Linking Fourier Transform, Vectors and Complex Numbers

In summary, the modulus and argument of a Fourier-Transformed signal represent the amplitude and phase, respectively, of the frequency component at that particular frequency.
galaxy_twirl

Homework Statement

2jaf9yv.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to attempt the question but I am not sure how to start it, at least for part (i).

My biggest question, I think, is how does the multiplication of a random complex number to a Fourier-Transformed signal (V(f)) have an effect on V(f)? Although the question did not specify the type of signal that has been Fourier-Transformed, I shall assume that the original signal is a cosine waveform, as shown below:

2w6w5d2.png
with fm=1.

In the question, it also mentioned to visualise V(f) and cV(f) as vectors in the complex plane, but how should I do it? Are there any diagrams online that show me how to represent cV(f) and V(f) as vectors in the complex plane?

Thank you. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd suggest you start by answering the following:
  1. For some frequency ##f##, what does the modulus and argument of ##V(f)## represent? The first paragraph of the Wiki should be helpful.
  2. If you have two complex numbers in polar form ##z_1 = r_1\angle\phi_1,z_2 = r_2\angle\phi_2##, what is their product ##z_1 z_2## equal to?

milesyoung said:
I'd suggest you start by answering the following:
  1. For some frequency ##f##, what does the modulus and argument of ##V(f)## represent? The first paragraph of the Wiki should be helpful.
  2. If you have two complex numbers in polar form ##z_1 = r_1\angle\phi_1,z_2 = r_2\angle\phi_2##, what is their product ##z_1 z_2## equal to?

1. The modulus of ##V(f)## represents the amplitude of ##v(t)##, while the argument of ##V(f)## represents the phase angle of ##v(f)##.

2. The product should be equals to ##r_1r_2\angle(\phi_1+\phi_2)##. Am I right to say this?

Thank you. :)

galaxy_twirl said:
1. The modulus of ##V(f)## represents the amplitude of ##v(t)##, while the argument of ##V(f)## represents the phase angle of ##v(f)##.
The modulus and argument of ##V(f)## represents the amplitude and phase, respectively, of the frequency component at ##f##, but you get the idea.

galaxy_twirl said:
2. The product should be equals to ##r_1r_2\angle(\phi_1+\phi_2)##. Am I right to say this?
Yes, you are. For your first question (i), you again have two complex numbers ##c## and ##V(f)##, so what can you say about their product ##cV(f)##?

milesyoung said:
Yes, you are. For your first question (i), you again have two complex numbers ##c## and ##V(f)##, so what can you say about their product ##cV(f)##?

There will be an increase in the amplitude of the wave which has been Fourier Transformed, while for the angle, it would be shifted x radians away to the left, since the angles will add up when ##c## is multiplied to ##V(f)##. Am I right to say this? :)

galaxy_twirl said:
There will be an increase in the amplitude of the wave which has been Fourier Transformed, while for the angle, it would be shifted x radians away to the left, since the angles will add up when ##c## is multiplied to ##V(f)##. Am I right to say this? :)
You're talking about the vector interpretation of complex numbers? Like, if ##\arg(c)## is positive, the vector ##V(f)## would be scaled and rotated counterclockwise in the complex plane? That's how I understand what you wrote, and it's true, so it seems you already know everything you need to solve your assignment.

Do you have any questions?

I was visualising it from a mathematical viewpoint, as in the earlier question, multiplying 2 complex numbers, ##z_1## and ##z_2##.

Right now, I still can't really link the vector diagram of complex numbers to the plot of amplitude-frequency of waves, I think. >< The latter, from my point of view, is a diagram of spikes coming out at different frequencies, depending on the original wave.

I do agree that the vector ##V(f)## will be rotated anti-clockwise as the summing of angles is positive.

Thanks a lot for your help! :D

galaxy_twirl said:
Right now, I still can't really link the vector diagram of complex numbers to the plot of amplitude-frequency of waves, I think. >< The latter, from my point of view, is a diagram of spikes coming out at different frequencies, depending on the original wave.
Ah, you mean the amplitude spectrum, e.g:

Voicing%20Fig%203.gif

But that's just a plot of ##|V(f)|## over some interval of ##f##, i.e. it's a plot of the modulus of ##V(f)##. In some contexts, you also include the phase spectrum, which is just a plot of ##\arg(V(f))##.

Does that help?

milesyoung said:
Ah, you mean the amplitude spectrum, e.g:

Voicing%20Fig%203.gif

But that's just a plot of ##|V(f)|## over some interval of ##f##, i.e. it's a plot of the modulus of ##V(f)##. In some contexts, you also include the phase spectrum, which is just a plot of ##\arg(V(f))##.

Does that help?

I see. Yupp, I meant that. Haha. That was the diagram shown in my lecture notes, so I can link to it better. :)

Yes, and thank you so much for your help! :D I should be fine with my assignment now.

Related to Linking Fourier Transform, Vectors and Complex Numbers

1. How are Fourier Transform, Vectors and Complex Numbers related?

The Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a complex signal into its constituent frequencies. This operation involves the use of complex numbers, which are numbers with both a real and imaginary component. Vectors, which represent magnitude and direction, can also be thought of as complex numbers. Therefore, the Fourier Transform, vectors, and complex numbers are all interconnected in their mathematical properties and can be used to analyze and manipulate signals in different domains.

2. What is the role of complex numbers in Fourier Transform?

Complex numbers play a crucial role in Fourier Transform as they allow for the representation of both amplitude and phase information of a signal. The real component of a complex number represents the amplitude, while the imaginary component represents the phase. This representation is important in the analysis of signals in the frequency domain, where the amplitude and phase of each frequency component can be determined using complex numbers.

3. How can vectors be used in Fourier Transform?

Vectors can be used in Fourier Transform to represent signals in the time and frequency domains. In the time domain, a signal can be represented as a vector with each component representing a different time point. In the frequency domain, a signal can be represented as a vector with each component representing a different frequency. This allows for the manipulation and analysis of signals using vector operations, making it easier to understand the behavior of signals in different domains.

4. Can Fourier Transform be applied to any signal?

Yes, Fourier Transform can be applied to any signal, as long as it is periodic or can be approximated as periodic. This means that it can be used to analyze a wide range of signals, including audio, images, and even financial data. However, the accuracy and usefulness of the Fourier Transform may vary depending on the characteristics of the signal being analyzed.

5. Are there any limitations to using Fourier Transform with complex numbers and vectors?

While Fourier Transform is a powerful tool for signal analysis, there are some limitations to using it with complex numbers and vectors. One limitation is that it assumes the signal is stationary, meaning that its properties do not change over time. Additionally, the use of complex numbers and vectors may not always provide a complete understanding of a signal, as some signals may require more complex mathematical operations for analysis.