Stuck on an Integral: Need a Nudge in the Right Direction!

In summary, the person is struggling with an integral and has attempted completing the square and using a substitution, but has not been able to get the correct answer. They ask for help and someone suggests a substitution of u=sqrt(5)*Cosh(t). Another person confirms this as the answer and provides an alternate approach using a substitution of u=x+3.
Zurtex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Got an integral that for some reason I can't do, very much annoying me because this is supposed to be the stuff I am good at. A nudge in the right direction would be great, here it is:

[tex]\int \frac{(x+2)dx}{\sqrt{x^2+6x+4}}[/tex]

I have attempted completing the square on the bottom to get [itex](x+3)^2-5[/itex] and then I tried the substitution [itex]u=x+3[/itex]. After messing about with it a bit I got an answer but it didn't look right and it was a lot different from the answer I got off an online integrator and its answer really did look better.

Any help would be great thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried the substitution:
u= sqrt(5)*Cosh(t)?

Thanks, could someone please confirm this is the answer then:

[tex]\sqrt{ \frac{x^2-6x+4}{5} } - \cosh^{-1}\left(\frac{x-3}{\sqrt{5}}\right) + C[/tex]

Well, I got the -6x term to be +6x, and the x-3 to be x+3

Actually, I like your first idea of substituting for x+3. If you let u= x+3, then
x2+6x+ 4= (x+3)2- 5= u2- 5 and x+2= x+3-1= u-1 so the integral becomes
[tex]\int{\frac{u-1}{\sqrt{u^2-5}}du[/tex]
which we can separate into
[tex]\int{\frac{udu}{\sqrt{u^2-5}}+ \int{\frac{du}{\sqrt{u^2-5}}[/tex]

Now you can make the substitution v= u2-5 in the first integral and
[tex]sec(\theta)= \sqrt{5}u [/tex] in the second.

Last edited by a moderator:
kk thanks for the help and thanks for the other approach :smile:

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to solve problems related to finding the total change in a quantity over a continuous interval.

Why do I need help with an integral?

Integrals can be complex and require a strong understanding of calculus principles. Many people struggle with solving integrals, especially when they encounter unfamiliar types of functions or when the problem is presented in a complicated way. Seeking help can provide a fresh perspective and help you approach the problem in a different way.

How can I solve an integral?

There are several methods for solving integrals, including using basic integration rules, substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. It is important to first identify the type of integral you are dealing with and then apply the appropriate method to solve it.

What should I do if I am stuck on an integral?

If you are stuck on an integral, take a step back and review the problem. Make sure you understand the problem and the given information. You can also try breaking the integral into smaller parts or using a different method to solve it. Seeking help from a tutor or classmate can also be beneficial.

Why is it important to learn how to solve integrals?

Integrals are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They are essential for solving real-world problems and understanding complex systems. Learning how to solve integrals can also improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills.