Loads using pulleys in a deflection test apparatus.

In summary, using a ratchet strap instead of a weight will allow you to apply varying amounts of force to the test member.
dakirk08
I am desiging a simple deflection test apparatus for my company.

In the system I am using a few pulleys, a steel cable, a force gage, and a ratchet strap.
I want to use the ratchet strap as opposed to dead weights so I can apply varying amounts of force to the test member.

My question is...If I apply a force of 10 lbs to the ratchet strap so that the force gage reads 10 lbs of force; is that comparable to hanging 10 lbs of dead weight from the test member. Or, will the use of pulleys change the amount of force. My assumption is that the pulleys will only change the direction of the force, not alter it.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Please see attached diagram.

View attachment Deflection Test Apparatus.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the tension in the whole cable is uniform and the two parts of the cable up to the load are parallel, you would have a 20lb force on the test speciimen for a 10lb tension in the cable, because the cable is doubled. Look at the section on levers and pulley systems in a mechanics textbook if you don't see why.

For a practical setup, I would suggest yuu run the cable over another pulley hung from the nylon strap to reduce the friction in the system. In your drawing, the friction at the clip, together with the sharp bend in the cable, will probably make the tension in the cable on each sides of the clip different, and then you don't know what total load is being applied with any accuracy. You would probably find if you plotted the test results as you increased the tension and then decreased it again, the two curves would be significantly different (and of course they should be the same).

Thank you very much. I thought my logic may be a little off. The textbook that I have "Physics" by Paul E. Tippens just touches on pulleys, and I kept running in circles in my logic. The reason I was using the spring clip instead of a pulley was simply because that's what home depot had. They were out of the other pulleys, but I will go back and see if i can find one.

Related to Loads using pulleys in a deflection test apparatus.

1. How does a pulley work in a deflection test apparatus?

Pulleys are used in a deflection test apparatus to change the direction of the force applied to the load. This allows for easier measurement and control of the load. The pulley system also reduces the amount of force needed to lift the load.

2. What is the purpose of a deflection test in a pulley system?

A deflection test is used to measure the amount of deflection or bending that a material undergoes when a load is applied. In a pulley system, the deflection test helps to determine the strength and durability of the materials used in the apparatus.

3. How is the load calculated in a deflection test using pulleys?

The load is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the load by the number of pulleys in the system. For example, if a force of 10 Newtons is applied and there are two pulleys, then the load on the load cell would be 20 Newtons.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of a deflection test using pulleys?

The accuracy of a deflection test can be affected by several factors, such as the type and condition of the materials used in the apparatus, the alignment of the pulleys, and the accuracy of the load measuring device. It is important to properly calibrate and maintain the apparatus for accurate results.

5. How can pulleys be used to increase the load capacity in a deflection test?

Pulleys can be used to increase the load capacity in a deflection test by distributing the load among multiple pulleys. This reduces the force applied to each individual pulley and allows for a higher load to be applied. However, this may also decrease the accuracy of the test as the load is divided among multiple pulleys.