Load cell (how to convert V to N)

In summary, a load cell is a transducer that converts force or weight into an electrical signal using a strain gauge. The relationship between voltage and force is typically linear, with the load cell's sensitivity determining the calibration factor. To convert voltage to force, the sensitivity must be known and multiplied by the output voltage. Factors such as temperature, overloading, and incorrect installation can affect the accuracy of the conversion. A load cell can measure both tension and compression, but with different sensitivities.
agentas
Hello,
I have Omega made load cell with 150g capacity,Rated output 2mV/V, Excitation 10V.How I can convert voltage values to the force (Newtons)?When no force applied meter shows 0,06V and then i pressing with finger the max value I get is 0.7V.So how I can converts those volts to Newtons now?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did your load cell come with any instructions or documentation?

Related to Load cell (how to convert V to N)

What is a load cell and how does it work?

A load cell is a type of transducer that is used to convert force or weight into an electrical signal. It works by using a strain gauge, which is a thin wire or film that changes resistance when it is stretched or compressed. This change in resistance is then converted into an electrical signal that is proportional to the applied force or weight.

What is the relationship between voltage and force in a load cell?

The relationship between voltage and force in a load cell is typically linear. This means that as the applied force increases, the output voltage of the load cell will also increase proportionally. This relationship is known as the load cell's sensitivity or calibration factor.

How can I convert voltage (V) to force (N) using a load cell?

To convert voltage to force using a load cell, you will need to know the sensitivity of your load cell. This is usually provided by the manufacturer and is measured in mV/V (millivolts per volt). To convert, simply multiply the output voltage by the sensitivity to get the force in Newtons (N). For example, if your load cell has a sensitivity of 2 mV/V and the output voltage is 4 V, the force would be 8 N (4 V x 2 mV/V = 8 N).

What factors can affect the accuracy of a load cell's voltage to force conversion?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of a load cell's voltage to force conversion. These include temperature changes, overloading, and incorrect installation or mounting. It is important to properly calibrate and maintain the load cell to ensure accurate readings.

Can a load cell measure both tension and compression?

Yes, a load cell can measure both tension and compression. The strain gauge inside the load cell is designed to change resistance in both directions, allowing it to measure force in both directions as well. However, it is important to note that a load cell will have a different sensitivity for tension and compression, so it is important to use the correct value for conversions.