[Linux] Last Semester of College Which distro?

In summary, the person is starting their last semester of college and needs to use Linux for their classes. They have used Ubuntu and Debian in the past but never felt fully comfortable with it. They are considering using Gentoo for the next semester to learn more about the "guts" of Linux. Another person suggests using ArchLinux or LinuxMint for their different features and levels of difficulty. They also mention that it is possible to learn about the Linux "guts" with any distribution. They suggest checking out Linux From Scratch for learning about this.
SuperMiguel
So i will start my last semester of college in few days... I am taking few clases that require me to use linux, specially a android programming class (i know i can use windows, but to much ram limitations) i been using on and off ubuntu/debian for about 5 years, but never really felt really really comfortable with it, like i was able to install/remove programs edits files, basic basic, but never understood it at the kernel level.. So I am thinking about just running linux for the next semester, but i want to run something a bit harder than just ubuntu, something that will force me to learn the linux guts... So I am thinking to install Gentoo in my laptop (Sony Z13) what you guys think?? Still worth it to run Gentoo this days?? Ill be mostly doing C/C++ and android programming (using the Eclipse IDE)

Technology news on Phys.org
How much harder than Ubuntu are you looking for?

On my "development laptop", I use ArchLinux (https://www.archlinux.org/). The distro itself is barebones. You have to pick and choose what you want through the built-in repository. You have to be very comfortable with the Linux terminal and commands though...no pretty GUI software downloader.

On my "gaming / everyday use laptop", I use LinuxMint. Its a lot like Ubuntu from a linux standpoint, but feels / acts more like Windows. I chose it to make it easier on the family.

I don't think it much matters, you can get neck deep in the guts of Linux with Ubuntu or Mint if you want to. Do you actually want to do kernel level C programming, or are you just wanting to learn a bit more everyday Linux-fu like Bash scripting and programming in your favourite language (with all that that entails in terms of installing software, setting up servers, build tools, etc)

Might I point you in the direction of this, for learning about Linux guts.

Linux From Scratch

Related to [Linux] Last Semester of College Which distro?

1. What is a Linux distribution?

A Linux distribution, or distro, is a collection of software that includes the Linux operating system, along with various applications, tools, and utilities. Each distro is unique in terms of its design, purpose, and target audience.

2. How do I choose the right distro for my last semester of college?

Choosing the right distro depends on your specific needs and preferences. Consider factors such as the software and applications you will need for your studies, the level of technical expertise you have, and the user interface you prefer. Research and try out different distros to find the best fit for you.

3. What are some popular distros for college students?

Some popular distros for college students include Ubuntu, Linux Mint, and Fedora. These distros are user-friendly, have a wide range of software and applications available, and have strong communities for support and troubleshooting.

4. Can I use a Linux distro alongside my current operating system?

Yes, you can use a Linux distro alongside your current operating system through dual booting or virtualization. This allows you to switch between the two operating systems as needed.

5. Is it necessary to learn Linux for my last semester of college?

It depends on your field of study and career goals. If you plan on pursuing a career in a technical field or working with computers, learning Linux can be beneficial. However, if your field does not require it, it may not be necessary. It is always helpful to have a basic understanding of different operating systems, but it ultimately depends on your personal goals.