Load on ladder leaning against a wall

• Thread starter engcon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Load Wall
In summary, the problem involves a ladder leaning against a vertical wall at a 30 degree angle, with a load of 800N placed 3-quarters of the way up. The ladder is resting on a rough horizontal surface, preventing slipping. The goal is to find the magnitude and direction of the reaction between the ladder and the ground. This can be solved by setting up three equations for forces and moments and solving for the reaction force and angle.
engcon
Hello, I got this problem from a book

"A light ladder leans against a perfetly smooth vertical wall at an angle of 30 degrees to the horizontal. A load of 800N is placed 3-quarters of the way up the ladder. If the ladder rests on a rough horizontal surface which prevents slipping, find the magnitude and direction of the reaction between the ladder and the ground"

Since the system is in equilibrium, I resolved vertically and got

R sin(theta) = 800

where R is the reaction force, and theta is the angle of the reaction force with the horizontal.

The problem is I can't get another equation so that I can find R and theta.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, first of all, my definition of "reaction" is the normal force produced by any surface, which I think does not coincide with your definition. In anycase, This problem involves three equations which are easily solved.

1. Fnet = 0 (in the x direction)
2. Fnet = 0 (in the y direction)
3. Mnet = 0 (torque, no rotation)

The frictionless wall will only produce a force in x. The floor will only produce a force in y. The friction at ladder's base will produce a force in -x. The 800 N load will produce a force in the -y.

Now for moments. Take the moments about the ladder's base (you can choose any point, but this point is particularly easy. Then the two forces that will create a torque around this point will be the 800N load (counter clockwise) and the reaction force of the wall (clockwise). They must sum up to zero.

Go get em =)

mezarashi said:
Now for moments. Take the moments about the ladder's base (you can choose any point, but this point is particularly easy. Then the two forces that will create a torque around this point will be the 800N load (counter clockwise) and the reaction force of the wall (clockwise). They must sum up to zero.

Go get em =)

No mention of the ladder length is made, so I cannot use moments

engcon said:
No mention of the ladder length is made, so I cannot use moments

Are you sure? Try denoting the length of the ladder as L. Leave it as L (you don't need to substitute a number), and see what happens.

Solved

Did that, and solved it

Thanks

Related to Load on ladder leaning against a wall

What is the maximum weight that a ladder can hold while leaning against a wall?

The maximum weight that a ladder can hold while leaning against a wall depends on the material and quality of the ladder. Generally, most ladders have a weight capacity of 250-300 pounds. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines for weight limits to ensure safety.

Can a ladder be used on uneven ground when leaning against a wall?

No, it is not safe to use a ladder on uneven ground when leaning against a wall. This can cause the ladder to shift or slide, leading to accidents. It is important to always place the ladder on a flat and stable surface for proper support.

How should a ladder be positioned when leaning against a wall?

A ladder should be positioned at a 75-degree angle when leaning against a wall. This means that for every 4 feet of height, the ladder should be placed 1 foot away from the wall. This angle provides the best stability and support for the ladder.

Is it safe to exceed the maximum load on a ladder leaning against a wall?

No, it is not safe to exceed the maximum load on a ladder leaning against a wall. Doing so can put too much stress on the ladder, causing it to break or collapse. Always follow the weight capacity guidelines provided by the manufacturer.

What are some safety precautions to take when using a ladder leaning against a wall?

Some safety precautions to take when using a ladder leaning against a wall include making sure the ladder is on a stable surface, avoiding overreaching, and using a spotter or having someone hold the ladder for added stability. It is also important to regularly inspect the ladder for any damage before use.