Listening to the Feynman tapes on youtube, and I have a question.

In summary: There is no local resource for "all" key terms... but here is a good starting point This is a great resource, I always use it when I am looking for a specific term. It also has a good glossary at the end.In summary, Bill Gates released some lectures on physics that are interesting and easy to listen to. He talks about how mathematics is the language of physics, but that it is also restricted and that physicists are brilliant because they use this language and mathematics together. He also recommends a website or book that has a list of all the important terms in physics.
49ers2013Champ
Apparently Bill Gates bought some tapes and released them to the public. I've been listening to them all day, and I'm enjoying the hell out of them.

In lecture #2, the one on the relationship between mathematics and physics, he talks about how mathematics is the language of physics but that mathematics alone cannot give one a thorough understanding of physics. He starts talking about how mathematicians are restricted and that language (concepts) plus mathematics is what makes physicists so brilliant. I'm paraphrasing him, but that's essentially what he said.

Here's my question: where can I get a list of all the key terms in physics? Inertia, gravity, acceleration, velocity, etc. Yeah, I already have those, but I want the rest.

Is there either a website or a general book for the public that contains all the important words involved in understanding physics, at least on a non-mathematical level?

In other words, I accept that I'm not smart enough to learn the mathematics of theories like general relativity, but I absolutely enjoy meditating on the language of physics. I do it all the time, and I'm just wanting a more organized way (list or book) of doing it.

Physics news on Phys.org
49ers2013Champ said:
Apparently Bill Gates bought some tapes and released them to the public. I've been listening to them all day, and I'm enjoying the hell out of them.

Here's my question: where can I get a list of all the key terms in physics? Inertia, gravity, acceleration, velocity, etc. Yeah, I already have those, but I want the rest.

Wow that was "cool" of him, "cool" as in socially responsible; a la his donations/charity.

I have long mused over SR and occasionally tried to with GR. I know of the definitions (equations or wording) for gravity / acceleration / inertia. But in no way do I understand the concepts. SR taught me about speed (velocity), and I feel I understand that concept; but it is certainly far from the simple calculation of distance divided by time..conceptually. Yes This is semantics, but hopefully you see what I am saying.

Last edited:
49ers2013Champ said:
Apparently Bill Gates bought some tapes and released them to the public.
Are you talking about the Cornell lectures?

49ers2013Champ said:
In other words, I accept that I'm not smart enough to learn the mathematics of theories like general relativity...
This is simply not true, please don't put yourself down like that; if you want to learn it then you can do it. Heck if I can do it then so can you. The mathematics of GR is not nearly as complicated as what people make it out to be.

Read this: http://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/0511073v1.pdf

Related to Listening to the Feynman tapes on youtube, and I have a question.

What is the purpose of listening to the Feynman tapes on YouTube?

The purpose of listening to the Feynman tapes on YouTube is to learn from the lectures of renowned physicist Richard Feynman. These tapes offer valuable insights into various scientific concepts and theories, as well as Feynman's unique approach to problem-solving.

Are the Feynman tapes on YouTube considered a reliable source of information?

Yes, the Feynman tapes on YouTube are considered a reliable source of information as they feature recordings of Feynman himself delivering lectures and discussing scientific concepts. However, it is always important to cross-check information from multiple sources to ensure accuracy.

Who is Richard Feynman and why is he important in the field of science?

Richard Feynman was an American theoretical physicist known for his contributions to quantum mechanics, quantum electrodynamics, and particle physics. He is also remembered for his teaching methods and his ability to explain complex scientific concepts in a simple and engaging manner.

Can the Feynman tapes on YouTube be helpful for students and researchers?

Yes, the Feynman tapes on YouTube can be extremely helpful for students and researchers as they provide a deeper understanding of various scientific concepts and theories. They can also serve as a valuable resource for those interested in learning from one of the most influential scientists of the 20th century.

Are the Feynman tapes suitable for all levels of scientific knowledge?

The Feynman tapes on YouTube can be beneficial for individuals of all levels of scientific knowledge. Feynman's lectures are known for their simplicity and clarity, making them accessible to both beginners and experts in the field of science.