Lipschitz Continuity and Uniqueness

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between Lipschitz continuity and uniqueness of solutions in differential equations. It is established that if a differential equation is Lipschitz continuous, then the solution is unique. However, the implication in the other direction does not hold, as there are examples of equations that are not Lipschitz continuous but still have a unique solution. A counterexample is provided and a question is posed about the possibility of a unique solution even if the equation is L-continuous in 0. Hendrik shares a resource where this question is addressed by Bernis and Qwang, and also provides an example of a first degree differential equation that has multiple solutions due to lack of Lipschitz continuity at 0.
Kajsa_Stina
Dear all,

If a differential equation is Lipschitz continuous, then the solution is unique. But what about the implication in the other direction? I know that uniqueness does not imply Lipschitz continuity. But is there a counterexample? A differential equation that is not L-continuous, still the solution is unique?
I would really like to know the answer to this question.
Thank you all for your help,

Hendrik

Physics news on Phys.org
Now I have found an answer to my question:

http://archive.numdam.org/ARCHIVE/A..._1996_6_5_4_577_0/ AFST_1996_6_5_4_577_0.pdf

or, rather, Bernis and Qwang have found an answer. However, my differential equation is only of first degree, like

\dot K(t) = F(K(t))

One example would be F(K) = K^\alpha with 0 < \alpha < 1, then you get multiple solutions if you start from K = 0. But that's not surprising, because the differential equation is not Lipschitz continuous in K = 0. My question now would be: Is it possible to have a unique solution even if F were L-continuous in 0?

Thanks, many greetings,
Hendrik

Last edited by a moderator:

Dear Hendrik,

Thank you for your question. You are correct that uniqueness of a solution does not necessarily imply Lipschitz continuity. In fact, there are examples of differential equations that are not Lipschitz continuous, yet still have a unique solution.

One such example is the equation y' = √|y|, which is known as the Van der Pol equation. This equation does not satisfy the Lipschitz condition, as the derivative of √|y| is unbounded near y = 0. However, it can be shown that this equation still has a unique solution for any given initial condition.

This example highlights the fact that Lipschitz continuity is a sufficient condition for uniqueness, but not a necessary one. There are other conditions, such as the Picard-Lindelöf theorem, that can also guarantee uniqueness of solutions without requiring Lipschitz continuity.

I hope this helps answer your question. If you have any further inquiries, please don't hesitate to ask.

Related to Lipschitz Continuity and Uniqueness

What is Lipschitz continuity?

Lipschitz continuity is a mathematical property of functions that measures how much the function's output changes in relation to small changes in its input. A function is Lipschitz continuous if there exists a constant value, called the Lipschitz constant, that bounds the rate of change for the function.

Why is Lipschitz continuity important?

Lipschitz continuity is important because it guarantees the stability and smoothness of a function. It ensures that small changes in the input of a function will result in equally small changes in the output, which is essential for many mathematical and scientific applications.

How is Lipschitz continuity related to uniqueness?

Lipschitz continuity is closely related to the uniqueness of solutions to mathematical problems. In general, if a function is Lipschitz continuous, then the solutions to problems involving that function will be unique. This is because the Lipschitz constant bounds the rate of change of the function, preventing multiple solutions from occurring.

What are some examples of Lipschitz continuous functions?

Some common examples of Lipschitz continuous functions include polynomials, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions. These functions have a bounded rate of change and thus satisfy the definition of Lipschitz continuity.

How is Lipschitz continuity different from other types of continuity?

Lipschitz continuity is a stronger form of continuity than other types, such as uniform continuity or continuity in the sense of limits. This is because it not only guarantees the existence of limits for a function, but also the boundedness of its rate of change. Additionally, Lipschitz continuity can hold for functions that are not necessarily continuous in other senses.