Liouville equation with Dirac delta as probability density

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to the Liouville equation, ∂ρ/∂t=-{ρ,H}, with the initial condition ρ(t=0)=δ(q,p), where δ(q,p) is a Dirac delta centered at a point (q,p) in phase space. The suggested solution is ρ(t)=δ(q(t),p(t)), where q(t) and p(t) are trajectories satisfying the Hamilton equations of motion. The conversation also includes a discussion on the nature of Dirac delta and how it applies to the Liouville equation.
andresB
I would like to know the solution to Liouville equation
∂ρ/∂t=-{ρ,H}

given the initial condition

ρ(t=0)=δ(q,p)

where δ(q,p) is a dirac delta centered in some point (q,p) in phase space.

I have the feeling, but I'm not sure, that the solution is of the form

ρ(t)=δ(q(t),p(t))

where q(t) and p(t) are the trajectories from Hamilton equations.

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try inserting your suspicion into the Liouville equation to see if it does solve it?

Note that your suspicion is actually
$$
\rho(q,p,t) = \delta(q-q(t),p-p(t)),
$$
where ##q(t)## and ##p(t)## are just functions of time (that satisfy the Hamilton equations of motion), when expressed properly.

Orodruin said:
Did you try inserting your suspicion into the Liouville equation to see if it does solve it?

I tried, but it is confusing to me due to the nature of Dirac delta. Liouville equation read
##∂δ/∂t= -(∂δ/∂q)(∂H/∂p) + (∂δ/∂p)(∂H/∂q)## (1)

Equality should be understood in the distribution sense. Using a test function ##F(q,p)##, I get for the left hand side of (1)

##∫F(q,p) ∂δ/∂t dqdp= ∂/∂t∫F(q,p)δ(q-q(t),p-p(t) dqdp= ∂F(q(t),p(t))/∂t##

But I'm unsure how to prove the equality to the right hand side of (1).

You do not need to use test functions. Just apply the standard rules of derivatives that hold also for distributions. Take it step by step and show your work.

Related to Liouville equation with Dirac delta as probability density

1) What is the Liouville equation with Dirac delta as probability density?

The Liouville equation with Dirac delta as probability density is a mathematical equation that describes the evolution of a system's probability density function over time. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of particles in a given system.

2) How is the Liouville equation with Dirac delta as probability density derived?

The Liouville equation with Dirac delta as probability density is derived from the more general Liouville equation, which describes the time evolution of a system's phase space density. This equation is then modified to include a Dirac delta function, which represents the probability density of a specific state in the system.

3) What is the significance of using a Dirac delta as the probability density in the Liouville equation?

Using a Dirac delta as the probability density in the Liouville equation allows for the study of systems with discrete energy levels. This is especially useful in quantum mechanics, where particles can only occupy certain energy states.

4) Can the Liouville equation with Dirac delta as probability density be solved analytically?

In most cases, the Liouville equation with Dirac delta as probability density cannot be solved analytically. This is due to the complex nature of the equation and the fact that the Dirac delta function introduces discontinuities that make it difficult to solve using traditional methods. However, numerical methods can be used to approximate solutions.

5) What are some real-world applications of the Liouville equation with Dirac delta as probability density?

The Liouville equation with Dirac delta as probability density has many applications in physics, particularly in the field of quantum mechanics. It is used to study the behavior of particles in a variety of systems, such as atoms, molecules, and solid-state materials. It is also used in the development of quantum computing and in the study of quantum chaos.