Local/Proper Time of EM Waves: Explained

In summary: What is correct is to say "that light originated with an energy of X as measured by an observer at rest relative to the source."In summary, there is no concept of local/proper time for electromagnetic waves due to the lack of a rest frame of reference. The idea of a spacetime interval is only applicable for timelike paths, not lightlike or null paths. Redshift is not intrinsic to a light signal and depends on the motion of the source, path, and observer. Energy is also observer dependent, making it inaccurate to say that light originated with a specific energy without specifying an observer at rest relative to the source.
stoomart
This may be a dumb question, but some of these other thread got me wondering: is there a concept of local/proper time for electromagnetic waves?

I imagine the only 'clock' that could measure time (ticks) at the speed of light would be the field oscillations.

Physics news on Phys.org
stoomart said:
This may be a dumb question, but some of these other thread got me wondering: is there a concept of local/proper time for electromagnetic waves?
No. There's a FAQ here somewhere on why there is no such thing as a rest Frame of Reference for EM waves (and thus the concept of time is meaningless for them).

Here it is:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/rest-frame-of-a-photon.511170/

Thanks phinds, I assumed that was the case, but the following from the Spacetime article on Wikipedia has me confused:

In other words, the spacetime interval between two events on the world line of something moving at the speed of light is zero. Such an interval is termed lightlike or null. A photon arriving in our eye from a distant star will not have aged, despite having (from our perspective) spent years in its passage.​

Is this "spacetime interval" only applicable in SR?

The idea that light does not age seems odd to me considering CMBR and red-shifting, though I suppose that has more to do with expansion/stretching than "aging".

The spacetime interval is a fine concept, and it works for timelike, spacelike, or null paths. But the spacetime interval is only called proper time for timelike paths.

Likes stoomart
stoomart said:
seems odd to me considering CMBR and red-shifting, though I suppose that has more to do with expansion/stretching than "aging".
Redshift is not something intrinsic of a light signal. It depends on the motion of the source, the path, and the motion of the observer. You cannot say "that light pulse has frequency X" without specifying an observer, at least implicitly.

Orodruin said:
Redshift is not something intrinsic of a light signal. It depends on the motion of the source, the path, and the motion of the observer. You cannot say "that light pulse has frequency X" without specifying an observer, at least implicitly.
That makes sense since distant observers would record a different frequency. Would it be accurate to say "that light originated with energy X"? If so, does this imply light doesn't lose energy while traveling through vacuum, but instead the energy is simply spread/stretched out?

I imagine a CMB wave being emitted as something like a slinky over a certain period of time from the source, which is observed as something like spaghetti over a much longer period of time until the whole string (photon) has been received.

stoomart said:
Would it be accurate to say "that light originated with energy X"?
No. Energy is also observer dependent.

Related to Local/Proper Time of EM Waves: Explained

1. What is local/proper time of EM waves?

The local/proper time of EM waves refers to the time measured by an observer who is at rest relative to the source of the waves. It takes into account the effects of time dilation due to the relative motion between the observer and the source.

2. How is local/proper time of EM waves different from absolute time?

The concept of absolute time assumes that time is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. However, according to the theory of special relativity, the local/proper time of EM waves can vary depending on the relative motion between the source and the observer.

3. Why is it important to consider the local/proper time of EM waves?

Considering the local/proper time of EM waves is important because it helps us understand the effects of relative motion on the measurement of time. It also allows us to accurately calculate the speed of light, which is a fundamental constant in physics.

4. How is the local/proper time of EM waves calculated?

The local/proper time of EM waves can be calculated using the Lorentz transformation, which takes into account the relative velocity between the source and the observer. This transformation allows us to convert between measurements of time and space made by different observers.

5. Does the local/proper time of EM waves have any practical applications?

Yes, the concept of local/proper time of EM waves has several practical applications. For example, it is used in the design of GPS systems, which rely on accurate measurements of time to determine location. It is also important in the study of high-speed particles and the effects of time dilation on their measurements.