Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

List of small site edits

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hi everyone,

Since we moved over to our custom theme, I've been slowly trying to eliminate all issues in appearance and functionality however after looking things over so many times, one loses the ability to notice things as well. I would appreciate getting feedback from you all on anything I've missed. Here are the two edits I've just emailed to our designer. Please add on to the list by replying to this thread.

1) Link color when previewing post - the links appear to be normal text until you make the post, which at first can be confusing.

2) Link color in profiles - links in signatures appear as normal text on member profile pages.

Jameson

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Hi everyone,

Since we moved over to our custom theme, I've been slowly trying to eliminate all issues in appearance and functionality however after looking things over so many times, one loses the ability to notice things as well. I would appreciate getting feedback from you all on anything I've missed. Here are the two edits I've just emailed to our designer. Please add on to the list by replying to this thread.

1) Link color when previewing post - the links appear to be normal text until you make the post, which at first can be confusing.

2) Link color in profiles - links in signatures appear as normal text on member profile pages.

Jameson
Hi Jameson, :)

I think the little envelop icon in-front of threads is too small. There seem to be a little padlock in it for closed threads and a green circle for subscribed threads. But all these details are too small to notice. I suggest making the whole envelop icon bigger.

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

• Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
@Sudharaka (and anyone else):

What do you think about these icons?

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
  • Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
The problems in the OP have been taken care of. Links from a signature will now show up as purple in profiles and links will be purple when you preview your post (I just tested it and it does work).

I think the latter change is a big one since it was really strange to make a link and not see it in the preview.

• Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I think I posted about this somewhere before but the problem wasn't resolved.

The issue concerns the different ways you can see new posts or recent posts. As far as I can see the options are:

1) Activity stream
2) "New Posts" located just below the "Forums" tab
3) "Quick Links" -> "Today's Posts"

It appears that all three search buttons are used regularly so if we reduce these options then someone will not be happy at first.

The layout of the Activity Stream has more space in the tables than the other search results, but it shows a lot of posts and you can choose to go further back once you reach the end of the page.

"Today's posts" seems to go only 24 hours back from the time of the search, but the post times are visible in the Activity Stream so you can easily know when you've gone back a whole 24 hours. I don't see a major benefit to keeping this search option in the navbar.

"New posts"is nice because it tracks each member individually but it doesn't output links to the new posts, only the threads in which a new post is located. You still have to navigate through the thread to find where you last read. The one thing this search does is save space by not listing the same thread over and over again in a row.

It's possible that I don't fully understand how each of these work so please correct me if I'm wrong. If I had to pick only one option it would be the Activity Stream combined with subscribing to threads I want to follow. As the site gets more traffic though the Activity Stream will be harder to navigate I believe.

--------
What do you guys think about these options and removing them? I would like to restructure some other parts of the navbar menu but need to decide what to do about these search options. Even if we keep them I think moving them to one place would be nicer than the way there are now.

Last edited:

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
I think I posted about this somewhere before but the problem wasn't resolved.

The issue concerns the different ways you can see new posts or recent posts. As far as I can see the options are:

1) Activity stream
2) "New Posts" located just below the "Forums" tab
3) "Quick Links" -> "Today's Posts"

It appears that all three search buttons are used regularly so if we reduce these options then someone will not be happy at first.

The layout of the Activity Stream has more space in the tables than the other search results, but it shows a lot of posts and you can choose to go further back once you reach the end of the page.

"Today's posts" seems to go only 24 hours back from the time of the search, but the post times are visible in the Activity Stream so you can easily know when you've gone back a whole 24 hours. I don't see a major benefit to keeping this search option in the navbar.

"New posts"is nice because it tracks each member individually but it doesn't output links to the new posts, only the threads in which a new post is located. You still have to navigate through the thread to find where you last read. The one thing this search does is save space by not listing the same thread over and over again in a row.

It's possible that I don't fully understand how each of these work so please correct me if I'm wrong. If I had to pick only one option it would be the Activity Stream combined with subscribing to threads I want to follow. As the site gets more traffic though the Activity Stream will be harder to navigate I believe.

--------
What do you guys think about these options and removing them? I would like to restructure some other parts of the navbar menu but need to decide what to do about these search options. Even if we keep them I think moving them to one place would be nicer than the way there are now.

Let me elaborate on how I use these search options. I never use the Activity stream. I think it a bit messy 'cause each single reply is listed there. I look for the threads and replies that have been posted since my last visit. Therefore, I use the New posts whenever I come online and occasionally Today's posts to see if I had missed any thread/post.

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

• Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

Let me elaborate on how I use these search options. I never use the Activity stream. I think it a bit messy 'cause each single reply is listed there. I look for the threads and replies that have been posted since my last visit. Therefore, I use the New posts whenever I come online and occasionally Today's posts to see if I had missed any thread/post.

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.
Thank you for letting me know. It seems that the New Posts and Today's Posts searches must be combined to find a list of all the latest threads, which I would like to reduce to 1 search.

Another option worth mentioning is that we can make a different search query to use. If you choose "Advanced search" to the right of the navbar tabs you can choose lots of options. If you choose to display all posts from yesterday and later, in order of the date/time of the post, the output will be a list of threads with new posts in them. This is different than the Activity Stream's format of listing all posts.

Yet another option would be to make the green "Activity" tab into a drop down menu with the three current options. That would save space and be better organized.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Good size. May want to experiment to see which of the color schemes are best. I don't like the pear or red ones. I like the dark brown ones best of the ones I've seen. The Thistle ones are also nice, too. Blue is ok. Light blue even better. But the dark brown is my favorite.
I just tried to change this and in doing so realized that these icons are not for threads, but for forums. We use a custom icon for our forums, the blue pi icon. Then I thought I could just use these anyway but there are many more required images for the thread icons so this pack doesn't have enough. I'll keep looking and post back.

EDIT: I reverted back to the standard vB icons for thread status, but as you can see there is a spacing issue. I've written our designer about how to fix it. If he doesn't get back to me later today, then I'll change them back until I figure out what to do, but the standard icons will work well I think.

Last edited:

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
I just tried to change this and in doing so realized that these icons are not for threads, but for forums. We use a custom icon for our forums, the blue pi icon. Then I thought I could just use these anyway but there are many more required images for the thread icons so this pack doesn't have enough. I'll keep looking and post back.

EDIT: I reverted back to the standard vB icons for thread status, but as you can see there is a spacing issue. I've written our designer about how to fix it. If he doesn't get back to me later today, then I'll change them back until I figure out what to do, but the standard icons will work well I think.
There seem to be a little problem with the alignment of these icons. The icons seem to overlap with the text. Here is a screenshot of what I see.

Last edited:

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
This is what I see:

Attachments

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I never use the Activity stream. I think it a bit messy 'cause each single reply is listed there. I look for the threads and replies that have been posted since my last visit. Therefore, I use the New posts whenever I come online and occasionally Today's posts to see if I had missed any thread/post...
I do exactly the same thing. I am online so frequently, that I virtually always use the New posts to see what has transpired since my last visit.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I commented on this spacing problem in my last post, but thank you both for the quick alert. I'm still waiting to hear back from our designer, so I'll give it until the end of the day and if I haven't heard from him I'll reupload the previous set of icons until we figure out how to fix the spacing.

@Sudharaka - That is what you should see right now.

@MarkFL - Your browser is using cached images so that's where the old icons are from. The two different icons that seem out of place for you is because those threads changed thread icons (new post, locked, hot thread, etc.) so the server sent you those images as needed.

Really all you need is to just clear your cache and they'll all match :) I just like over-explaining things sometimes.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I do exactly the same thing. I am online so frequently, that I virtually always use the New posts to see what has transpired since my last visit.
Good to know. I pretty much only use the Activity Stream so like I thought all three search presets are being used by someone. When MHB gets larger the Activity Stream (A.S.) will become very inefficient at using page space since the tables are larger than any other search and A.S. outputs every new post, even if all of them are in one thread.

I think the A.S. should go, given the above reasons. At the very least it will be removed from its current prime real estate. That would free up a large tab to use for something else. I can put all of the preset searches in one drop down menu as well so they all can be found easily.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
One search I do fairly frequently is Subscribed Threads, under Quick Links. That lets me know quickly if any thread I've been helping out with needs a reply.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
One search I do fairly frequently is Subscribed Threads, under Quick Links. That lets me know quickly if any thread I've been helping out with needs a reply.
This will surely stay somewhere in the navbar. Subscriptions will become more essential when we see higher traffic down the road, as the standard searches will bring back too many results to read through. Definitely want to make this feature stand out better.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
There seem to be a little problem with the alignment of these icons. The icons seem to overlap with the text. Here is a screenshot of what I see.
Problem is fixed now :) If you don't notice any different then try clearing your cache and reloading MHB.

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Problem is fixed now :) If you don't notice any different then try clearing your cache and reloading MHB.
Thank you. The icons are correctly aligned now. :)

Another little improvement that you can make is to edit the text in the welcome dialog box in the Arcade. :) I think that the part "This welcome text can be edited......." shouldn't be there. Isn't? :)

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
I have noticed that in the homepage beneath some of the sub-forum titles there is an introductory text about the type of questions that should be posted in that sub-forum. I think it would be nice to add introductory texts beneath each sub-forum title so as to make things more consistent. :)

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I have noticed that in the homepage beneath some of the sub-forum titles there is an introductory text about the type of questions that should be posted in that sub-forum. I think it would be nice to add introductory texts beneath each sub-forum title so as to make things more consistent. :)
Hmm, I am all for consistency normally so can't say this is a bad idea. If you want to propose the missing descriptions then I'll put them up once others approve :)

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
One feature I would like is that when you submit a post, to be notified that a post has been made while you were composing your own post, so that you don't come right after someone has given a hint or suggestion and possibly devalue the other person's help.

Would this be an easy feature to add?

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
One feature I would like is that when you submit a post, to be notified that a post has been made while you were composing your own post, so that you don't come right after someone has given a hint or suggestion and possibly devalue the other person's help.

Great idea! I do think I've seen this somewhere on the vbulletin modification forums. I'll see what I can find.

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Hmm, I am all for consistency normally so can't say this is a bad idea. If you want to propose the missing descriptions then I'll put them up once others approve :)
Here are my suggestions,

Pre-Algebra and Algebra:

Factorization, Properties of operations, Evaluating expressions, Variable manipulations, Equations

Geometry:

Points, Lines and Angles; Plane shapes and Solids; Constructions; Congruences and similarities

Trigonometry:

Anything related to Trigonometric functions

Announcements:

Here you'll find all the important notices about site changes, upgrades, promotion of members etc. Only staff members can make announcements.

Questions, Comments, and Feedback

Feel free to comment on anything regarding MHB. We really love to hear your feedback and ideas to improve the site.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

I found this mod and have installed but can't confirm yet that it works. The way it works it if there is a post between the time you hit "New reply" and then time you submit the post, a warning message will appear telling you this and that you might want to review your post. To try to test it right after I submit this post I'll start a reply to the thread and after someone else posts in it will see if the message appears.

Status
Not open for further replies.