Lock-in amplifier driving me crazy

In summary, the amplitude of the input signal periodically changes over time, causing a false measurement in the phase of the input signal. The reference signal is a constant amplitude and frequency 50/50 square wave, and doesn't matter what filtering settings I have, if the amplitude of the input signal decreases by 50% the phase measurement will change by roughly 2 degrees or so. What is going on? Maybe the method you are using to alter the amplitude (e.g., potentiometer) is also causing a change in phase?
Topher925
I have a project where I'm measuring the phase of a signal compared to a signal reference using an SR830 lock-in amplifier. My problem is that the amplitude of the input signal periodically changes over time and this is causing a false measurement in the phase of the input signal. I can't figure out what would cause it as the phase measurement should be constant and independent of amplitude, should it not? Keep in mind that this signal has a very good SNR.

The reference signal is a constant amplitude and frequency 50/50 square wave. It doesn't matter what filtering settings I have, if the amplitude of the input signal decreases by 50% the phase measurement will change by roughly 2 degrees or so. What is going on?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the amplitude is unstable, why are you so sure that the phase of your input signal is stable within 2 deg?

Topher925 said:
The reference signal is a constant amplitude and frequency 50/50 square wave. It doesn't matter what filtering settings I have, if the amplitude of the input signal decreases by 50% the phase measurement will change by roughly 2 degrees or so. What is going on?
Perhaps the method you are using to alter the amplitude (e.g., potentiometer) is also causing a change in phase? Maybe you are inadvertently changing the duty cycle, though one would expect the detector to be immune to this.

You will just have to do more testing to determine the basis for the apparent phase change.

What type of oscillator is your reference? I had a similar problem with purchased, ovenized crystal oscillators at 3 MHz. Our circuit compared the frequency of two such oscillators to detect long term drift. Like you, when the signal fluctuated in amplitude, we detected a shift in frequency. Since our oscillators were purchased, we simply sent them back to the manufacturer as defective to be replaced.

I know that the phase is stable because I can measure it using an oscilloscope. However, I think I may have found the source of the problem, a second weaker signal (same frequency) mixed in with signal I'm trying to measure. I'm still investigating to see if this is the actual cause but given the magnitude of the phase shift I don't believe it is.

I'm actually just using a micro-controller as an oscillator reference. The signals I'm working with are rather low frequency (50-200Hz) and the uC provides enough accuracy for me. I've checked the uC against the internal function generator of the amplifier though and its definitely not the problem.

Related to Lock-in amplifier driving me crazy

1. What is a lock-in amplifier?

A lock-in amplifier is a sensitive electronic instrument used to measure and amplify small signals that are buried in noise. It works by using a reference signal to extract and amplify the desired signal, making it easier to detect and measure.

2. How does a lock-in amplifier work?

A lock-in amplifier works by multiplying the input signal with a reference signal of the same frequency and then passing it through a low pass filter. The low pass filter removes all the noise signals that are not at the same frequency as the reference signal, leaving only the desired signal to be amplified and measured.

3. What are the main applications of a lock-in amplifier?

A lock-in amplifier is commonly used in scientific research and industrial applications where small signals need to be detected and measured accurately. It is often used in fields such as optics, spectroscopy, and materials science to measure weak signals in the presence of noise.

4. What are the key features to consider when choosing a lock-in amplifier?

Some important features to consider when choosing a lock-in amplifier include the frequency range, sensitivity, time constant, and the ability to synchronize with an external reference signal. It is also important to consider the noise level and the number of channels needed for your specific application.

5. How can I troubleshoot issues with my lock-in amplifier?

If you are experiencing issues with your lock-in amplifier, some steps you can take to troubleshoot include checking all connections and cables, ensuring the correct parameters are set, and adjusting the time constant and sensitivity settings. You can also refer to the user manual or consult with the manufacturer for further assistance.