Link between Universe mass density and Cosmic Microwave Background energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the critical density of the Universe, which is determined by the Hubble Constant and is equal to 3 H^2 / 8 Pi G. This density is equivalent to 8.6E-27 kg / m^3 and can be used to calculate the mass of a quantum particle using the Compton wavelength. The resulting density of the particle is equated to the critical density, allowing for the calculation of the particle's mass, which is 1.7E-38 kg or 1 meV / c^2. The coincidence of this value with the photon energy of the Cosmic Microwave Background is discussed, and it is suggested that this may not be surprising given the similar mass and radiation energy
johne1618
Present critical density of Universe

rho_crit = 3 H^2 / 8 Pi G

H = Hubble Constant = 2.2E-18 sec^-1

rho_crit = 8.6E-27 kg / m^3

What particle mass does this represent?

The length scale associated with a quantum particle of mass m is
the Compton wavelength lambda where

lambda = h / m c

This translates to the following density:

rho_particle = mass / volume

rho_particle = mass / lambda^3

rho_particle = m / (h / m c)^3

rho_particle = m^4 c^3 / h^3

Let us equate the two densities:

rho_particle = rho_crit

m^4 = h^3 * 8.6E-27 / c^3

m = 1.7E-38 kg

m = 1 meV / c^2

The Cosmic Microwave Background has a photon energy of 1 meV.

Surprising coincidence or not?

I suppose this is not surprising if the mass and radiation energy at
the recombination time were similar.

Or maybe it is surprising as mass density is supposed to scale as R^-3 whereas radiation density scales as R^-4.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
What's the coincidence?
What are you asking here?
What is the purpose of this?

I'm not sure what I'm getting at!

johne: why not try to explain to yourself, that is write down and maybe post, what each of your results means to you...make an interpretation of the math...

When I was in college I always found I learned the most when I tried to explain to myself in my own words what I was trying to learn...

There may have been some fine-tuning in the early universe to result in this coincidence.

However, it is important to note that this is only the critical density of the universe and does not account for the actual mass density of the universe. The actual mass density of the universe may be significantly different from this value, depending on the amount of dark matter and dark energy present. Therefore, it is not entirely accurate to make a direct link between the universe's mass density and the energy of the cosmic microwave background. Further research and observations are needed to fully understand the relationship between these two factors.

Related to Link between Universe mass density and Cosmic Microwave Background energy

What is the Universe mass density?

The Universe mass density refers to the amount of matter contained within a defined volume of space. It is typically measured in units of mass per unit volume, such as kilograms per cubic meter or grams per cubic centimeter.

What is the Cosmic Microwave Background energy?

The Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) energy is the thermal radiation left over from the Big Bang that permeates the entire Universe. It has a nearly uniform temperature of 2.7 Kelvin and is considered one of the strongest pieces of evidence for the Big Bang theory.

What is the link between Universe mass density and Cosmic Microwave Background energy?

The link between Universe mass density and Cosmic Microwave Background energy can be seen through the equations of the Friedmann–Lemaître–Robertson–Walker (FLRW) metric, which is used to describe the expansion of the Universe. The energy density of the CMB is directly related to the mass density of the Universe through the Hubble parameter and the critical density.

How does the Universe mass density affect the Cosmic Microwave Background energy?

The Universe mass density affects the Cosmic Microwave Background energy through its influence on the expansion of the Universe. A higher mass density means a stronger gravitational pull, which slows down the expansion of the Universe. This leads to a smaller Hubble parameter and a lower temperature of the CMB.

What can the study of the link between Universe mass density and Cosmic Microwave Background energy tell us about the history of the Universe?

Studying the link between Universe mass density and Cosmic Microwave Background energy can provide insight into the evolution of the Universe. By understanding the relationship between these two factors, scientists can better understand the expansion rate and geometry of the Universe, as well as the distribution of matter and energy throughout its history.