes indeed a line.
If we then move the point on the first line, all those points are translated in another direction.
Can you "see" it?

Thanks a lot!! yes I can see it :)
but why should I show that the vectors (1/2,-1,-1/2) and (-3/2,-4,-1/2) are independent in part 3?
And what if the two lines m and n are intersecting? what will be the locus of the midpoint of segment MB?

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012

Thanks a lot!! yes I can see it :)
but why should I show that the vectors (1/2,-1,-1/2) and (-3/2,-4,-1/2) are independent in part 3?
Suppose one is a multiple of the other, then you do not have a plane but a line.

And what if the two lines m and n are intersecting? what will be the locus of the midpoint of segment MB?
Then the support vector in your equation will be the null vector.
The result is a plane that contains the origin.

Perlita

Nov 7, 2013

Suppose one is a multiple of the other, then you do not have a plane but a line.

Then the support vector in your equation will be the null vector.
The result is a plane that contains the origin.

why the support vector is the null vector?
if we take for example the two lines
(d): x=3t+2 (d'): x=t'+1
y=-t-1 t belongs to R and y=2t'-3 t' belongs to R
z= t+1 z=-t'+2

these two lines intersect at I(2;-1;1) for t'=1 and t=0
And points M and N moving along d and d' respectively. We need the locus of the midpoint of MN.
why the support vector is null? I can't see it!

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012

why the support vector is the null vector?
if we take for example the two lines
(d): x=3t+2 (d'): x=t'+1
y=-t-1 t belongs to R and y=2t'-3 t' belongs to R
z= t+1 z=-t'+2

these two lines intersect at I(2;-1;1) for t'=1 and t=0
And points M and N moving along d and d' respectively. We need the locus of the midpoint of MN.
why the support vector is null? I can't see it!
My mistake.
What you do have, is that the intersection point of the 2 lines is in the plane.
And when you have 2 non-intersecting lines, the midpoint where they are closest, is in the plane.

Perlita

Nov 7, 2013

So what's the final answer, if the lines are intersecting?
Thanks

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012

So what's the final answer, if the lines are intersecting?
Thanks
If the lines are intersecting, the space of midpoints is the plane that the 2 lines span.