Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Localization - D&F Proposition 38., part (2)

Peter

MHB Site Helper
Jun 22, 2012
I am reading Dummit and Foote,, Section 15.4: Localization.

I am working on Proposition 38 - see attachment page 709 (also see attachment page 708 for definitions of \(\displaystyle ^eI \) and \(\displaystyle ^cJ \).

I am having some trouble proving the second part of Section (2), which D&F leave largely to the reader.

Proposition 38, Section 15.4, page 709 reads as follows:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2) For any ideal I of R we have

\(\displaystyle ^c{(^eI)} = \{ r \in R \ | \ dr \in I \) for some \(\displaystyle d \in D \} \)

Also \(\displaystyle ^eI = D^{-1}R \) if and only if \(\displaystyle I \cap D \ne \emptyset \)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can follow the proof of the first part of the above. However, for the proof of the second part - viz.:

\(\displaystyle ^eI = D^{-1}R \) if and only if \(\displaystyle I \cap D \ne \emptyset \)

D&F write "The second assertion of (2) then follows the definition of I' (where we have I' set equal to \(\displaystyle \{ r \in R \ | \ dr \in I \) for some \(\displaystyle d \in D \} \).

Can someone help me show (formally & rigorously) that \(\displaystyle ^eI = D^{-1}R \) if and only if \(\displaystyle I \cap D \ne \emptyset \) and thus help me to see how this follows easily from the definition of I'

Hope someone can help.

Peter

Deveno

MHB Math Scholar
Feb 15, 2012
One part of this is relatively easy:

Let $x \in I \cap D$. Then we have:

$r/d = (rx)/(dx) \in {}^eI$, which shows that $D^{-1}R = {}^eI$.

The reverse implication is a bit more complicated. Let's show first that $I'$ is indeed an ideal of $R$.

If $r,r' \in I'$ there exist $d,d' \in D$ such that: $rd,r'd' \in I$.

Hence $(r - r')(dd') = d'(rd) - d(r'd') \in I$, since $I$ is an ideal.

Since $dd' \in D,\ r - r' \in I'$, which shows $(I',+)$ is a subgroup of $(R,+)$.

If $r \in I'$ and $a$ is any element of $R$, we have for some $d \in D$:

$rd \in I$, so $a(rd) = (ar)d \in I$, showing $ar \in I'$.

Now if ${}^eI = D^{-1}R$, for any $d \in D$ we know that $d/1 \in {}^eI$.

But this means that $d \in {}^c({}^eI) = I'$ so for some other element

$d' \in D$, we have $dd' \in I$. Since $dd' \in D$, we have $dd' \in I \cap D$.

Peter

MHB Site Helper
Jun 22, 2012

The reverse implication is a bit more complicated. Let's show first that $I'$ is indeed an ideal of $R$.

Since $dd' \in D,\ r - r' \in I'$, which shows $(I',+)$ is a subgroup of $(R,+)$.

Appreciate the help, Deveno.

Working through your post now.

Peter

Peter

MHB Site Helper
Jun 22, 2012

Hi Deveno,

You write:

"Let $x \in I \cap D$. Then we have:

$r/d = (rx)/(dx) \in {}^eI$, which shows that $D^{-1}R = {}^eI$."

I am having trouble following this argument. Can you help by being more explicit regarding the logic involved.

Peter

Deveno

MHB Math Scholar
Feb 15, 2012
Any element of $D^{-1}R$ is $r/d$ for some $r \in R$ and $d \in D$.

Since:

$d'(r(dx) - d(rx)) = 0$ for any $d' \in D$ it is clear that:

$r/d = (rx)/(dx)$ for any $x \in D$ (including the one we know exists in $I \cap D$).

But $rx \in I$ (since $I$ is an ideal, and $x \in I$), and $dx \in D$ (since $D$ is multiplicative, and $x \in D$).

So $r/d = (rx)/(dx)$ is an element of $D^{-1}R$ where the "numerator" is in $I$, and the "denominator" is in $D$, that is, an element of $D^{-1}I = {}^eI$.

This shows $D^{-1}R \subseteq D^{-1}I = {}^eI$.

Since ${}^eI$ is clearly a subset of $D^{-1}R$, we have equality.

Peter

MHB Site Helper
Jun 22, 2012
Any element of $D^{-1}R$ is $r/d$ for some $r \in R$ and $d \in D$.

Since:

$d'(r(dx) - d(rx)) = 0$ for any $d' \in D$ it is clear that:

$r/d = (rx)/(dx)$ for any $x \in D$ (including the one we know exists in $I \cap D$).

But $rx \in I$ (since $I$ is an ideal, and $x \in I$), and $dx \in D$ (since $D$ is multiplicative, and $x \in D$).

So $r/d = (rx)/(dx)$ is an element of $D^{-1}R$ where the "numerator" is in $I$, and the "denominator" is in $D$, that is, an element of $D^{-1}I = {}^eI$.

This shows $D^{-1}R \subseteq D^{-1}I = {}^eI$.

Since ${}^eI$ is clearly a subset of $D^{-1}R$, we have equality.
Thanks Deveno ... yes, followed most of that ... most helpful ... just one further issue ...

I may be reacting too quickly here ... but from my reading of Sharp and also D&F, the extension of an ideal I to \(\displaystyle D^{-1}R \) is defined as the ideal \(\displaystyle \pi(I).D^{-1}R \) generated by \(\displaystyle \pi (I) \) in \(\displaystyle D^{-1}R \)

So \(\displaystyle ^eI = \pi(I).D^{-1}R \)

Is this correct?

So I am concerned to see exactly how/why \(\displaystyle ^eI \) becomes \(\displaystyle D^{-1}I \)? That is, why exactly can \(\displaystyle \pi(I).D^{-1}R \) be regarded as composed of elements r/d where \(\displaystyle r \in R \) and \(\displaystyle d \in D \)?

Can you clarify?

Peter

Peter

MHB Site Helper
Jun 22, 2012
Thanks Deveno ... yes, followed most of that ... most helpful ... just one further issue ...

I may be reacting too quickly here ... but from my reading of Sharp and also D&F, the extension of an ideal I to \(\displaystyle D^{-1}R \) is defined as the ideal \(\displaystyle \pi(I).D^{-1}R \) generated by \(\displaystyle \pi (I) \) in \(\displaystyle D^{-1}R \)

So \(\displaystyle ^eI = \pi(I).D^{-1}R \)

Is this correct?

So I am concerned to see exactly how/why \(\displaystyle ^eI \) becomes \(\displaystyle D^{-1}I \)? That is, why exactly can \(\displaystyle \pi(I).D^{-1}R \) be regarded as composed of elements r/d where \(\displaystyle r \in R \) and \(\displaystyle d \in D \)?

Can you clarify?

Peter
Hi Deveno,

I have been reflecting on the above post, concerning my question as to why we would choose to regard:

\(\displaystyle ^eI = \pi (I).D^{-1}R \) ... ... ... (1)

as

\(\displaystyle ^eI = D^{-1}I \) ... ... ... (2)

So, for the above notation in (2) to make sense and be coherent, we need to show that the definition (1) above leads to elements being of the form b/d where \(\displaystyle b \in I \) and \(\displaystyle d \in D \).

Now, \(\displaystyle \pi : \ R \to D^{-1}R \) is of the form \(\displaystyle \pi(r) = r/1 \) for \(\displaystyle r \in R \).

Therefore elements of the ideal generated by \(\displaystyle \pi(I) \) in \(\displaystyle D^{-1}R \) are of the form:

\(\displaystyle \frac{a_1}{1}\frac{r_1}{d_1} + \frac{a_2}{1}\frac{r_2}{d_2} + ... \ ... + \frac{a_n}{1}\frac{r_n}{d_n} \) where \(\displaystyle a_i \in I, r_i \in R \) and \(\displaystyle d_i \in D \).

So then elements of the ideal generated by \(\displaystyle \pi(I) \) in \(\displaystyle D^{-1}R \) are of the form:

\(\displaystyle \frac{a_1r_1}{d_1} + \frac{a_2r_2}{d_2} + ... \ ... + \frac{a_nr_n}{d_n} \)

But since \(\displaystyle \pi (I).D^{-1}R \) is an ideal and also I is an ideal, the above elements are of the form:

\(\displaystyle \frac{b_1}{d_1} + \frac{b_2}{d_2} + ... \ ... + \frac{b_n}{d_n} = \frac{b}{d} \) where \(\displaystyle b_i \in I \) and \(\displaystyle d_i \in D \)

Thus the elements of \(\displaystyle ^eI = \pi (I).D^{-1}R \) are of the form \(\displaystyle \frac{b}{d} \) where \(\displaystyle b \in I \) and \(\displaystyle d \in D \) and so we can sensibly view \(\displaystyle ^eI \) as \(\displaystyle D^{-1}I \).

Can you confirm that the above reasoning is correct?

Peter

Deveno

MHB Math Scholar
Feb 15, 2012
Yes..."loosely speaking", we want numerators in $I$, denominators in $D$.

The contraction does the opposite: we want the numerators of the elements in $J$, more precisely the pre-image under the ring homomorphism:

$\pi: R \to \pi(R) \subseteq D^{-1}R$

of the set $J \cap \pi(R)$.

Suppose we take $R = \Bbb Z$ with $D = \{2^n\}$. let's look at the extension of $I = (3)$. Note that $I \cap D = \emptyset$.

Well the direct images under $\pi$ of the elements of $(3)$ are rational numbers of the form:

$\dfrac{3k}{1}$. Multiplying by one of the "inverses" of $D$, we get fractions of the form:

$\dfrac{3k}{2^m}$

Let's add two of these together. We'll assume $n = m + m'$:

$\dfrac{3k}{2^m} + \dfrac{3k'}{2^n} = \dfrac{3k 2^{m'}}{2^n} + \dfrac{3k'}{2^n}$

$= \dfrac{3k 2^{m'} + 3k'}{2^n} = \dfrac{3k''}{2^n}$

where $k'' = k 2^{m'} + k' \in \Bbb Z$.

If we multiply a "typical" element by any element of $D^{-1}R$, we get:

$\dfrac{a}{2^{m'}}\dfrac{3k}{2^m} = \dfrac{3(ak)}{2^{m+m'}}$

On the other hand, consider the ideal $J$ in $D^{-1}R$ generated by $\dfrac{3}{1}$.

Clearly this ideal contains $\dfrac{1}{2^n}\dfrac{3}{1} = \dfrac{3}{2^n}$

for any $n \in \Bbb N$ (from the multiplicative property of an ideal), and repeated sums of such elements gives us any element:

$\dfrac{3k}{2^n}$.

Since $(3)$ is a prime ideal of $\Bbb Z$, we know that $\left(\dfrac{3}{1}\right)$ is a likewise a prime ideal of $D^{-1}R$, but this can also be shown directly:

If: $\dfrac{ab}{2^{m+m'}} = \dfrac{3k}{2^n}$

one of $a,b$ must be a multiple of $3$ (use "cross-multiplication" (since we have an integral domain for $R$) to get a relation between integers).

It turns out that $D^{-1}R$ preserves "almost all" the properties of $\Bbb Z = R$ except that factors of 2 "disappear" into the denominators (in the ring of dyadic fractions, 2 is no longer prime, as it becomes a unit...we have created (loosely speaking) "a ring out of odd numbers" (something that is not possible in the integers alone)).

Personally, I conjecture that this construction is the origin of the phrase: "what are the odds?"...a game of chance might typically have an outcome space of $2^m$ events, in which case the chance that a certain desired outcome will occur is the ratio of two odd numbers: if you have a 1 in 4 chance of winning, the odds are 3 to 1.

Peter

MHB Site Helper
Jun 22, 2012

Hi Deveno,

I was just working carefully through the above post again to ensure that I understood it all ... but found I did not completely follow one of the steps in your logic ...

You write:

"Now if ${}^eI = D^{-1}R$, for any $d \in D$ we know that $d/1 \in {}^eI$.

$d' \in D$, we have $dd' \in I$. Since $dd' \in D$, we have $dd' \in I \cap D$."

Can you clarify exactly why \(\displaystyle {}^c({}^eI) = I' \).

Peter

Peter

MHB Site Helper
Jun 22, 2012
Hi Deveno,

I was just working carefully through the above post again to ensure that I understood it all ... but found I did not completely follow one of the steps in your logic ...

You write:

"Now if ${}^eI = D^{-1}R$, for any $d \in D$ we know that $d/1 \in {}^eI$.

$d' \in D$, we have $dd' \in I$. Since $dd' \in D$, we have $dd' \in I \cap D$."

Can you clarify exactly why \(\displaystyle {}^c({}^eI) = I' \).

Peter
Oh! ... how foolish of me ... \(\displaystyle {}^c({}^eI) = I' \) is the result of the first part of the proposition we are proving ... forgive me ... I am studying too myopically :)

Peter