Lithium Iron Disulfide Battery Chemistry

In summary, Lithium Iron Disulfide Batteries have a cathode of Iron Disulfide, an anode of Lithium, and an organic solvent blend as the electrolyte. The overall equation for these batteries is 4Li + FeS(2) --> Fe + 2Li(2)S. The half equations for these batteries are Li --> Li(+) + e- for the lithium oxidation and FeS2 -> Fe + S22- for the reduction.
greg136
I've been researching Lithium Iron Disulfide Batteries, but I've been unable to find the half-equations for the Cathode and Anode.

Cathode - Iron Disulfide
Anode - Lithium
Electrolyte - Organic Solvent Blend (Propylene Carbonite, Dioxolane, Dimethoxyethane)

The overall equation is,

4Li + FeS(2) --> Fe + 2Li(2)S

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
No idea what is exactly happening in these batteries, but just looking at overall equation it is obvious what is getting oxidized and what is getting reduced, so half reactions seem pretty straghtforward.

--
methods

Borek said:
so half reactions seem pretty straghtforward.

Not for me, I've not done chemistry since GCSE :S

Anyway, this is what I've come up with,

Li --> Li(+) + e-

and

FeS(2) + 4Li(+) + 4e- -- > Fe + 2Li(2)S

How do they look?

Cheers

First one - lithium oxidation - is OK. There is a problem with the other one, as you have mixed both half reactions together. You need something like FeS2 -> Fe + S22-, just balanced with electrons so that charge is identical on both sides.

--

Ok, thanks for that.

Related to Lithium Iron Disulfide Battery Chemistry

1. What is a lithium iron disulfide battery?

A lithium iron disulfide battery, also known as a Li-FeS2 battery, is a type of primary battery that uses lithium as the anode, iron disulfide as the cathode, and a non-aqueous electrolyte. It is commonly used in small electronic devices such as cameras, calculators, and watches.

2. How does a lithium iron disulfide battery work?

In a lithium iron disulfide battery, lithium ions from the anode react with iron disulfide in the cathode, producing lithium sulfide and iron. This reaction generates electricity that can power a device. The non-aqueous electrolyte helps to facilitate the movement of lithium ions between the anode and cathode.

3. What are the advantages of using a lithium iron disulfide battery?

Lithium iron disulfide batteries have a high energy density, making them a popular choice for small electronic devices. They also have a long shelf life and can operate in a wide range of temperatures. They are also relatively safe compared to other types of batteries, as they do not contain toxic materials.

4. What are the limitations of lithium iron disulfide batteries?

One limitation of lithium iron disulfide batteries is their low energy density compared to other types of rechargeable batteries, such as lithium-ion batteries. This means they may not be suitable for high-power devices or devices that require continuous use for long periods of time. They also have a limited number of charge cycles, typically around 10-20, before their performance begins to degrade.

5. What are some potential applications of lithium iron disulfide batteries?

Lithium iron disulfide batteries are commonly used in small electronic devices such as remote controls, electronic toys, and medical devices. They are also used in military and aerospace applications due to their high reliability and long shelf life. Additionally, they are being researched for use in larger scale energy storage systems, such as for renewable energy sources like solar and wind power.