Liquid flow (river), viscosity, force, height etc.

In summary, The conversation discusses a problem involving the flow of water in a broad channel at a small angle to the horizontal. The first part of the problem is to find an expression for the velocity of the surface of the water. The second part involves calculating the height of the river surface between two points, given the depth, surface water velocity, and viscosity of the water. The conversation also briefly mentions another problem involving calculating the force on a plate placed in a river.
ApeXaviour
Hi. This is a two part question, I'm pretty sure about the first bit but in the second part my answer seems a bit weird. Not the order of magnitude I was expecting. Just wondering can anyone confirm or deny my suspician? Point me in more correct direction if I am indeed wrong. This isn't for anything, its just a problem sheet given out and this last question has been bugging me :)

(i)Water flows down a broad channel at an angle [tex]\theta[/tex] to the horizontal. [tex]\theta[/tex] is sufficiently small that the flow is laminar. By balancing the pressure from the gradient with the shear force due to viscosity (i.e. constant velocity flow) find an expression for the velocity of the surface of the water. Recall that the velocity adjacent to the channel bed is zero.

(ii)If the Liffey[A river in Dublin :redface:] is 5m deep, the surface water velocity is 0.3m/s and the viscosity of the water is 10^-3 kg/ms, find the height of the river surface between heuston stn and talbot bridge, a distance of 2km.

This is what I've got so far:

[tex]u[/tex] is the velocity
[tex]\rho[/tex] density of the water
[tex]z[/tex] is the height off the river bed (water depth when at surface)
[tex]\tau[/tex] is the shear stress
[tex]\eta[/tex] the viscosity
[tex]w l[/tex] arbitrary width and lengthThe shear stress between planes in a liquid is: [tex]\tau = \eta \frac{du}{dz}[/tex]

So the total force per unit area is

[tex]\frac{F_\tau}{A} = w l \eta \frac{du}{dz}[/tex]

Which must be equal to the gravitational force per unit area for steady flow:
[tex]\frac{F_g}{A} = m g Sin(\theta) = w l z \rho g Sin(\theta)[/tex]

so:
[tex]w l \eta \frac{du}{dz}= w l z \rho g Sin(\theta)[/tex]

[tex] \int_0^u \,du = \int_0^z \frac{z \rho g Sin(\theta)}{\eta} \,dz[/tex]
And hence the surface velocity is given by:
[tex] u = \frac{z^{2} \rho g Sin(\theta)}{2 \eta} [/tex]

So when I put in the figures I get
[tex]Sin(\theta) = \frac{2 u \eta}{z^{2} \rho g} = 2.4 \times 10^{-9} \cong \theta[/tex]

Then from triginometric relations, H the height change is given by:

[tex](2 \times 10^{3})(Tan(\theta)) \cong (\theta)(2 \times 10^{3}) = 4.8 \times 10^{-6}m[/tex] Which to me seems - and maybe my intuition is out of whack - just a little ridiculous.

Thanks
-Dec

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi
Sorry I can't help with your problem, maybe you could help with mine?
I would like to calculate the force on a 1X1 m plate placed in a river against the flow. The river flows at about 5 kmph and has a flow rate of 320 cubic metres per second. I don't have the width or depth of the river it is a big river. I hope you guys can help.

Regards

Tony Elston

Related to Liquid flow (river), viscosity, force, height etc.

1. What is the difference between laminar and turbulent flow?

Laminar flow is a smooth, orderly flow of liquid with layers that move parallel to each other. Turbulent flow, on the other hand, is a chaotic and unpredictable flow with irregular movements and mixing of different layers of liquid.

2. How does the viscosity of a liquid affect its flow?

Viscosity is a measure of a liquid's resistance to flow. The higher the viscosity, the more resistance there is to flow, resulting in slower and more laminar flow. Lower viscosity liquids, on the other hand, have less resistance and can flow more easily, often resulting in turbulent flow.

3. What is the relationship between force and the height of a liquid in a river?

In a river, the force of the flowing water is directly related to the height of the liquid. The higher the water level, the greater the force of the flowing water. This is because the weight of the water increases with height, creating a greater force on the surrounding area.

4. How does the speed of a river's flow affect erosion and sediment transport?

The speed of a river's flow is a major factor in erosion and sediment transport. High flow speeds can erode the riverbed and banks, carrying sediment downstream. Slower flow speeds allow sediment to settle and accumulate, which can change the shape and direction of the river's flow.

5. Can the height and flow of a river be affected by factors other than water volume?

Yes, the height and flow of a river can also be affected by factors such as the shape of the river channel, changes in elevation, and the presence of obstacles or structures. These factors can alter the direction and speed of the flow, ultimately affecting the height and force of the river's flow.