Linking 3-5W speakers to a 22W system?

• Thread starter Jarfi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
If you have a preamp or an amplifier of some sort that allows you to adjust the gain, you could try using that to boost the level of the 5W speakers. Alternatively, you could try using a speaker selector switch to switch between the 22W speakers and the 5W speakers.In summary, you have a CD player connected to two large speakers and you want to connect additional speakers that have a lower power rating. The CD player can output up to 22W with a load impedance of 4 Ohms, while the additional speakers are 5W and have an impedance of 8 Ohms. You can connect a maximum of two of these additional speakers in parallel, but the sound level may be lower than
Jarfi
I have this CD player, it is connected to two kind og large speakers. I have other speakers laying around that I wanted to connect to this CD hub, but these speakers are 3-5W while the hub says it is 22W. Then all of this is connected to my computer. The speakers have 8ohm resistance also, while the hub says "MIN 4 ohm". I tested linking it but the sound was kind of low, much lower then the main speakers. Can I link this or will it overheat and burn? or can I link this to my computer motherboard somehow? maybe splice the wires to some headphone base.

Any ideas on how to do this properly?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The power rating is not all that relevant here. The power source can output a maximum of 22W with a load impedance of 4 Ohms. Your 5W speakers are 8 Ohms, so you could connect a maximum of two of them in parallel.

I would expect the sound level output from a 5W speaker to be significantly less than that from a 22W speaker.

Related to Linking 3-5W speakers to a 22W system?

1. How do I know if my 3-5W speakers are compatible with a 22W system?

Before attempting to connect your speakers to the 22W system, you should check the power ratings for both devices. If the power rating for the speakers is within the range of 3-5W, they should be compatible with the 22W system. It is important to make sure the power ratings match to avoid damaging your speakers or the system.

2. Can I connect multiple 3-5W speakers to a 22W system?

Yes, you can connect multiple speakers to a 22W system as long as the combined power rating of the speakers does not exceed the power output of the system. For example, if you have two 5W speakers, the combined power output would be 10W. As long as this is within the 22W power output of the system, you can safely connect and use multiple speakers.

3. Do I need any additional equipment to connect my 3-5W speakers to a 22W system?

The only additional equipment you may need is speaker wire or cables to connect the speakers to the system. Make sure to check the connections on both the speakers and the system to ensure you have the correct type of cable. Some systems may also require an amplifier to boost the sound from the speakers.

4. Can I use my 3-5W speakers with a 22W system for outdoor events?

Yes, as long as the speakers and system are designed for outdoor use, you can safely use them for outdoor events. However, keep in mind that outdoor events may require a higher power output to reach a larger audience, so using additional speakers or a higher wattage system may be necessary.

5. Is there a specific way to connect my 3-5W speakers to a 22W system?

The specific method of connecting your speakers to the system may vary depending on the type of system and speakers you have. It is important to consult the user manual for both devices for specific instructions. In general, you will need to connect the speaker wire or cables to the corresponding audio inputs or outputs on both the speakers and the system.