Linearizing tunnel diode equation

In summary, the problem rjspurling is having is determining B and D from Ln(I) and Ln(V) - V, respectively. He is going to use excel to find them. If there was no V term before the exponential term, then eq(3) would be the equation he would be looking for.
rjspurling

Homework Statement

Hi, I need to produce a linearized equation of the following,

I = D. V. exp(-V/B)
eq(1)​

I is the current
V is the voltage
D is a constant
B is a constant

Data was collected in an experiment designed to investigate the characteristics of a tunnel diode. I didn't do the experiment myself, I just have to find the linearized form of eq(1) and determine the constants D and B. I have a set of I values and a set of V values given to me to allow me to calculate the constants.

Homework Equations

I = D. V. exp(-V/B)
eq(1)​

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem I am having is the V term before the exponential term.

Taking logs of both sides,
Ln(I) = Ln(D) + Ln(V) - V/B
eq(2)​

I'm going to use excel to determine B and D. I'm just not sure how to graph it. If there was no V term before the exponential term then it would be,

Ln(I) = Ln(D) - V/B
eq(3)​

and i could simply graph Ln(I) vs V, and 1/B would be my gradient and Ln(D) would be my y-intercept. I can't do this for eq(2) though because of the Ln(V) term.

If I graphed Ln(I) vs Ln(v) - V, i can't determine B. I just can't seem to find a way to do it. I'm sure there's a simply way. I just need to work out how to bring the V's together.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi rjspurling! Welcome to PF! :smile:
rjspurling said:
Hi, I need to produce a linearized equation of the following,

I = D. V. exp(-V/B)

If I graphed Ln(I) vs Ln(v) - V, i can't determine B. I just can't seem to find a way to do it. I'm sure there's a simply way. I just need to work out how to bring the V's together.

Stop trying to keep I and V separate …

you're allowed to mix-and-match! :wink:

Hint: you want an equation with B on the LHS, and a fraction on the RHS. :smile:

argh mixing, of course!

Ln(I) = Ln(D) + Ln(V) - V/B

Ln(I) - Ln(V) = Ln(D) - V/B

Ln(I/V) = Ln(D) - V/B

Ln(I/V) vs V

Ln(D) is the y-intercept.

-1/B is the gradient.

I think that's it.

Thanks tiny-tim! much appreciated.

Related to Linearizing tunnel diode equation

1. What is the equation for a tunnel diode?

The equation for a tunnel diode is given by I=Ip(1-(V/Vp)2), where I is the current, Ip is the peak current, V is the voltage, and Vp is the peak voltage.

2. How do you linearize the tunnel diode equation?

To linearize the tunnel diode equation, we can take the natural logarithm of both sides: ln(I) = ln(Ip) - 2ln(V/Vp). This will result in a linear relationship between ln(I) and ln(V/Vp).

3. What is the purpose of linearizing the tunnel diode equation?

The purpose of linearizing the tunnel diode equation is to make it easier to analyze the behavior of the diode and to extract important parameters such as the peak current and peak voltage.

4. How do we interpret the slope and intercept of the linearized tunnel diode equation?

The slope of the linearized tunnel diode equation is equal to -2, which corresponds to the power law relationship between the current and voltage in a tunnel diode. The intercept is ln(Ip), which represents the peak current of the diode.

5. Can the linearized tunnel diode equation be used for all values of voltage and current?

No, the linearized tunnel diode equation is only valid for small signal analysis, meaning it can only be used for small variations in voltage and current around the operating point of the diode. For larger variations, the non-linear equation must be used.