Locate a servo or similar device

In summary: It sounds easier to do in software with an LCD display...but you probably know that.In summary, you can buy a micro-motor powered by a battery for about a dollar from any electronics surplus store. You can also buy a stepper motor for about $3.
Yportne
Hey guys...i'm trying to locate a servo or similar device that has just three basic stipulations...

It needs to:

-Be able to turn a thin 6 inch diameter plastic wheel (negligible weight, no resistance as it's not attached to anything but the servo)

-Complete at least a half revolution in either direction or 1 full revolution

-Be $3 or under...Sound possible?

Engineering news on Phys.org

You can buy a micro-motor powered by a battery for about a dollar frim any electronics surplus store.

(I'm going to predict that further stipulations are forthcoming...)

As you wish...another stipulation is that it has to have a little precision as the wheels orientation is of significance to us. So basically we need to be able to tell it how many degrees to rotate...

Yportne said:
As you wish...another stipulation is that it has to have a little precision as the wheels orientation is of significance to us. So basically we need to be able to tell it how many degrees to rotate...
Very different animal.

You are talking about a stepper motor.

You should go visit your local electronics surplus store. They will have what you need.

DaveC426913 said:
Very different animal.

You are talking about a stepper motor.

You should go visit your local electronics surplus store. They will have what you need.

Most servo motors are not stepper motors, but instead use some kind of absolute rotary encoder (a potentiometer, for example) to provide feedback which is used to correct the output of an ordinary DC motor. Never seen a $3 servo motor, though, particularly not one capable of a full rotation.

Some other DC motors have optical or magnetic encoders built in. These are often quadrature encoders that are only useful for measuring speed and relative motion, you would need something else (a limit switch, photointerrupter, etc) to establish a reference point to measure absolute position. You would also need something to decode the quadrature signal and control the motor. A DC motor with gear reducing and encoder is also unlikely to be had for $3, and the decoder and control circuitry won't be free.

Stepper motors are also relative positioning, requiring a reference point to set a zero against, and also require special control circuitry. You can get some used/surplus steppers in that price range that might be suitable, but the control electronics will increase the overall cost.

Sources...look at bgmicro.com, jameco.com, allelectronics.com, e-Bay...really, just Google for some lists of places to get robotics parts. You also haven't mentioned what kind of quantity you want these motors in...you can probably get a box of motors for considerably less than $3/motor off e-Bay with luck and patience, or one or two $2-3 steppers from somewhere else, but reliable supply is another matter unless you're doing huge quantities.

Yes, it was pretty obvious from the OP that we were going to need much more detail about what use it's being put to. There's all sorts of criteria to consider.

This is like playing 20 questions. I'm hoping the OP will volunteer to elaborate.

Sorry guys, you are dealing with a software guy trying to do hardware stuff he is in no way qualified for! But if you have the patience, i'll try to give more detail, i appreciate the help :)

Basically what I'm trying to accomplish is having 4 plastic circular platters or turn tables if you will (very thin and about 6 inches in diameter) rotate behind a small window. Around the brim of these platters will be cutouts of different images or symbols. The stepper motor will rotate the platters, thus showing a different symbol through the window...much like a slot machine would but they rotate around the z-axis rather than the x-axis.

The accuracy doesn't have to be exact, just enough so that one symbol can line up inside the window. I've read that the stepper motor's error % is not cumulative to each step possibly making this feasible?

The cheapness of the motor comes by the fact that I need to move 4 platters, but maybe if I get frisky with it I can rig it so that 1 motor can control all 4? But i'd like to just get one working right now.

Last edited:

Is this the basic idea?

Attachments

• PF20100121thingy.gif
    PF20100121thingy.gif
    10.8 KB · Views: 461
DaveC426913 said:
Is this the basic idea?

You got it...am I in over my head or is this fairly simple?

Yportne said:
You got it...am I in over my head or is this fairly simple?

It sounds easier to do in software with an LCD display...but you probably know that.
The per-step error of stepper motors is not cumulative, but if they miss a step they will become out of sync with the software controlling them. This is also a problem if they get moved or if things gets shut down in an unknown state. You could notch or mark the disk and use an IR LED/phototransistor pair to determine the orientation, or provide some way to adjust the disk positions to reset them to a zero position. Servos will not have this problem, you can tell them to go to an absolute position and they will do so.

Servos are more expensive, but stepper motors will require more drive electronics, and more work overall...specialized driver chips, or microcontrollers with sufficient output pins and power transistors/H-bridges, and possibly some kind of feedback. Your desired price per motor makes me suspect either option will cost more than you want to spend.

Driving multiple disks from one servo/stepper/gearmotor/whatever will add a great deal of mechanical complexity. Unless you're well equipped to design and fabricate whatever custom mechanical parts you need, I would not recommend it.

Related to Locate a servo or similar device

1. How do I locate a servo or similar device for my project?

There are a few ways to locate a servo or similar device. One option is to search online for retailers that specialize in robotics or electronics components. You can also check with local hobby shops or electronics stores. Another option is to look for online forums or communities that discuss robotics and ask for recommendations from fellow enthusiasts.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing a servo or similar device?

When choosing a servo or similar device, some important factors to consider include the torque and speed requirements for your specific project, the size and weight of the device, and its compatibility with your controller or microcontroller. It's also important to consider the power source and any additional features you may need, such as feedback sensors.

3. Can I use any servo or similar device for my project?

It's important to select a servo or similar device that is suitable for your project's needs. While some devices may be interchangeable, it's best to choose one that is specifically designed for the application you have in mind. For example, if you need a high-torque servo for a robot arm, it may not be suitable for use in a smaller project that requires more precise movements.

4. How do I connect a servo or similar device to my controller or microcontroller?

The specific steps for connecting a servo or similar device to your controller or microcontroller may vary depending on the device and the type of controller you are using. Generally, you will need to connect the power and ground pins to a power source, and the signal pin to a PWM (pulse width modulation) pin on your controller. Make sure to also refer to the device's datasheet or manual for specific instructions.

5. Can I control multiple servos or similar devices with one controller or microcontroller?

Yes, it is possible to control multiple servos or similar devices with one controller or microcontroller. However, you will need to make sure that your controller has enough PWM pins to accommodate all of the devices you want to control. Additionally, you may need to use a power source with enough voltage and current to power all of the devices simultaneously.