Anybody want to play PM or email chess?

Let's find a freeware version and get started!In summary, the participants are discussing the possibility of playing chess by email or Private Message, with one member suggesting the idea of finding a freeware version of chess to hold tournaments on the platform. They express excitement and willingness to participate in this activity.
photon
Does anybody here want to play chess by email or Private Message? I am not exactly a chess master, but I still like the game.

Physics news on Phys.org
Come on, I'm waitin for a challenger.
What's holding you people back? Are you afraid to be beat by a kid with the ink still wet on his birth certificate?

We should find a freeware version of chess that is networkable and then hold tournaments here. Could be fun!

Okay

E4

That sounds like an excellent idea

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
We should find a freeware version of chess that is networkable and then hold tournaments here. Could be fun!

Sounds like fun.

1. What is PM or email chess?

PM or email chess is a form of correspondence chess in which players make their moves by sending them through private messaging or email. It allows players to play at their own pace without having to be online at the same time.

2. How do I find someone to play PM or email chess with?

There are various online platforms and forums dedicated to correspondence chess where you can find potential opponents. You can also ask your friends or fellow chess enthusiasts if they are interested in playing.

3. Is PM or email chess as challenging as traditional chess?

Yes, PM or email chess requires the same level of strategic thinking, skill, and knowledge of the game as traditional chess. Some players even argue that it can be more challenging due to the longer time frame and lack of face-to-face interaction with the opponent.

4. How long does a PM or email chess game usually last?

The duration of a PM or email chess game depends on the players' pace and preferences. It can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months to complete a game, as each player has a set amount of time to make their move before the game is automatically forfeited.

5. Can I use chess engines or databases in PM or email chess?

Most online platforms and forums do not allow the use of chess engines or databases in PM or email chess. It is considered cheating and goes against the spirit of fair play in correspondence chess. However, players can agree to use these tools beforehand if they both consent to it.