Linking physics interest with civil engineer [2 out of 1]

In summary, the speaker is completing their bachelors in civil engineering but has a passion for physics. They are interested in pursuing a field that combines both and eventually obtaining a PhD. They have identified transportation engineering and hydraulics as potential options and are seeking advice on which one to choose.
tesla_
Dear friends,
I am completing my bachelors in engineering in civil engineering this year. I always had a inclination towards physics from childhood but followed the most usual path of engineering due to family.
Now, my plan is to go into a field which is similar to physics or requires intensive physics and do my PhD later in it. I have been able to find out transportation engineering and hydraulics as two fields which are under civil engineering but requiring physics input.
Now, please tell me which should i go for ? And please attach why you think so.

Thanks people!

Physics news on Phys.org
PLease reply.

Related to Linking physics interest with civil engineer [2 out of 1]

1. What are some examples of how physics and civil engineering are linked?

Physics and civil engineering are closely related fields, as physics principles are applied in various aspects of civil engineering. Some examples include using principles of mechanics and thermodynamics in structural engineering, applying fluid mechanics in hydraulic engineering, and utilizing electrical principles in the design of electrical systems in buildings.

2. How can having an interest in physics benefit a civil engineer?

Having an interest in physics can benefit a civil engineer in many ways. Understanding the fundamental concepts of physics can help a civil engineer in problem-solving, analyzing complex systems, and designing innovative solutions. Additionally, knowledge of physics can also help in predicting and mitigating potential risks in construction projects.

3. Is a strong background in physics necessary for a career in civil engineering?

While having a strong background in physics can definitely be beneficial for a career in civil engineering, it is not essential. Many universities offer introductory physics courses specifically designed for civil engineering students, and practical experience gained through internships and on-the-job training can also help develop the necessary skills for the field.

4. Can a civil engineer work in the field of physics?

While civil engineering and physics are closely related, they are distinct fields with different focuses. A civil engineer can certainly apply physics principles in their work, but they may not necessarily work in the field of physics. However, a civil engineer may choose to pursue further education or research opportunities in physics if they have a strong interest in the subject.

5. Are there any specific areas of physics that are particularly relevant to civil engineering?

There are several areas of physics that are highly relevant to civil engineering, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and optics. These fields provide the foundation for understanding the behavior of materials, structures, and systems commonly encountered in civil engineering projects. Additionally, knowledge of other branches of physics, such as electromagnetism and acoustics, can also be useful in certain areas of civil engineering.