Load on a Horizontal Wire (Zip line)

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a horizontal zip line using a rocket engine to pull a rider. The wire used for the zip line has a high tensile strength but was not originally intended for this purpose. The question is raised about whether the wire can support the weight of a person and if using two parallel wires with separate pulleys could help distribute the load. A source is provided for calculating the load on the wire, but it is advised against attempting this as it can be dangerous in amateur hands.
Roman Kozak
I am creating a horizontal zip line, in which a rider will be pulled with a rocket engine. Completely serious. One end of the wire will be secured to a tractor and the other to a large tree.

The zip line will be made from 12.5 gauge (2 mm) galvanized class 3 200 KPSI minimum tensile strength, high tensile smooth wire. It has a 680 kg (1500 lbs) minimum breaking load. I purchased the wire without the intention for it to support a rider. I would like to use this wire, purchasing a lower gauge (thicker wire) is not possible. Here is a link to the product I have. I attached a image of the product tag as well.

My question is, at a distance of 1200 ft (366 m), would the wire be able to support the load of a person 91 kg (200 lbs) on a pulley? If one wire length ins't enough, would two wires running parallel, each with separate pulleys (splitting the load: 91 kg / 2) be able to support the load?

I know so far:
-With a mass of 91 kg, the weight of the load would be 91 kg * 9.81 m/s (gravity), therefore the load would actually be 893 kg and require 893 kg / 2 = 446 kg at each end of the wire to keep tension on it. Here is a source https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/zip-wire-loading.244497/ and see also https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/calculating-horizontal-wire-cable-load.42371/

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance! This is my first thread on Physics Forums :)

-Roman

Attachments

• wire_tag.jpg
    wire_tag.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 496
Physics news on Phys.org
Roman Kozak said:
I am creating a horizontal zip line, in which a rider will be pulled with a rocket engine. Completely serious...

-With a mass of 91 kg, the weight of the load would be 91 kg * 9.81 m/s (gravity), therefore the load would actually be 893 kg and require 893 kg / 2 = 446 kg at each end of the wire to keep tension on it. Here is a source https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/zip-wire-loading.244497/
Welcome to PF.

The last post in that thread, before it was locked, says:
that is both incorrect and dangerously mistaken since it grossly underestimates the tension in the line
A completely horizontal zip line is completely impossible. The tension will depend on how much sag you are willing to accept and is easily calculated with trigonometry (a horizontal zipline isn't applying any component of force upwards...the angle determines the component of force in each direction). Beyond that, we can't help you with something so inherently dangerous in amateur hands. Please do not attempt this: it is not safe.

Related to Load on a Horizontal Wire (Zip line)

1. What is the load on a horizontal wire (zip line)?

The load on a horizontal wire, also known as a zip line, refers to the weight or force that is applied to the wire. This can include the weight of the rider, the equipment, and any external forces such as wind or friction.

2. How is the load distributed on a horizontal wire (zip line)?

The load on a horizontal wire is distributed evenly along the length of the wire. This is due to the tension in the wire, which acts as a balancing force to support the weight of the rider and keep the wire taut.

3. What factors affect the load on a horizontal wire (zip line)?

The load on a horizontal wire can be affected by various factors, such as the weight of the rider and equipment, the angle of the wire, the length and diameter of the wire, and external forces such as wind or friction. Changes in any of these factors can impact the overall load on the wire.

4. How is the load on a horizontal wire (zip line) calculated?

The load on a horizontal wire can be calculated using the formula F = m x g, where F is the force or load, m is the mass of the rider and equipment, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). This formula takes into account the weight of the load and the force of gravity acting on it.

5. How is the load on a horizontal wire (zip line) managed and controlled?

The load on a horizontal wire is managed and controlled through various safety measures and protocols. This can include weight limits for riders, regular inspections and maintenance of the wire, and using appropriate equipment and techniques for braking and slowing down the rider to decrease the load on the wire. Additionally, proper training and supervision of riders can help ensure the load on the wire stays within a safe range.