Liquid Regions of Mantle May Underlie Plumes

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Liquid
In summary, according to the article, there is evidence that suggests there may be liquid at the base of the Icelandic mantle plume. The data is convincing, but the authors are a bit overconfident in their interpretation of it.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A news article in Science magazine discusses seizmic ultralow-velocity zones (800 km across x 15 km tall).
Some people think the seizmic ultralow-velocity zones could be liquid.
They are thought to underlie rising mantle plumes.

Likes davenn, 1oldman2 and jim mcnamara
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
BillTre said:
A news article in Science magazine discusses seizmic ultralow-velocity zones (800 km across x 15 km tall).
Some people think the seizmic ultralow-velocity zones could be liquid.
They are thought to underlie rising mantle plumes.

hmmmm a couple of new thoughts :smile: But the overall idea as said has been known for some time

To release heat from the liquid outer core, the solid rock in Earth’s mantle moves in slow, convective swirls, like a churning pot of hot syrup.

interesting contradiction ... the mantle isn't really solid

ohhh BTW, its seismic, not seizmic :wink:Dave

The mantle is solid dave! Otherwise how would shear waves go through? It's not rigid, and deforms visco-plastically, but it is solid!

BTW, interesting topic and nice study... I will report back once I've had time to read the actual paper.

EDIT: added a brief report.

Ok so the seismology is very convincing. There is definitely something down there right at the base of the Iceland plume, and that something is definitely slow. Furthermore, the geometry of this feature is pretty well constrained to first order: it's a short and stout cylinder.

The interpretation becomes a bit muddier and the authors are a bit overconfident in suggesting it to be melt.
It could be partially molten material (imagine porous rock with a few % of melt -- don't make the common misconception of imagining it to be pure melt). Or it could be a pure solid with an iron-rich composition. Either model could explain the data equally well by making seismic waves travel slowly, and it is the author's tastes that lend them to side with the melt interpretation.

Last edited:
billiards said:
The mantle is solid dave! Otherwise how would shear waves go through? It's not rigid, and deforms visco-plastically, but it is solid!

not solid as in the crust ... it is very pliable ... I WASNT inferring it was totally liquid ... am not that stupid

davenn said:
not solid as in the crust ... it is very pliable ... I WASNT inferring it was totally liquid ... am not that stupid

Dave I know you know and by no means was challenging your clearly very high intelligence! :smile:

I just wanted to make sure, for the record, that no one came away with the misunderstanding that the mantle was in any way not a solid. It's a common misconception. I remember, I was taught in a high-school text book that the mantle was liquid and that's why you got molten lava coming out of volcanoes! Wrong wrong wrong! LOL Just want to put that myth to bed once and for all!

Related to Liquid Regions of Mantle May Underlie Plumes

1. What are the liquid regions of the mantle?

The liquid regions of the mantle refer to areas within the Earth's mantle where the rock is partially molten, meaning it has both solid and liquid components. These regions are known as the asthenosphere and the lower mantle.

2. How do these liquid regions potentially create plumes?

The liquid regions of the mantle can create plumes through a process called convection. As hot, less dense material rises from the liquid regions to the cooler, denser areas above, it can form a plume that can reach the Earth's surface.

3. What evidence supports the existence of these liquid regions?

Scientists have used various methods to study the Earth's interior, including seismic waves, geochemical analysis, and numerical modeling. These methods have revealed differences in temperature, density, and composition within the mantle, providing evidence for the existence of liquid regions.

4. How do these liquid regions affect the movement of tectonic plates?

The liquid regions of the mantle play a significant role in the movement of tectonic plates. As the liquid material rises and falls, it creates convection currents that can push or pull on the overlying plates, influencing their movement and direction.

5. What implications do these liquid regions have for the Earth's geology?

The presence of liquid regions in the mantle has significant implications for the Earth's geology. It helps explain the movement of tectonic plates, the formation of volcanic hotspots, and the recycling of material within the Earth's interior. Understanding these processes can provide insight into the Earth's past and present geological activity.