List of drag coefficient for basic shapes has no angles

In summary, when searching for "drag coefficient" on Google, a standard list of geometrical shapes appears, including a cone with a drag coefficient of 0.50. However, the degrees and angle of the sides are not shown, which may be important. There is no definitive ratio for a standard cone, but the Collins dictionary defines it as a shape with a circular base and smooth curved sides ending in a point at the top. The drag coefficient is an approximation and is affected by factors such as the Reynolds number and cone angle. More research and references may be needed for a more accurate estimate.
B92X
When I type "drag coefficient" in Google, and view some of the images, the standard list of geometrical shapes come into view, such as this one:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/37/14ilf1l.svg/220px-14ilf1l.svg.png

If we take the cone for example, there is a drag coefficient of 0.50. But I can't see the degrees, or the angle of the sides. Is not that very relevant?

Is there a "standard cone" with certain ratios?

Physics news on Phys.org
B92X said:
When I type "drag coefficient" in Google, and view some of the images, the standard list of geometrical shapes come into view, such as this one:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/37/14ilf1l.svg/220px-14ilf1l.svg.png

If we take the cone for example, there is a drag coefficient of 0.50. But I can't see the degrees, or the angle of the sides. Is not that very relevant?

Is there a "standard cone" with certain ratios?
What is your guess?

Chestermiller said:
What is your guess?

I looked at the Collins dictionary, and it states that "a cone is a shape with a circular base and https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/smooth curved sides https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/ending in a point at the top."

I can't seem to find a definitive ratio, this would be far more obvious for a cube as it's edges are clearly at 90 degrees.

The value is just an approximation. Certainly, the drag coefficient will also be a function of the Reynolds number and of the cone angle. But, to get a rough estimate, using 0.5 is probably going to give a decent approximation over a typical range of Reynolds numbers and cone angles. My advice is to keep looking for additional information and references if you need a more accurate estimate.

Likes B92X

Related to List of drag coefficient for basic shapes has no angles

1. What is a drag coefficient?

A drag coefficient is a dimensionless quantity that represents the resistance of an object moving through a fluid (such as air or water). It is a measure of how easily the fluid can flow around the object, with lower drag coefficients indicating less resistance and higher drag coefficients indicating more resistance.

2. Why is it important to know the drag coefficient for basic shapes with no angles?

Understanding the drag coefficient for basic shapes with no angles is important in various fields, such as aerodynamics and fluid dynamics. It allows scientists and engineers to predict the behavior of objects moving through fluids and design more efficient and streamlined shapes to reduce drag and improve performance.

3. How is the drag coefficient for basic shapes with no angles determined?

The drag coefficient for basic shapes with no angles is determined through experiments and simulations. Scientists use wind tunnels and computational fluid dynamics (CFD) software to measure the drag force on the object and calculate the drag coefficient based on its size, shape, and speed.

4. What are some examples of basic shapes with no angles?

Examples of basic shapes with no angles include spheres, cylinders, and cubes. These shapes have smooth and rounded surfaces, which results in lower drag coefficients compared to shapes with sharp angles and edges.

5. How does the drag coefficient for basic shapes with no angles affect real-life applications?

The drag coefficient for basic shapes with no angles has significant implications in various real-life applications. For example, in the automotive industry, car manufacturers use streamlined designs to reduce drag and improve fuel efficiency. In sports, athletes and equipment designers use knowledge of drag coefficients to improve performance in activities such as cycling, swimming, and skiing.