Local Coordinates for Non-Uniformly Accelerated Observer

In summary: This is all pretty confusing to me so if someone could explain it more concisely that would be great!
LAHLH
Hi,

I'm reading a paper about acceleration and the author states the local coordinates of the observer [tex](\tau,x)[/tex] (for a non-uniformly accelerated observer) are specified (in relation to the inertial coordates (T,X)):

[tex] T(\tau)=\int^{\tau}\,\mathrm{d}\alpha\,[1+g(\alpha)x]\cosh{(\chi(\alpha))} [/tex]
[tex] X(\tau)=\int^{\tau}\,\mathrm{d}\alpha\,[1+g(\alpha)x]\sinh{(\chi(\alpha))} [/tex]

the author references another paper that then references another book by Moller (1969) but when I got that book I couldn't find the relevant section that explains these coordinates. So the above is how the inertial coordinates (T,X) are related to the local coordinates [tex](\tau,x)[/tex].

If one is just interested in the trajectory of this accelerated (non-uniformly) observer in the inertial coords (T,X) then I can see that the trajectory is:

[tex] T_{*}(\tau)=\int^{\tau}\,\mathrm{d}\alpha\,\cosh{(\chi(\alpha))} [/tex]
[tex] X_{*}(\tau)=\int^{\tau}\,\mathrm{d}\alpha\,\sinh{(\chi(\alpha))} [/tex]

where [tex]d\chi(\tau)/d\tau=g(\tau)[/tex] and [tex] g(\tau)[/tex] is the time varying proper acceleration in all of the above.

So I can see where the trajectory of this observer in the inertial coords comes from (one just has to differentiate and take the four vector product of the four acceleration to see it has the correct norm etc. But I'm trying to get my head around these local coordinates, do they correspond to the Fermi-Walker tetrad somehow?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually it seems possible to invert these to write:

[tex] x=\frac{1}{g(\tau)}\left[\sqrt{\left(\frac{dT}{d\tau}\right)^2-\left(\frac{dX}{d\tau}\right)^2}-1\right] [/tex]

I'm not sure what metric the author is using but assuming [tex] U^2=-1 [/tex] along the accelerated trajectory then [tex] \sqrt{\left(\frac{dT}{d\tau}\right)^2-\left(\frac{dX}{d\tau}\right)^2}=1 [/tex] then x=0 for the accelerated trajectory? so x is a good coordinate for a comoving reference frame with the observer?

------------

I also seem to find inverting to try and get [tex]\tau[/tex]:

[tex] \chi(\tau)=\text{arctanh}(\frac{dX}{dT}) [/tex]

so given that [tex]d\chi/d\tau=g(\tau) [/tex]:

[tex]g(\tau)=\frac{1}{1-\left(\frac{dX}{dT}\right)^2} =\gamma^2\text{??}[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Local Coordinates for Non-Uniformly Accelerated Observer

What are local coordinates for non-uniformly accelerated observer?

Local coordinates for non-uniformly accelerated observer refer to a coordinate system that is centered around an observer who is experiencing non-uniform acceleration. It takes into account the observer's motion and the effects of acceleration on their measurements.

Why are local coordinates important for non-uniformly accelerated observer?

Local coordinates are important because they allow for the accurate measurement of physical quantities for an observer in non-uniform acceleration. Without taking into account the observer's motion, the measurements may be incorrect and lead to inaccurate conclusions.

How are local coordinates different from global coordinates?

Local coordinates are specific to a particular observer and their motion, while global coordinates are a universal coordinate system that applies to all observers. Local coordinates take into account the effects of acceleration, while global coordinates do not.

Can local coordinates be used for uniformly accelerated observer?

Yes, local coordinates can be used for uniformly accelerated observer as well. In this case, the observer is experiencing a constant acceleration, and the local coordinates will account for this constant acceleration in their measurements.

Are there any limitations to using local coordinates for non-uniformly accelerated observer?

Yes, there are limitations to using local coordinates for non-uniformly accelerated observer. They are only accurate in the immediate vicinity of the observer and may not accurately represent the entire system. In addition, they may not work for extreme cases of acceleration or in situations where multiple observers are present.