List of materials and their damping properties

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the optimum damping ratio for a specific system and using this value to find real-world materials with similar damping ratios. There is a question about where to find a list of common materials and their associated damping ratios, with a suggestion to use a liquid to obtain the desired zeta value.
MJCfromCT
Hi all,

I've finished a hypothetical problem in which I have determined the optimum damping ratio $\zeta$ for a specific system. This [tex]$\zeta$[/tex] value (0.265 in my case) minimizes the peak force transmitted through an object.

My next step is to take this [tex]$\zeta$[/tex] value and find some sort of "real-world" material or product (wood, cork, rubber, commercial-off-the-shelf damper, etc), that has a [tex]$\zeta$[/tex] value close to this so that I can basically say: "Here's the ideal [tex]$\zeta$[/tex] value, here's how close you can get to that using this material or that material".

I'm not sure where I can find a list of common materials and their associated damping ratios, or if such a list even exists in the first place? Any advice? thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got me curious. I take it you have distinct elements: one with mass, one providing a spring constant, and one dampening element in one dimension.

Zeta doesn't seem to be a property of bulk materials, but would depend upon the shape of a solid damping element. In a one dimensional problem, and simple geometry, it would depend upon cross sectional area and length of the element, so seems to have units of D^-1 (or D^1).

But I'm beginning to think that the idea is to use a liquid, where you obtain zeta dependent upon the viscosity of the fluid.

Last edited:

Hi there,

Great job on determining the optimum damping ratio for your system! It sounds like you have a solid understanding of the concept and are now ready to apply it to real-world materials.

To answer your question, there are indeed lists of materials and their associated damping properties available. One such resource is the "Engineering Materials Handbook" by James F. Shackelford and Robert H. Doremus, which includes a section on damping properties of various materials.

Here are some common materials and their corresponding damping ratios:

1. Wood - 0.05 to 0.10
2. Cork - 0.05 to 0.10
3. Rubber - 0.10 to 0.50
4. Steel - 0.005 to 0.02
5. Aluminum - 0.01 to 0.05
6. Plastics - 0.02 to 0.10
7. Commercial-off-the-shelf dampers - 0.10 to 0.50

It's worth noting that these values can vary depending on the specific composition and processing of the material. Additionally, the damping ratio can also be affected by factors such as temperature, frequency, and strain.

I hope this helps in your search for a real-world material with a damping ratio close to your optimum value. Good luck with your project!

Related to List of materials and their damping properties

What is the purpose of a list of materials and their damping properties?

A list of materials and their damping properties is used to provide information on the ability of different materials to absorb and dissipate energy, specifically in the form of vibrations and mechanical waves. This information is important in various fields, such as engineering, acoustics, and materials science, to determine the most suitable material for a specific application.

How are damping properties of materials measured?

Damping properties of materials are typically measured using techniques such as Dynamic Mechanical Analysis (DMA) or Impact Resonance Analysis (IRA). These methods involve subjecting a material to different types of vibrations or mechanical stresses and measuring its response, such as its ability to dissipate energy, over a range of frequencies.

What factors affect the damping properties of a material?

The damping properties of a material can be affected by various factors, including its composition, structure, density, and temperature. Additionally, the type and intensity of the external force or vibration, as well as the frequency at which it is applied, can also impact the damping behavior of a material.

Why is it important to consider damping properties when selecting a material?

Damping properties play a crucial role in the performance and durability of a material in different applications. For instance, in structural engineering, a material with high damping properties can help reduce vibrations and prevent structural damage. In acoustics, materials with low damping properties are preferred to minimize sound absorption. Therefore, considering damping properties is essential in selecting a material that can meet the specific requirements of a given application.

Are there any limitations to using a list of materials and their damping properties?

While a list of materials and their damping properties can provide valuable information, it is important to note that these properties can vary depending on the testing method, conditions, and other factors. Therefore, the data in the list should be used as a guide and not as an absolute value. It is recommended to conduct further testing and analysis to determine the specific damping properties of a material for a particular application.