Location finding for augmented reality

• Thread starter 1dude1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reality
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's plan to create or purchase a location system with extremely high accuracy for a large number of users in a specific area. The speaker has been considering this idea since 2008 and believes that current technology is almost capable of achieving their desired precision. They are seeking a system that can support 20,000 users and provide accurate location information down to less than 1mm. The system must also be able to send coordinates to users without draining their device's power. The speaker is open to building or buying the system and is seeking suggestions for the most accurate option available.
1dude1
So after talking about it with some future partners. We are looking to do something in the future. not this year, probably not next, but maybe within the next ten. I have had this idea since 2008 and now the technology is almost there.

i'm looking to either build or buy a location system capable of being as accurate as possible, EXCESSIVELY so. it needs to support at least 20,000 users and help them all find VERY accurate location information. the size of the area is about 1500m x 500m, all one level, very minimal interference(line of sight from one corner to the other) Needs to be closed loop. I will delete the info after it is done, the location will not move or change size. I would like accuracy down to less than 1mm throughout the whole field. but I could totally get it to work with 5-10 cm, just wouldn't be perfect like I want. system must be capable of generating location then sending coordinates to the users device so that the power isn't constantly drained from their devices, or should be able to, can make due without/if not possible.

So I know I sound new to this, and I am. But I am motivated to get this all done as well as possible. Everything worth doing is worth doing right. Sorry I can't give out more details about it. We all decided to keep our mouths shut about it thus far.

what is the most accurate, high distance, very high user count location system that I could either build or buy?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Centimeter accuracy is routinely achieved with inverse GPS signals, where a mini GPS range is established using ground based repeaters. It is used for missile and aircraft testing and is well established technology.
Call Rockwell or Trimble for quotes.

Related to Location finding for augmented reality

1. How does augmented reality use location finding?

Augmented reality (AR) uses location finding by utilizing GPS and other location-based technologies to pinpoint a user's location. This allows AR applications to overlay digital content on the user's real-world environment, creating a more immersive experience.

2. What methods are used for location finding in augmented reality?

There are several methods used for location finding in augmented reality, including GPS, Wi-Fi, cellular networks, and visual recognition. GPS is the most commonly used method, as it provides accurate and precise location data. Wi-Fi and cellular networks can also be used for more precise location tracking in indoor environments. Visual recognition uses the device's camera to identify and track visual markers in the environment.

3. How accurate is location finding in augmented reality?

The accuracy of location finding in augmented reality depends on the method used. GPS can provide accuracy within a few meters, while Wi-Fi and cellular networks can provide accuracy within a few feet. Visual recognition can also provide high accuracy, but it depends on the quality of the camera and the visual markers used.

4. Can location finding be used for indoor augmented reality?

Yes, location finding can be used for indoor augmented reality. As mentioned, Wi-Fi and cellular networks can provide more precise location tracking in indoor environments. Additionally, visual recognition can also be used for indoor AR by recognizing and tracking visual markers placed in the environment.

5. Are there any privacy concerns with location finding in augmented reality?

There can be privacy concerns with location finding in augmented reality, as it requires access to a user's location data. It is important for AR applications to have clear privacy policies and obtain user consent before accessing location data. Additionally, users should be aware of the potential risks and take precautions, such as turning off location services when not using AR apps.